Thread: Accel World

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Shakugan no Shana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    female
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    5,213
    Reputation
    176
    Thanks
    830
    My Mood
    Pensive

    Accel World

    Just read through the 2 manga novels and going to read through the light novels later today.

    Awesome story, pretty unique. The plot revolves around virtual reality and I've always loved stories with that sort of thing in them. I also enjoy that the main character doesn't want to 'protect everyone' and isn't the stereotypical handsome, strong high-school boy.

    An anime adaptation is scheduled to be aired this spring.







    EDIT: It was a bitch to find translations for the LN so I'll post them here in case any of you are interested. Unfortunately, it's only been computer translated so...

    http://www.**********/files/1897256/Accel_World.rar.html



    Summary (No spoilers):
    In the year 2140, Neuro-synchronization, a technology system that allows humans to manipulate their five senses has become widespread where people can access the internet and enter virtual worlds. Haruyuki "Haru" Arita is a short, fat boy who is constantly bullied, causing him to have a low-self esteem. To escape the torments of real life, he logins in the school's virtual world network where he plays squash alone where he always gets the highest score. One day, Haru attract the attention of the Student Council Vice-President, Kuroyukihime, who offers him to join a secret program called Brain Burst which allows a person to make time appear to stand still in their surroundings by "accelerating" their brainwaves in the real world. Unfortunately, there is a limit to how many times a person can accelerate which uses Brain Burst points and the only way to get more points is to fight other Brain Burst users in a Fighting game and defeat them. However, if a user loses all of his/her points, the Brain Burst program will uninstall itself and the user's memories of Brain Burst will be deleted. Kuroyukihime wants Haru's help as she wishes to reach Level 10 and meet the creator of Brain Burst and learn it's true purpose. But in order to do that, she must defeat six Level 9 users who just so happen to be "The Six Kings of Pure Color", the leaders of the six most powerful factions in the Brain Burst world. For helping him, Haru agrees to help Kuroyukihime to only repay her but overcome his weaknesses.
    Last edited by Shakugan no Shana; 12-16-2011 at 05:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    It looks a bit too generic for my taste.

    Its pretty much like every other loser meets girl, loser teams up with girl and then has to beat _________ arbitrary "high ranked" enemies and eventually meet the original. Except this one is in a virtual world....woooo.

    I like the main characters design since its at least original, and almost no one is a fat midget for a main character. But the girls are the generic loli giant eyes figure.
    -----------------------------------------------

    No character developement to speak of. "courage" is gained if you can say that. Nothing is lost so nothing is gained. The story has absolutely no plot and the action is pretty lame.

    The main characters sympathy is none for me. Its just the same as every other kid, it would have been cool if this was real instead of just some video game, bleh. A fatty playing a game.

    Its worth a read if your bored I guess, it should take you less than 30mins-1hour, its only 8 chapters long.
    Last edited by Empire; 12-17-2011 at 12:57 AM.


  3. #3
    Shakugan no Shana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    female
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    5,213
    Reputation
    176
    Thanks
    830
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    It looks a bit too generic for my taste.

    Its pretty much like every other loser meets girl, loser teams up with girl and then has to beat _________ arbitrary "high ranked" enemies and eventually meet the original. Except this one is in a virtual world....woooo.

    I like the main characters design since its at least original, and almost no one is a fat midget for a main character. But the girls are the generic loli giant eyes figure.
    -----------------------------------------------

    No character developement to speak of. "courage" is gained if you can say that. Nothing is lost so nothing is gained. The story has absolutely no plot and the action is pretty lame.

    The main characters sympathy is none for me. Its just the same as every other kid, it would have been cool if this was real instead of just some video game, bleh. A fatty playing a game.

    Its worth a read if your bored I guess, it should take you less than 30mins-1hour, its only 8 chapters long.
    Well, really only the intro to the start of the main plot has been done in the manga so you I feel like I can't really judge it yet.

    The LN translation is awful, impossible to read -_- stupid computer translator. So I gotta stick to the manga...urg...




    @Empire

    Have you read the Sword Art Online LNs? If so, what did you think of them? I'd like to know if I'm not alone in my opinions on them...
    Last edited by Shakugan no Shana; 12-17-2011 at 01:51 AM.

