1. I got syllabuses from all my professors, and you will too, bring a notebook and pencil to write anything essential down.
2. Depends on what you mean, but I recommend listening to what professors say about their reading material. Some is essential, some is skippable.
3. Laptops > Tablets, really all i can say on this matter.
4. You may not be able to follow material, but try to torrent whatever you can and use the money saved for books that are more elusive.
5. Really depends on you, I wrote outlines of what was covered and tried to elaborate on that with my textbook/the internet. Attend all the lectures you can, it gets you so much leverage depending on the professor.
BONUS TIP: Be a stingy motherfucker and save money.