DebateFort - Where Warriors Come To Debate
RAGECRY - Funny, Amusing, Interesting, Trending & Viral Videos and Images
GameOrc - Free Flash Games Online

Poll: Revolutionary?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Donator
    D3DR3VO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    A Box
    Posts
    1,359
    Reputation
    32
    Thanks
    74
    My Mood
    Amused

    Was the American Revolution really Revolutionary?

    Ok I came across this in one of my essays I had to write.
    I would like to know your guy's opinion on if the American Revolution was really a Revolution.

    If you say Yes or No, I would like to hear why it is and why it isn't.
    It can include some good facts or it can include very little detailed facts.

    So lets begin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Valid keys, he gave me one himself.

    ____________________________
    Need help? Pm me
    ___________________________
    Please Press The Thanks If I Helped

  2. #2
    A light since forgotten.
    Donator
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Here and there.
    Posts
    16,337
    Reputation
    2545
    Thanks
    5,711
    My Mood
    Twisted
    ​Of course it was a revolution, what else could it possibly be classified as?

    For so long they had hunted me, the undying phantasms of the black infinity.

  3. #3
    Threadstarter
    Donator
    D3DR3VO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    A Box
    Posts
    1,359
    Reputation
    32
    Thanks
    74
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post
    ​Of course it was a revolution, what else could it possibly be classified as?
    War of Independence.
    I said to tell why you think it was or wasn't.
    This is one of the reason why people don't think the Revolution was really Revolutionary since all we did was kick out the British and have Rich White Elites take over.
    There was some minor things, but not a whole lot changed.
    We stayed with the same system as the British, hell the British abolished slavery faster then we did and we wrote the constitution stating that all men are equal yet we were hypocritical about it.
    Last edited by D3DR3VO; 09-25-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Valid keys, he gave me one himself.

    ____________________________
    Need help? Pm me
    ___________________________
    Please Press The Thanks If I Helped

  4. #4
    A light since forgotten.
    Donator
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Here and there.
    Posts
    16,337
    Reputation
    2545
    Thanks
    5,711
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DR3VO View Post
    War of Independence.
    I said to tell why you think it was or wasn't.
    This is one of the reason why people don't think the Revolution was really Revolutionary since all we did was kick out the British and have Rich White Elites take over.
    There was some minor things, but not a whole lot changed.
    We stayed with the same system as the British, hell the British abolished slavery faster then we did and we wrote the constitution stating that all men are equal yet we were hypocritical about it.
    "A revolution (from the Latin revolutio, "a turn around") is a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time."

    Monarchy ---> Constitutional Republic = Revolution

    ​Societal discrepancies aside, it was still a revolution.


    For so long they had hunted me, the undying phantasms of the black infinity.

  5. #5
    Advanced Member
    MPGH Member
    monkkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    161
    Reputation
    9
    Thanks
    19
    My Mood
    Fine
    Its often said that to the British it was a civil war. But the war was a revolution regardless and it meats the exact definition. "a forcible overthrow of a government or social order in favor of a new system."
    MPGH Veteran

  6. #6
    Threadstarter
    Donator
    D3DR3VO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    A Box
    Posts
    1,359
    Reputation
    32
    Thanks
    74
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by monkkiller View Post
    Its often said that to the British it was a civil war. But the war was a revolution regardless and it meats the exact definition. "a forcible overthrow of a government or social order in favor of a new system."
    Yes that is only 1 type of change.
    But for the history of it it has to have change in more then just one.
    So it wasn't truly revolutionary, but revolution.
    In fact it wasn't a true revolution. The reason being is that a TRUE revolution allows 1.Social, 2.Political, and 3. Economic change to occur.

    in society nothing changed only the elite got more powerful for they drove the revolution forward and were put into a position of more power after the revolution.
    Economical nothing change either (no radical restructuring), since those in power after the revolution only lowered the high taxes that the British had imposed on the country
    --Hence the economic system of capitalism remained in use from pre-revolution to post-revolution
    its partial revolution.

    The thing is people will debate over it.

    But take a look at what a Social movement is - "are a type of group action. They are large informal groupings of individuals or organizations which focus on specific political or social issues. In other words, they carry out, resist or undo a social change."
    -wikipedia


    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post


    "A revolution (from the Latin revolutio, "a turn around") is a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time."

    Monarchy ---> Constitutional Republic = Revolution

    ​Societal discrepancies aside, it was still a revolution.

