Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed

Auto Retrieve Offset That Changes After Restart

PROGRAMMERS PLEASE HELP! C# problem, auto retrieve offset that always changes.
    MODS PLEASE DONT MOVE THIS THREAD! I posted here to get maximum view to hopefully get some help

(I KNOW THIS KIND OF PROGRAM HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE, PLEASE DONT INFORM ME OF THIS)

I have a program that is 99% complete that iv been working on for awhile,
    it changes ur steam nickname rapidly to create animated names for games ( currently only tested on mw2)
    program works great, and im on the verge of releaseing it here,
    only problem is, that it relies on the steam offset for your nickname
    i have found this offset using CheatEngine every easily,
    the problem iv run into is that everytime steam is restarted the offset changes,
    iv tried to locate paterns in how the offset changes to hopefully predict the next one but this hasent worked.
    i need a way to scan the steam.exe process for a given string and return the hex offsets,
    CheatEngine normally returns about 15 offsets when given the nickname to search for,
    so far iv had to manually change each one till i find the one that changes the name.
    if im going to release this program i dont want to have the user be required to search for this offset on their own, because its very anoyying...

any help would be apriciated
    would prefer help to be in the form of c# tho i guess i can manually convert c++ or vb if i have too.

P.s. i have tried using the iw4mp offset for player name, im able to get the name to change for about a milisecond then it auto corrects itself back to the steam name value, this is the reason i switchd my aproach to changeing the steam offset itself, if anyone can tell me how to prevent the iw4mp name offset from reverting to the steam one that would solve all my problems, since the iw4mp offset stays the same. i dont like having to mess with steam itself...

if no one can help i will be forced to either never release this program or release it 99% complete with the flaw of manual offset location
    Last edited by ZectixV1; 04-02-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    This is how I did it. Hook the the steam function that returns the players username (Of course in the MW2 process), then have a global char buffer which you will return from that hook. Then just change that char array from wherever you want and you have your name changer! (And the address of that function doesn't change)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Iv gotten that concept working, thank you i will credit you in release, i can potentialy release this program now
    although i would really like to presue the other angle. I want this program to work on most if not all games (i know prob not all games but since im changeing the steam value most should work hopefully)
    Even if the offset finding funtion isnt fully automatic, mabye if durring start up the user enters their current steam nickname to then search that given string in steam active memory, retrive a list of offset with that value "normaly around 20" and SOMEHOW (Key Part) automatically determine which offset actually changes your steam nickname. ?
    Any help tward this would be greatly appriciated. I dont plan on releaseing it untill i find out if this is possible or not

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazedCreations View Post
    Iv gotten that concept working, thank you i will credit you in release, i can potentialy release this program now
    although i would really like to presue the other angle. I want this program to work on most if not all games (i know prob not all games but since im changeing the steam value most should work hopefully)
    Even if the offset finding funtion isnt fully automatic, mabye if durring start up the user enters their current steam nickname to then search that given string in steam active memory, retrive a list of offset with that value "normaly around 20" and SOMEHOW (Key Part) automatically determine which offset actually changes your steam nickname. ?
    Any help tward this would be greatly appriciated. I dont plan on releaseing it untill i find out if this is possible or not
    I am pretty sure there is a pointer to the steam name which you can read out! Try finding the right address manually, then search for static references to it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to __Xen0 For This Useful Post:

BlazedCreations (02-06-2016)

Thanks
    You just need to rebase your offsets lol.