Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Checkbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    84
    Reputation
    27
    Thanks
    11

    Clarification on the forum etiquette rules.

    Hi. By no means is this post intended to slight the abilities of the staff here but more to get a better understanding of the rules from the standpoint of the various staff here in order to maintain a peaceful MPGH experience and resolve conflicts in a way that doesn't put my membership in jeopardy.

    I have read the rules listed here and assume this supersedes the rules listed here. Therefore, my understanding is that you break a rule, you get an infraction/ban. Looking at my post history, I have been more careful about the content of my posts since the July rules have gone into effect.

    The reason for this inquiry is because of this. I've received similar posts like this in the past from DanK but the last time I reported him for it, the offending post was deleted and nothing further happened (this was after the July rules have gone into effect). Upon inquiry, it seems that his understanding is that there are no punishments for his violations because no one reports them. I'm interested in knowing whether violations can be ignored if no one reports it and does "subject to punishment under the moderator's/admin's discretion" still apply when the violation is blatantly obvious?

    I reported him for the post I linked to in the thread and it seems the thread was closed. I spoke to the minion for that section and he stated that DanK might get an infraction for his behavior so I'd like to get a better understanding whether there are grey areas in enforcement or whether it's cut and dry so I can know whether I should just report problematic posts in the future or respond to them. These recent experiences have given me the impression that for one reason or another, there are users who can violate the rules without consequence. If I haven't made it obvious, I find that very concerning.

    Lastly, for the staff that read through the rest of the thread, have I violated any rules here defending myself against DanK's provocations? If so, I don't mind accepting punishment, but if I knew what rules I violated and suggestions on how I could've avoided it, it would help prevent a repeat should this situation arise again. Because I am not a frequent poster here, I feel I may be missing out on some of the nuances of how the administration side of things here work so I think that it would be worthwhile for me to better understand things in order to resolve conflicts in a less confrontational matter.

    I appreciate the staff here taking the time to read this and I hope that I didn't cause a problem posting here. I apologize in advance if this wasn't the right section to post.
    Last edited by Checkbox; 09-06-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Fixed some grammar mistakes.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Checkbox For This Useful Post:

    Ian (09-06-2011)

  3. #2
    Ahmad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    5,717
    Reputation
    520
    Thanks
    1,467
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkbox View Post
    Hi. By no means is this post intended to slight the abilities of the staff here but more to get a better understanding of the rules from the standpoint of the various staff here in order to maintain a peaceful MPGH experience and resolve conflicts in a way that doesn't put my membership in jeopardy.

    I have read the rules listed here and assume this supersedes the rules listed here. Therefore, my understanding is that you break a rule, you get an infraction/ban. Looking at my post history, I have been more careful about the content of my posts since the July rules have gone into effect.

    The reason for this inquiry is because of this. I've received similar posts like this in the past from DanK but the last time I reported him for it, the offending post was deleted and nothing further happened (this was after the July rules have gone into effect). Upon inquiry, it seems that his understanding is that there are no punishments for his violations because no one reports them. I'm interested in knowing whether violations can be ignored if no one reports it and does "subject to punishment under the moderator's/admin's discretion" still apply when the violation is blatantly obvious?

    I reported him for the post I linked to in the thread and it seems the thread was closed. I spoke to the minion for that section and he stated that DanK might get an infraction for his behavior so I'd like to get a better understanding whether there are grey areas in enforcement or whether it's cut and dry so I can know whether I should just report problematic posts in the future or respond to them. These recent experiences have given me the impression that for one reason or another, there are users who can violate the rules without consequence. If I haven't made it obvious, I find that very concerning.

    Lastly, for the staff that read through the rest of the thread, have I violated any rules here defending myself against DanK's provocations? If so, I don't mind accepting punishment, but if I knew what rules I violated and suggestions on how I could've avoided it, it would help prevent a repeat should this situation arise again. Because I am not a frequent poster here, I feel I may be missing out on some of the nuances of how the administration side of things here work so I think that it would be worthwhile for me to better understand things in order to resolve conflicts in a less confrontational matter.

    I appreciate the staff here taking the time to read this and I hope that I didn't cause a problem posting here. I apologize in advance if this wasn't the right section to post.
    First of wow Very impresive. I might not be staff but I can tell you what Infraction's punshiment's do. An infraction normally comes with a 1 day ban. Or, if they get 3 infractions, its a 3 day ban. However people learn there lesson after an infraction is given. But if they don't USE THAT REPORT button. It does do something they do see it. But if you feel he keeps insulting you take in to action and tell a Mod/Admin, they will do something.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahmad For This Useful Post:

    Checkbox (09-07-2011)

  5. #3
    Disturbed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    10,405
    Reputation
    1063
    Thanks
    2,559
    This has to be the most well written thread I've ever seen in the staff dispute section.