  4. #4
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I have not, no. If you post a link i'd probably read it. I haven't read many LN recently, i got stuck on the game of thrones atm.

    The LN might be worth a read if i could find a trans though.


    Idk, from the manga it might not be good, but the VN might be, same shit happens all the time for anime and movies so its bound to be this as well.


  5. #5
    Shakugan no Shana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    female
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    5,213
    Reputation
    176
    Thanks
    830
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    I have not, no. If you post a link i'd probably read it. I haven't read many LN recently, i got stuck on the game of thrones atm.

    The LN might be worth a read if i could find a trans though.


    Idk, from the manga it might not be good, but the VN might be, same shit happens all the time for anime and movies so its bound to be this as well.
    Sword Art Online - Baka-Tsuki

    1,3,4 are 100% translated and the important part of 2 has been.

  6. #6
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    As i thought, this video game stuff does not appeal to me in the least.


    Idk, maybe my years as a gamer kinda dull the sense of any enjoyment of talk of video games in manga/books. Its just too....idk, lame? They could have done this real-world quite easily. But........

    Making it a game, is trivial. Even the "you might die in the game" has been done SO many times its hard to remember why the scenario ISN'T in the real world instead?
    ---------------
    @ Sword Art
    The writing, is amateurish to the core. Its not so much the lack of any backstory or motivation besides "i'm playing a video game and i could die or w/e", its that

    1. The guy is a loner. In the video game world, and especially the MMO world, this is the equivalent of being a loser of a nerd. Something almost impossible by todays standards, but none-the-less he is. How do you play an MMO by yourself, more the reason WHY would you play it by yourself? All mmo's are designed to be group oriented, thats literally what the name is, massive multiplayer online.

    2. Talking in video game chat about beauty and stuff............in a video game. I don't understand how ANY of this scenario could not be in a realistic setting instead of "she used <<Thrust>>" like a goddamn pokemon/final fantasy battle. I mean futuristic or medieval it makes no difference, but real world could make this better. AND HAVE A STORY.

    3. Describing how the game works. Such as upgrades and attacks. This in itself is lame, lame, lame. Not only are they the most boring things i could think of, but for gods sakes why bother? I could guess all this from basic logic of all things.

    4. People just "die" or w/e without an explanation. In one instance "Sachi" or w/e, just "dies". Just like that, no explanation whatsoever, not from real world, not from the game. Not even is this looked into. This is how it went.

    "There, in addition to the «Self» written there, my own inventory page, was another label that read the name «Sachi».
    This is the result of a very good relationship between two players, but one which has not progressed to «Marriage» —such players set their own common items window. This is different from the way that all items in marriage are shared in that only items in this separate window are shared.
    Sachi, who had never asked for a confession or to hold hands previously, requested shortly before her death to set up this window. When I asked for the reason, she gave an answer that was difficult to accept, that is was for easily exchanging healing potions and similar items—if this was the purpose, there was clearly already a guild open that could be used for that. But I nonetheless agreed, and set up this window to share only between Sachi and me.
    Though Sachi died, this window still remained. Of course, the friend list would also still retain Sachi's name, but it would be a grey that could not be contacted. And the few remaining healing potions left in the shared inventory, these would also not be used. After half a year, even with the guild page deleted without feeling, I was unable to remove the label of Sachi's name. Of course—the reason was not that I believed she could be resurrected—I just couldn't forgive the self that would have been able to feel better after having deleted her name.
    I only recovered and closed the window after looking at Sachi's name for ten minutes. It was two hours until midnight.
    As I walked out of the room and towards the direction of the transfer gate, I kept thinking about that expression on Sachi's face in her final moment, what she was thinking, and, what exactly she wanted to say."


    What the fuck? Like some kind of sob story over what? Someone with NO background, not even looked into again. Its just silly.
    ---------------------------------------------------

    Sword art is just an amateur writing giberish trying to improve, this isn't anything i would bother reading nor reccommend it. Its has nothing great to mention of. There is literally nothing i can say that makes it stand out from anything.

