Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 18 of 18
  1. #16
    Takatsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    3,198
    Reputation
    300
    Thanks
    4,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Mentioning a shadow organization is ultimately pointless if they don't have presence, and we are 200 chapters in without one
    I don't know if I already said this, but it's because he's had no spot to out right introduce them. Yeah, we got a little bit of information about them with the Yoshimura talk, but that was it. It's not the first time this has happened. Nico whispered in Kanekis ear about who the OEK was, and that was just told to be Eto.


    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Parrallels are meant for themes or tribute, not the same thing happening over and over. THAT is repetition.
    I'm not sure what theme he would be pointing out by having Takizawa and Shirazu go down the exact same way, other than the possibility of Shirazu becoming a full ghoul(HIGHLY unlikely). Repetition is whatever. If it's done a similar way but with a different style, I'm fine with that. It's just a matter of execution.

    *I was going to mention the Tarot symbolism here for themes/tribute, but I wasn't sure how to word it. There is a ton of discussion about it and how Ishida uses it in Tokyo Ghoul.


    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Yeah, the role of a soldier. Again, this is exactly like Esdeath from AGK.

    Also nobody gives a fuck about the Q's. It's just some stupid ass filler group with no importance
    Well, he is a soldier. His nickname is literally the Reaper because of how many ghouls hes killed. But calling him just a soldier is wrong. He's done more than just kill ghouls in this story. All Esdeath did was fuck around with Night Raid and killed them. The only impact that had was increasing anger and despair inside Tatsumi. It never changed his character as a whole like Arima did.

    Nobody gives a fuck about the Qs? Wow. Now you're just reaching out there. Kanekis role as a ghoul was to be the bridge between humans and ghouls living together. Going through torture and then finally becoming Haise after getting destroyed by Arima, he was "reborn" as a ghoul investigator. He was the mentor of a human/ghoul squad. They're not one-eyed ghouls like him, but they're relatively close. The fact that he made a relationship with them given his past is pretty significant. Even with his memories slowly returning he never had the thought of harming them, but actually wanted to protect them. Yeah, protect people he used to kill for being in his way. If that's considered filler then any sort of character change is filler as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    V's entire goal seems to be fuck-all because they don't have any presence.

    Also she's not dead so w/e, more "this character got away" tropes!
    Again with the presence. Just because characters aren't on screen/paper doesn't mean they aren't actually doing anything, right? For all we know, they've been doing extensive research on the owls and possibly Kaneki. It's happened before where a character seems to be doing nothing, but they play a huge role later on.

    Yeah, she's not dead. Kaneki rescued her by "killing" her. He free'd her from V essentially.


    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    TG is really no different from the two. It's story seems to be a garbled mess and the author is just going to milk it until it runs dry then put out something to bring it back.
    It's an incomplete story that has a ton more to introduce. It's literally no different than if you were to watch Bakemonogatari, and question things that haven't been answered. For people who haven't read the LN and are waiting on Kizumonogatari, they don't know the full story. That doesn't make it a garbled mess, it means its incomplete and needs more.

  2. #17
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickz123 View Post
    Well, he is a soldier. His nickname is literally the Reaper because of how many ghouls hes killed. But calling him just a soldier is wrong. He's done more than just kill ghouls in this story. All Esdeath did was fuck around with Night Raid and killed them. The only impact that had was increasing anger and despair inside Tatsumi. It never changed his character as a whole like Arima did.
    Arima is just a soldier though. I'm not saying he's identical to esdeath in personality, but in terms of plot relevance it's an exact match.


    That's not saying "oh TG copied AGK", that's just pointing out how bad the story is by being identical to AGK's.


    Quote Originally Posted by Stickz123 View Post
    Nobody gives a fuck about the Qs? Wow. Now you're just reaching out there. Kanekis role as a ghoul was to be the bridge between humans and ghouls living together. Going through torture and then finally becoming Haise after getting destroyed by Arima, he was "reborn" as a ghoul investigator. He was the mentor of a human/ghoul squad. They're not one-eyed ghouls like him, but they're relatively close. The fact that he made a relationship with them given his past is pretty significant. Even with his memories slowly returning he never had the thought of harming them, but actually wanted to protect them. Yeah, protect people he used to kill for being in his way. If that's considered filler then any sort of character change is filler as well.
    Who cares?