    Although the administrators and moderators of MPGH will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages.
    If you think he is getting away with something, report the posts. A moderator or admin might not have seen it.


    MPGH - MultiPlayer Game Hacking - Announcements in Forum : Combat Arms Hacks
    This is a forum wide announcement informing everyone that there is no longer any 'get out of jail free cards'. Everything that is brought to our attention will be dealt with. No matter how trivial.

    It is an addition the the rules page.


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Disturbed For This Useful Post:

    [MPGH]Liz (09-10-2011)

  7. #4
    Hero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    MPGH.NET
    Posts
    33,714
    Reputation
    3117
    Thanks
    7,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkbox View Post
    Hi. By no means is this post intended to slight the abilities of the staff here but more to get a better understanding of the rules from the standpoint of the various staff here in order to maintain a peaceful MPGH experience and resolve conflicts in a way that doesn't put my membership in jeopardy.

    I have read the rules listed here and assume this supersedes the rules listed here. Therefore, my understanding is that you break a rule, you get an infraction/ban. Looking at my post history, I have been more careful about the content of my posts since the July rules have gone into effect.

    The reason for this inquiry is because of this. I've received similar posts like this in the past from DanK but the last time I reported him for it, the offending post was deleted and nothing further happened (this was after the July rules have gone into effect). Upon inquiry, it seems that his understanding is that there are no punishments for his violations because no one reports them. I'm interested in knowing whether violations can be ignored if no one reports it and does "subject to punishment under the moderator's/admin's discretion" still apply when the violation is blatantly obvious?

    I reported him for the post I linked to in the thread and it seems the thread was closed. I spoke to the minion for that section and he stated that DanK might get an infraction for his behavior so I'd like to get a better understanding whether there are grey areas in enforcement or whether it's cut and dry so I can know whether I should just report problematic posts in the future or respond to them. These recent experiences have given me the impression that for one reason or another, there are users who can violate the rules without consequence. If I haven't made it obvious, I find that very concerning.

    Lastly, for the staff that read through the rest of the thread, have I violated any rules here defending myself against DanK's provocations? If so, I don't mind accepting punishment, but if I knew what rules I violated and suggestions on how I could've avoided it, it would help prevent a repeat should this situation arise again. Because I am not a frequent poster here, I feel I may be missing out on some of the nuances of how the administration side of things here work so I think that it would be worthwhile for me to better understand things in order to resolve conflicts in a less confrontational matter.

    I appreciate the staff here taking the time to read this and I hope that I didn't cause a problem posting here. I apologize in advance if this wasn't the right section to post.
    I'm going to cut your long essay nice and simple; if someone is breaking the rules/wrong section posting/etc, you just got to report. That's as simple as it gets. For the DanK situation; if he does something breaks the rules; report him. If you feel offended in any way; report him.

    On the part where you mention;
    Lastly, for the staff that read through the rest of the thread, have I violated any rules here defending myself against DanK's provocations?
    As long as your actions aren't rule-breaking behavior, you will not receive punishment. The common rule breaking behavior is flame. Since it is, as long as you don't attempt it, its fine with what ever you say. Read the rules and revise for more information.

    This is simple to be honest. Simple to realize. Simple to accept. Simple rulings, and simple to follow.



    Donator since 09•16•2011
    Minion since 10•10•2011
    Minion+ since 01•06•2012
    Moderator since 08•08•2012
    Global Moderator since 10•06•2012
    Editor from 06•14•2011 • 2014


    [ • ] [ • ] [ • ] [ • ][ • ]


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hero For This Useful Post:

    Checkbox (09-07-2011)

  9. #5
    Checkbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    84
    Reputation
    27
    Thanks
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

    However people learn there lesson after an infraction is given.
    While it would make sense to think people would learn their lesson after receiving an infraction, I think this may be a special case. Here is the PM he just sent me after reading this thread (I went ahead and reported it as per the suggestions here)-

    Quote Originally Posted by DanK
    You already reported the post, quit being a baby and give it a rest..


    The extent you are going to, to try and get me punished is simply pathetic..

    Also, if you do succeed, I still won't care...