    @ L

    I liked the idea, but its not solid. You have no backstory, no buildup, and most of all, this WHOLE thing: is describing someone playing a video game. Its got no relevance to anything. I'm basically reading some guys actions/thoughts while playing his own version of Final Fantasy.


    I suggest you watch/play the .Hack series, since you like this theme so much they are probably the best for it outside of the Matrix and Tron.
    Last edited by Empire; 12-18-2011 at 03:23 AM.


  7. #7
    Shakugan no Shana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    female
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    5,213
    Reputation
    176
    Thanks
    830
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    As i thought, this video game stuff does not appeal to me in the least.


    Idk, maybe my years as a gamer kinda dull the sense of any enjoyment of talk of video games in manga/books. Its just too....idk, lame? They could have done this real-world quite easily. But........

    Making it a game, is trivial. Even the "you might die in the game" has been done SO many times its hard to remember why the scenario ISN'T in the real world instead?
    ---------------
    @ Sword Art
    The writing, is amateurish to the core. Its not so much the lack of any backstory or motivation besides "i'm playing a video game and i could die or w/e", its that

    1. The guy is a loner. In the video game world, and especially the MMO world, this is the equivalent of being a loser of a nerd. Something almost impossible by todays standards, but none-the-less he is. How do you play an MMO by yourself, more the reason WHY would you play it by yourself? All mmo's are designed to be group oriented, thats literally what the name is, massive multiplayer online.

    2. Talking in video game chat about beauty and stuff............in a video game. I don't understand how ANY of this scenario could not be in a realistic setting instead of "she used <<Thrust>>" like a goddamn pokemon/final fantasy battle. I mean futuristic or medieval it makes no difference, but real world could make this better. AND HAVE A STORY.

    3. Describing how the game works. Such as upgrades and attacks. This in itself is lame, lame, lame. Not only are they the most boring things i could think of, but for gods sakes why bother? I could guess all this from basic logic of all things.

    4. People just "die" or w/e without an explanation. In one instance "Sachi" or w/e, just "dies". Just like that, no explanation whatsoever, not from real world, not from the game. Not even is this looked into. This is how it went.

    "There, in addition to the «Self» written there, my own inventory page, was another label that read the name «Sachi».
    This is the result of a very good relationship between two players, but one which has not progressed to «Marriage» —such players set their own common items window. This is different from the way that all items in marriage are shared in that only items in this separate window are shared.
    Sachi, who had never asked for a confession or to hold hands previously, requested shortly before her death to set up this window. When I asked for the reason, she gave an answer that was difficult to accept, that is was for easily exchanging healing potions and similar items—if this was the purpose, there was clearly already a guild open that could be used for that. But I nonetheless agreed, and set up this window to share only between Sachi and me.
    Though Sachi died, this window still remained. Of course, the friend list would also still retain Sachi's name, but it would be a grey that could not be contacted. And the few remaining healing potions left in the shared inventory, these would also not be used. After half a year, even with the guild page deleted without feeling, I was unable to remove the label of Sachi's name. Of course—the reason was not that I believed she could be resurrected—I just couldn't forgive the self that would have been able to feel better after having deleted her name.
    I only recovered and closed the window after looking at Sachi's name for ten minutes. It was two hours until midnight.
    As I walked out of the room and towards the direction of the transfer gate, I kept thinking about that expression on Sachi's face in her final moment, what she was thinking, and, what exactly she wanted to say."


    What the fuck? Like some kind of sob story over what? Someone with NO background, not even looked into again. Its just silly.
    ---------------------------------------------------

    Sword art is just an amateur writing giberish trying to improve, this isn't anything i would bother reading nor reccommend it. Its has nothing great to mention of. There is literally nothing i can say that makes it stand out from anything.

    @ L

    I liked the idea, but its not solid. You have no backstory, no buildup, and most of all, this WHOLE thing: is describing someone playing a video game. Its got no relevance to anything. I'm basically reading some guys actions/thoughts while playing his own version of Final Fantasy.


    I suggest you watch/play the .Hack series, since you like this theme so much they are probably the best for it outside of the Matrix and Tron.
    The reason I asked you was because, in all the reviews I read, I seem to be the only one who disliked it.

