Thanks

What makes cross-platform not possible on CoD4?

After switching to PC gaming a while ago from Xbox I realized CoD4 for Xbox and CoD4 for PC are extremely similar to each other, in fact I don't really see the difference other than the dedicated servers and mods.

So why is it that you can't play cross-platform (Xbox and PC)? It seems like if I host a private match on Xbox and then from PC do "connect [xbox's_internal_ip]" it should connect, just like it would PC to PC.

Same with MW2. Anyone know what keeps these two games from communicating? Different ports? Different versions?

Thanks.

Thanks
    CoD4 for XBox is run on different server standards, the matchmaking server connects each person to the host, in which the hosts files are checked for corruption and if said files come up as corrupted, the host will switch. For PC, people can create their own servers, and the matchmaking server is completely separate from the one for XBox. If you allowed cross platform connection, PC gamers will have the edge, as first of all, someone with a better computer than an XBox will be able to react quicker as their computer can register the information quicker (yes, it is not always about the internet speeds), and PC programmers would be able to use hacks, whereas it is harder to create such hacks for XBox related games and stay consistent.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lehsyrus For This Useful Post:

uPaymeiFixit (08-04-2011)

Thanks
    They tried it once. It wasn't pretty.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    CoD4 for XBox is run on different server standards, the matchmaking server connects each person to the host, in which the hosts files are checked for corruption and if said files come up as corrupted, the host will switch. For PC, people can create their own servers, and the matchmaking server is completely separate from the one for XBox. If you allowed cross platform connection, PC gamers will have the edge, as first of all, someone with a better computer than an XBox will be able to react quicker as their computer can register the information quicker (yes, it is not always about the internet speeds), and PC programmers would be able to use hacks, whereas it is harder to create such hacks for XBox related games and stay consistent.
    Thanks for the response guys. So I understand that the PC player would have an unfair advantage (sometimes greater than others), and I also understand why the Xbox doesn't look for PC hosts.

I'm just wondering what keeps me from connecting to a local Xbox version. Where/What is the code/variable that tells it they are two different versions?

If I were to change masterServerName to whatever Xbox uses for a cod4master (assuming it does use one), and masterPort to whatever Xbox uses, would that possibly allow someone to connect to the Xbox version?

Thanks again.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    There's all sorts of bullshit. I'm not even all that knowledgeable in the subject. You just can't do it.

Thanks
    XBox uses different ports to connect from client to server, as well as the coding for the game is different. For PC, they design the game specifically for the ability to change settings and options, such as antialiasing and such, which requires different coding than what is provided for console gaming.

All in all, if you tried, it just would not work. CoD4 for PC is not the same CoD4 for Xbox internally.