    BB now..
    If the point of the infraction/ban system is to deter people from repeating their mistakes, what happens when the person simply doesn't care about repercussions? Judging by the content of the PM, the belief is still held that he may not get punished at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    This is simple to be honest. Simple to realize. Simple to accept. Simple rulings, and simple to follow.
    While I understand the rules are intended to be simple, there is still confusion because of the behavior DanK is exhibiting and the apparent confidence that the rules here do not apply to him. I mean, why else would he have sent that PM to me, especially after reading this thread? I have less than a 100 posts while he has over 2000, I just feel that anyone who is that active knows how things work around here so it may just be me who is not understanding the situation. I hate to beat a dead horse, but DanK was in consideration to be a minion, I'm sure he knows the rules so I feel there is something I'm definitely not seeing here.
    Last edited by Checkbox; 09-06-2011 at 06:20 PM.

  10. #6
    Disturbed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    10,405
    Reputation
    1063
    Thanks
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkbox View Post
    If the point of the infraction/ban system is to deter people from repeating their mistakes, what happens when the person simply doesn't care about repercussions? Judging by the content of the PM, the belief is still held that he may not get punished at all.
    The member will be banned at drastically increasing lengths, until they either learn their lesson, or get permanently banned.

    Personally I go from the minimum listed in the rules, and double (or more) every time they repeat the offence. They usually stop after about the second or third time.

    After checking his profile I saw that he has never been infracted, so the original report was overlooked/dismissed.

    I have infracted him for the private message. (Harassment.) Message me if he continues and I'll take further action.
    Last edited by Disturbed; 09-06-2011 at 09:39 PM.


  11. #7
    Checkbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    84
    Reputation
    27
    Thanks
    11
    Thank you for taking care of that, I really appreciate it. Have there been any decisions regarding the flame post I reported yesterday? Seeing that you mentioned he has never had any infractions, it means he really did not receive any punishment the for the flame post I reported in July so I feel I should start being more proactive in following up on my reports if anything is to be done about yesterday's conflict. I hope that is not a problem.

    Also, since there are more violations in the thread past the initial post I reported, should I report those too or will the entire thread be reviewed for possible violations of the rules?

  12. #8
    Disturbed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    10,405
    Reputation
    1063
    Thanks
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkbox View Post
    Thank you for taking care of that, I really appreciate it. Have there been any decisions regarding the flame post I reported yesterday? Seeing that you mentioned he has never had any infractions, it means he really did not receive any punishment the for the flame post I reported in July so I feel I should start being more proactive in following up on my reports if anything is to be done about yesterday's conflict. I hope that is not a problem.

    Also, since there are more violations in the thread past the initial post I reported, should I report those too or will the entire thread be reviewed for possible violations of the rules?

    I can't tell you about a reported post(s) I didn't deal with. Whichever moderator/admin who checks it first, is usually the sole person dealing with it. (Unless an action by the moderator/admin is disputed in this section)


    Since he doesn't seem to have been warned/punished for those, I'll just leave it at the infraction. However if another moderator/admin comes across this thread or those posts they might decide otherwise.
    Last edited by Disturbed; 09-06-2011 at 11:13 PM.


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Disturbed For This Useful Post:

    Checkbox (09-07-2011)

  14. #9
    Checkbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    84
    Reputation
    27
    Thanks
    11
    I have contacted the minion who read the report so hopefully there will be a proper resolution.

    Thank you and everyone else in this thread for taking the time to help clarify these issues for me. It helped a lot and I hope I wasn't an inconvenience to anyone by asking all of these questions. I really appreciate the assistance.

  15. #10
    Nico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Germany :D
    Posts
    15,939
    Reputation
    1121
    Thanks
    8,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkbox View Post
    I have contacted the minion who read the report so hopefully there will be a proper resolution.

    Thank you and everyone else in this thread for taking the time to help clarify these issues for me. It helped a lot and I hope I wasn't an inconvenience to anyone by asking all of these questions. I really appreciate the assistance.
    Talked with Dave about DanK's post.

    dave84311 sagt
    zzz
    they are all going at it
    so i should ban them all?

  16. #11
    DanK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,892
    Reputation
    100
    Thanks
    3,618
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkbox View Post
    While it would make sense to think people would learn their lesson after receiving an infraction, I think this may be a special case. Here is the PM he just sent me after reading this thread (I went ahead and reported it as per the suggestions here)-



    If the point of the infraction/ban system is to deter people from repeating their mistakes, what happens when the person simply doesn't care about repercussions? Judging by the content of the PM, the belief is still held that he may not get punished at all.