    Here is the issue we never destroyed the British's Government we merely separated from them.
    Now look at France that is a true Revolution.
    Last edited by D3DR3VO; 09-25-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Valid keys, he gave me one himself.

    ____________________________
    Need help? Pm me
    ___________________________
    Please Press The Thanks If I Helped

  7. #7
    A light since forgotten.
    Donator
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Here and there.
    Posts
    16,337
    Reputation
    2545
    Thanks
    5,711
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DR3VO View Post
    Yes that is only 1 type of change.
    But for the history of it it has to have change in more then just one.
    So it wasn't truly revolutionary, but revolution.
    In fact it wasn't a true revolution. The reason being is that a TRUE revolution allows 1.Social, 2.Political, and 3. Economic change to occur.

    in society nothing changed only the elite got more powerful for they drove the revolution forward and were put into a position of more power after the revolution.
    Economical nothing change either (no radical restructuring), since those in power after the revolution only lowered the high taxes that the British had imposed on the country
    --Hence the economic system of capitalism remained in use from pre-revolution to post-revolution
    its partial revolution.

    The thing is people will debate over it.

    But take a look at what a Social movement is - "are a type of group action. They are large informal groupings of individuals or organizations which focus on specific political or social issues. In other words, they carry out, resist or undo a social change."
    -wikipedia



    Here is the issue we never destroyed the British's Government we merely separated from them.
    Now look at France that is a true Revolution.
    Destruction isn't necessary.
    ​The colonies went from a Monarchy to Republic, that's a revolution.

    For so long they had hunted me, the undying phantasms of the black infinity.

  8. #8
    Threadstarter
    Donator
    D3DR3VO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    A Box
    Posts
    1,359
    Reputation
    32
    Thanks
    74
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post

    Destruction isn't necessary.
    ​The colonies went from a Monarchy to Republic, that's a revolution.
    Then it would be a Social Movement instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Valid keys, he gave me one himself.

    ____________________________
    Need help? Pm me
    ___________________________
    Please Press The Thanks If I Helped

  9. #9
    ☬Ξητσρζ Ζσ♍βε δτσηε☬
    Former Staff
    Donator
    Lehsyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,885
    Reputation
    1234
    Thanks
    2,970
    Let's make this simple. The colonists revolted against British rule. You can't say the colonists went to war with Britain, because they were not their own sovereign. You can not simply say they battled the British, as there were multiple battles. You can not say it was a civil war, because the land that was occupied did not specifically belong to the British, it was "claimed" by the British, as well if it were a civil war then Britain would be split into states owned by the United States.

    The colonists revolted against Britain for their freedom. It was a revolution because the people who revolted succeeded in their revolt.


    AvA Minion: 9/1/12 - N/A

  10. #10
    Threadstarter
    Donator
    D3DR3VO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    A Box
    Posts
    1,359
    Reputation
    32
    Thanks
    74
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    Let's make this simple. The colonists revolted against British rule. You can't say the colonists went to war with Britain, because they were not their own sovereign. You can not simply say they battled the British, as there were multiple battles. You can not say it was a civil war, because the land that was occupied did not specifically belong to the British, it was "claimed" by the British, as well if it were a civil war then Britain would be split into states owned by the United States.

    The colonists revolted against Britain for their freedom. It was a revolution because the people who revolted succeeded in their revolt.
    A revolt wouldn't be considered a revolution in this case.
    Since we would say people who revolted against the Catholics.
    Which it was called the protestant revolt and not the protestant revolution.

    So as I said above it would be a Social Movement since they just resisted the King in British.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Valid keys, he gave me one himself.

    ____________________________
    Need help? Pm me
    ___________________________
    Please Press The Thanks If I Helped

  11. #11
    ☬Ξητσρζ Ζσ♍βε δτσηε☬
    Former Staff
    Donator
    Lehsyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,885
    Reputation
    1234
    Thanks
    2,970
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DR3VO View Post
    A revolt wouldn't be considered a revolution in this case.
    Since we would say people who revolted against the Catholics.
    Which it was called the protestant revolt and not the protestant revolution.

    So as I said above it would be a Social Movement since they just resisted the King in British.
    They didn't just resist, they succeeded in overthrowing the British rule and completely changing their society and the way it works. Hence, revolution. It wasn't a simple "we don't like you, so suck it", it was a "we don't like you, so we're going to make a change". There is a massive difference.