    Haise is just a small arc before Kaneki. Nobody gives a fuck about the half-assed "human ghoul" squad as their personalities are shallow and they are fucking irrelevant to the plot as a whole.




    Quote Originally Posted by Stickz123 View Post
    Again with the presence. Just because characters aren't on screen/paper doesn't mean they aren't actually doing anything, right?
    That's exactly what it means to the reader.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stickz123 View Post
    It's an incomplete story that has a ton more to introduce. It's literally no different than if you were to watch Bakemonogatari, and question things that haven't been answered. For people who haven't read the LN and are waiting on Kizumonogatari, they don't know the full story. That doesn't make it a garbled mess, it means its incomplete and needs more.
    It's completely different because Bakemonogatari and series like it are not action focused series.

    You're completely overshooting what TG is. It's not deep, it's not this intricate story, it's a bloody action series.


    That creates a huge need for an antagonist or at least something of a goal.


  3. #18
    Takatsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    3,198
    Reputation
    300
    Thanks
    4,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Arima is just a soldier though. I'm not saying he's identical to esdeath in personality, but in terms of plot relevance it's an exact match.


    That's not saying "oh TG copied AGK", that's just pointing out how bad the story is by being identical to AGK's.
    No. I just pointed out why they're different in terms of plot.

    Arima
    -Beats Kaneki
    -Is now Haise
    -Changes his entire character

    Esdeath
    -Kills people apart of Night Raid
    -Main Character gets mad

    If you can't spot the difference in them, comparing them isn't useful.


    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Haise is just a small arc before Kaneki. Nobody gives a fuck about the half-assed "human ghoul" squad as their personalities are shallow and they are fucking irrelevant to the plot as a whole.
    A small arc? Are we reading the same manga? It's been 50 chapters of Haise, and about 5 are the return of Kaneki, but as a different personality. His squad isn't irrelevant either. He managed to form a bond with them and attempts to understand each and every one of them. He even talked to Shirazu before the attack started and told him not to worry about anything until after it's over. How do you think he's going to react when he sees him dead? "Oh, that sucks" and just walk away? No, it's going to hurt him.

    Kaneki has changed. He's not the same as he was when he was tortured and left to figure out the answers mostly by himself. The entire fight with Eto and we haven't seem him break his fingers or attempt some lunatic shit. He's wanting to finish what he has to do and then die. The squad will most definitely play an important role in the near future.


    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    That's exactly what it means to the reader.
    Then the reader is stupid. Amon has been cannibalizing(presumably) off screen. That doesn't mean its not happening, it's just obvious assumptions based off what we know and what we can guess to be true.




    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    It's completely different because Bakemonogatari and series like it are not action focused series.

    You're completely overshooting what TG is. It's not deep, it's not this intricate story, it's a bloody action series.


    That creates a huge need for an antagonist or at least something of a goal.
    Okay, Bakemonogatari was a stretch. But the point still stands for something. Missing information isn't an excuse to call a series a "garbled mess."

    There is such a thing as a changing antagonist. Defeat one enemy, change to another. Lose to one, become stronger, re-challenge and hopefully defeat them. This is no different than in Tokyo Ghoul. As for the goal, we once again, can assume a happy coexisting life between ghouls and humans. Knowing Ishida, that isn't going to happen and rather something unfortunate will happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Tokyo Ghoul Episode 6 Discussion
    By Color in forum Anime
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 12:06 PM
  2. Tokyo Ghoul Episode 4 Discussion
    By Color in forum Anime
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 10:22 PM
  3. Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion
    By Color in forum Anime
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2014, 02:51 PM
  4. Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion
    By Color in forum Anime
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 05:51 PM
  5. Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1 Discussion
    By Color in forum Anime
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 12:17 PM