    I agree with you on pretty much every point. The 2 parts that get me the worst though, are Asuna and the sequals (vols > 2).

    Asuna, a blank character who falls in love with the main character for no particular reason. No character development, she just shows up out of no where and suddenly they are 'married'? The fuck? I still didn't even know who she was by the time it happened. People don't do things that fast, especially when it deals with relationships.

    The other volumes are even worse than 1. If someone was so emotionally scarred from the first game, why on earth would you go play another? And the 'villan' was so stereotypical and idiotic, it was depressing.




    @Empire
    I've been thinking about reading/watching .hack but I accidently spoiled the ending for myself when I read the wikipedia summary :/

  8. #8
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by L View Post


    The reason I asked you was because, in all the reviews I read, I seem to be the only one who disliked it.

    I agree with you on pretty much every point. The 2 parts that get me the worst though, are Asuna and the sequals (vols > 2).

    Asuna, a blank character who falls in love with the main character for no particular reason. No character development, she just shows up out of no where and suddenly they are 'married'? The fuck? I still didn't even know who she was by the time it happened. People don't do things that fast, especially when it deals with relationships.

    The other volumes are even worse than 1. If someone was so emotionally scarred from the first game, why on earth would you go play another? And the 'villan' was so stereotypical and idiotic, it was depressing.




    @Empire
    I've been thinking about reading/watching .hack but I accidently spoiled the ending for myself when I read the wikipedia summary :/


    Well the work is probably (most likely) done by someone around the age of 12-16. Its nothing an adult would write or really care about i'd think. This leads to all his little 12 year old buddies saying is the best thing ever really, same shit happens all the time with crappy machinima's.

    .Hack has like 1-3 different seasons i believe, the games are also pretty fun.

    The only weird part is that i think the original .hack anime and .hack//signs are related directly but not. The second anime uses the SAME characters with different people, but some of the originals are still around. Its confusing as fuck really but if your into video games this is probably the best one out there.


  9. #9
    Shakugan no Shana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    female
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    5,213
    Reputation
    176
    Thanks
    830
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post




    Well the work is probably (most likely) done by someone around the age of 12-16. Its nothing an adult would write or really care about i'd think. This leads to all his little 12 year old buddies saying is the best thing ever really, same shit happens all the time with crappy machinima's.

    .Hack has like 1-3 different seasons i believe, the games are also pretty fun.

    The only weird part is that i think the original .hack anime and .hack//signs are related directly but not. The second anime uses the SAME characters with different people, but some of the originals are still around. Its confusing as fuck really but if your into video games this is probably the best one out there.
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the guy is an author in Japan, a rather big one at that. Don't quote me on that though.


    Mind linking me to a list of .hack episode downloads? I cbf to find one.

  10. #10
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Just type w/e the anime is and put "torrents" or you could look on nyaaa or pirate bay.

    .hack // Legend of the Twilight Bracelet
    .hack // Quantum
    .hack // Roots
    .hack // Sign
    .hack// Liminality

    I've only watched twilight, roots and sign.
    Last edited by Empire; 12-18-2011 at 08:30 PM.


  11. #11
    Shakugan no Shana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    female
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    5,213
    Reputation
    176
    Thanks
    830
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Just type w/e the anime is and put "torrents" or you could look on nyaaa or pirate bay.

    .hack // Legend of the Twilight Bracelet
    .hack // Quantum
    .hack // Roots
    .hack // Sign
    .hack// Liminality

    I've only watched twilight, roots and sign.
    I ain't watching the one with the guy main character who turns out to be a girl IRL, spoiled the ending for myself. Which is that?

Similar Threads

  1. How can I play Gunbound World CHampion!?
    By Beer_Hunter in forum GunBound Hacks / Bots
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 09:12 AM
  2. Gunbound World Champion
    By h0ang in forum GunBound Hacks / Bots
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 08:25 AM
  3. War World-tactical combat
    By Zedrion in forum Hack Requests
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
  4. Hacking world of warcraft? & a noob question
    By arsholio in forum General Game Hacking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 02:55 PM
  5. World jump day
    By -Avenger- in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 09:28 AM