    While I understand the rules are intended to be simple, there is still confusion because of the behavior DanK is exhibiting and the apparent confidence that the rules here do not apply to him. I mean, why else would he have sent that PM to me, especially after reading this thread? I have less than a 100 posts while he has over 2000, I just feel that anyone who is that active knows how things work around here so it may just be me who is not understanding the situation. I hate to beat a dead horse, but DanK was in consideration to be a minion, I'm sure he knows the rules so I feel there is something I'm definitely not seeing here.
    Yeah I said I would not care because it would not be the end of my life were I to be banned from a forum.

    You know very well I have plenty of reason to feel about you the way I do..

    You have provoked me plenty of times in the past. You have insulted me, MPGH , and all the users of this forum many times.. You have stated many times your dislike for MPGH and that the only reason you even come here is to make sure nobody links to your program here.

    Nice fancy post, but you and I both know you are doing this out of spite, not this little "oh I just wanna understand the rules" crap...

    And I was already infracted, so why are you still going on about it, let it go.
    PLAYING RIFT!

  17. #12
    Checkbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    84
    Reputation
    27
    Thanks
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Talked with Dave about DanK's post.
    Please see my post history. If I've violated any rules while either defending myself or requesting my work removed, please let me know. All I'm looking for is for the rules to be enforced. What happened yesterday is in no way acceptable. If it seems I unintentionally violated the rules while defending myself, then I'm willing to accept the consequences but it is apparent that my intention was to contribute to a civil conversation. DanK's comments were absolutely unprovoked. I reported the last time he did this and nothing happened to him. Clearly, that is a pretty big concern for me and everyone else trying to follow the rules here.

    @Dave84311
    If you can read the thread and can see that both DanK and I are deserving of a ban, then that is fine, please let me know what I did wrong and it shouldn't happen again. While you are at it, can you look at DanK's flame post I reported in July and inform me why he was not infracted for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post


    Yeah I said I would not care because it would not be the end of my life were I to be banned from a forum.

    You know very well I have plenty of reason to feel about you the way I do..

    You have provoked me plenty of times in the past. You have insulted me, MPGH , and all the users of this forum many times.. You have stated many times your dislike for MPGH and that the only reason you even come here is to make sure nobody links to your program here.
    So that makes it okay for you to blatantly disregard the rules so long as it's directed towards me? Please look at my post history. After our dispute the majority of my posts have been requests to remove my work. I was reasonable about my requests and been reasonable about responding to those who disagree with my views. If I violated any rules, then it would've been justified to punish me accordingly. Regardless of any of that, I signed in yesterday and contributed to a civil conversation, what did I do to justify being flamed? How is that okay in any way? How is it acceptable that you can feel it is okay to further harass me after I reported your post?

    To anyone who has taken DanK's above comment into serious consideration- I humbly request you read my post history and understand the context behind DanK's statements before you make any judgements on my character.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post

    Nice fancy post, but you and I both know you are doing this out of spite, not this little "oh I just wanna understand the rules" crap...

    And I was already infracted, so why are you still going on about it, let it go.
    I'm doing this because I am frankly concerned about why it is that reporting you did nothing and why you can act as if the rules do not apply to you. You were given an infraction because you continued to harass me in PM after I reported your post, but how does that cancel out the fact you just started flaming me out of nowhere when I was doing nothing wrong?
    Last edited by Checkbox; 09-07-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Additional request

  18. #13
    Dave84311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Gender
    male
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    27,852
    Reputation
    3541
    Thanks
    36,146
    My Mood
    Devilish
    I'm not certain why he was or was not infracted. I am not going through thousands of reported posts to find this report, ask whoever dealt with it why they chose to or not to infract him... If you have an issue with him flaming, report his post without responding to it. If that an issue don't report the post and wait for someone else to do so, so I can infract/ban both of you. I am not anyone's mother on these forums... I will not clean up or deal with your bullshit.





    THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE


    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311HAD VIRTUAL DETOX

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 02:27 PM
  2. Hacking Etiquette on the Forum - Rant.
    By the captain in forum CrossFire Hacks & Cheats
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2009, 03:56 PM
  3. Opening the forum to PUBLIC?
    By arunforce in forum Suggestions, Requests & Help
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 01:31 PM
  4. hi im new to the forum :D
    By SATANICAT in forum General
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-29-2006, 08:05 AM
  5. Two Biggest Spammers on the forums!
    By Dave84311 in forum General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 09:39 AM