* January 20 - Ferdinand II ascends the throne of Aragon and rules together with his wife Isabella, queen of Castile over most of the Iberian peninsula. Together they conquer Granada in 1492, ending 800 years of Moorish rule.
* January 24 - The Republic of Venice and the Ottoman Empire sign a peace treaty, for which Venice will cede Argo, Negroponte, Lemnos and Scutari, and pay an annual tribute of 10,000 golden ducati.
* August 7 - Battle of Guinegate: A French army sent to invade the Netherlands is defeated by Maximilian of Austria.
* October 13 - Battle of Kenyérmező: The Hungarian army, led by Pál Kinizsi and István Báthori, defeats the Ottoman Turk army in Transylvania, Hungary.
* Christopher Columbus, experienced mariner and successful trader in the thriving Genoese "ex-pat" community in Portugal, marries Felipa Perestrelo Moniz (Italian on her father's side) and receives no ordinary dowry: her late father's maps and papers, charting the seas and winds around the Madeira Islands and other Portuguese possessions in the Ocean Sea.
* September 4 - The Treaty of Alcáçovas (also known as Treaty or Peace of Alcáçovas-Toledo) is signed between the Catholic monarchs of Castile (Castilla, Spain) and Aragon on one side and the King of Portugal on the other side. It puts an end to the War of the Castilian Succession, a civil war begun in 1474 over the succession of the kingdom of Castile.
Last edited by bombombo; 12-19-2008 at 07:11 AM.