    AvA Minion: 9/1/12 - N/A

  12. #12
    Threadstarter
    Donator
    D3DR3VO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    A Box
    Posts
    1,359
    Reputation
    32
    Thanks
    74
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post


    They didn't just resist, they succeeded in overthrowing the British rule and completely changing their society and the way it works. Hence, revolution. It wasn't a simple "we don't like you, so suck it", it was a "we don't like you, so we're going to make a change". There is a massive difference.
    But they really didn't change the society.
    What History says was that all they mainly did was change their type of government from a Monarchy to a Democracy owned by White Elites.
    The Social class didn't change nor did the Economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Valid keys, he gave me one himself.

    ____________________________
    Need help? Pm me
    ___________________________
    Please Press The Thanks If I Helped

  13. #13
    ☬Ξητσρζ Ζσ♍βε δτσηε☬
    Former Staff
    Donator
    Lehsyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,885
    Reputation
    1234
    Thanks
    2,970
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DR3VO View Post
    But they really didn't change the society.
    What History says was that all they mainly did was change their type of government from a Monarchy to a Democracy owned by White Elites.
    The Social class didn't change nor did the Economy.
    Au contrair. The economy did change, and quite drastically. The majority of all exports from the colonies, if not all, were taxes to Britain. The social classes were nonexistent, there were colonists and then there were British army. Some colonists may have had more land to work with, but all of the colonists had the ability to expand wherever they saw fit. The only ruling holding them down were the British. The British, up until that point, had very successfully created colonies in many different locations. America, as a band of colonists that were underpowered, out numbered, and out gunned, defeating the worlds only super power in that day and age, is considered a revolution, as the ones being oppressed successfully revolted against the super power oppressing them and established an independent geographical location under the name of the people who had won. That's a revolution. Everything changed. Position of power, economic state (no longer having their exports raped by taxes is a pretty large alteration to the economy), and quality of life.


    AvA Minion: 9/1/12 - N/A

  14. #14
    Threadstarter
    Donator
    D3DR3VO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    A Box
    Posts
    1,359
    Reputation
    32
    Thanks
    74
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post


    Au contrair. The economy did change, and quite drastically. The majority of all exports from the colonies, if not all, were taxes to Britain. The social classes were nonexistent, there were colonists and then there were British army. Some colonists may have had more land to work with, but all of the colonists had the ability to expand wherever they saw fit. The only ruling holding them down were the British. The British, up until that point, had very successfully created colonies in many different locations. America, as a band of colonists that were underpowered, out numbered, and out gunned, defeating the worlds only super power in that day and age, is considered a revolution, as the ones being oppressed successfully revolted against the super power oppressing them and established an independent geographical location under the name of the people who had won. That's a revolution. Everything changed. Position of power, economic state (no longer having their exports raped by taxes is a pretty large alteration to the economy), and quality of life.
    You are wrong again.
    The capita debt doubled during the 1664 and 1776.
    Lets not forget most of the Colonist products where from British.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Valid keys, he gave me one himself.

    ____________________________
    Need help? Pm me
    ___________________________
    Please Press The Thanks If I Helped

  15. #15
    ☬Ξητσρζ Ζσ♍βε δτσηε☬
    Former Staff
    Donator
    Lehsyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,885
    Reputation
    1234
    Thanks
    2,970
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DR3VO View Post
    You are wrong again.
    The capita debt doubled during the 1664 and 1776.
    Lets not forget most of the Colonist products where from British.
    We accumulated the debt because of the war itself, Andrew Jackson was able to eliminate all of our debt, yet after his term it accumulated once more. This does not make me wrong, as I never said America's debt was diminished. I said the quality of life, and the economic domain improved. America could not have debt before the Revolutionary war as it was owned by Britain, and Britain's debt would have been America's debt. However, once America was liberated from British rule and established itself, it could then be considered to have it's ow debt. Are you even reading everything other than what you want to hear? Because all of my information comes from the Bureau of Public Records. Pretty simple to look up.


    AvA Minion: 9/1/12 - N/A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Proof the Hitler was the first O.G
    By kublkun in forum General
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 10:04 AM
  2. Homosexuality- the american fascination
    By nobartholem in forum United States of America
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 02:38 AM
  3. A Message from the Iraqi Resistance to the American people
    By jeehad in forum Islam vs Western World
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 06:36 AM
  4. Ren and Stimpy was the best cartoon ever.
    By tednugent in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 09:38 PM