Thread: Veritas

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Shakugan no Shana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    female
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    5,213
    Reputation
    176
    Thanks
    830
    My Mood
    Pensive

    Veritas


    Just finished reading it, was quite awesome. I've never really been a fan of martial arts stories but Veritas took the cake for me.

     
    Gangryong Ma was the boss of his middle school, getting in fistfights almost every day. He thought that winning those fistfights was what it meant to be strong. That all ended when he met Lightning Tiger, a man whose power dwarfed that of any man Gangryong had ever met before. After arguing, begging, and jumping through hoops for a year to prove his loyalty, Gangryong convinced Lightning Tiger to be his master.For two months, Lightning Tiger taught Gangryong the secret of ki manipulation by way of the Enlightenment Of Thunder and Lightning (EOTL), a traditional Korean martial art passed on through the centuries to one student at a time. By properly refining and focusing his Ki, Gangryong learned not only to increase his overall physical strength, but he gained the ability to create devastatingly powerful lightning attacks. When the two months were up, Lightning Tiger left Gangryong, warning him of an inevitable battle against a strong enemy and hoping that they might one day see each other.
    Months later, Gangryong was approached by an ominous group of men. He was presented with a box, and was told that it contained the arm of Lightning Tiger, whom they had supposedly killed. These men were from Reunion, a multinational organization whose main goals were the collection, evolution and eventual perfection of traditional martial arts and the creation of artificial ki, or natural energy, which could be used to make people more powerful. They forced Gangryong to enter a special school designed to train suitable fighters in the fighting styles that had been collected and created by Reunion.
    Now, within Reunion, Gangryong finds himself a flash-point for controversy. As student of a sworn enemy of Reunion, there are many who want him dead. As the sole practitioner of EOTL, there are many who desire to see his success, so that they may use his techniques. All the while, Gangryong must work to uncover the secrets in the training he was given, so that he may achieve the power he seeks, and finally avenge the presumed deceased Lightning Tiger.


    The story is supposed to be completed in part 2 but it is doubtful that it will be written unfortunately.

     
    Even though the ending was rushed, it still was pretty good. I was impressed with the Honse twist and Vera killing most of the school, including several main characters. Glad the author didn't go the shounen 'no good guys die' route. Wish he would have fit in the Vera vs Gangryoung instead of leaving a cliffhanger.

  2. #2
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    its a pretty decent read but its also......pretty odd in its storyline. While it does make a solid intro and for about the first half its pretty great on story.

    The second half......is a bananza. Its never quite explained what veritas actually is, why lightning tiger died, and why the fk the breathing technique is only known to one person. Then there is the part where the author just quit. As great as it was, the author just outright quit in the end.
    -------------------------

    If you liked this i recommend "The Breaker"


  3. #3
    Shakugan no Shana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    female
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    5,213
    Reputation
    176
    Thanks
    830
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    its a pretty decent read but its also......pretty odd in its storyline. While it does make a solid intro and for about the first half its pretty great on story.

    The second half......is a bananza. Its never quite explained what veritas actually is, why lightning tiger died, and why the fk the breathing technique is only known to one person. Then there is the part where the author just quit. As great as it was, the author just outright quit in the end.
    -------------------------

    If you liked this i recommend "The Breaker"
    Really is a shame the author gave up. I was wondering the exact things you said right when it ended. My face was like

  4. #4
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakugan no Shana View Post


    Really is a shame the author gave up. I was wondering the exact things you said right when it ended. My face was like
    Well when it ended i was actually up to date with the releases so i was like "oh ok, let see what part II looks like."

    Checked the translators site and there were pages upon pages of saying "he has not made another part and has no intention" and I was a bit shocked.

    I mean as far as series go, this one deffinitely had a good chance at being great. But then *SPOILER* everyone dies.


  5. #5
    Shakugan no Shana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    female
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    5,213
    Reputation
    176
    Thanks
    830
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post


    Well when it ended i was actually up to date with the releases so i was like "oh ok, let see what part II looks like."

    Checked the translators site and there were pages upon pages of saying "he has not made another part and has no intention" and I was a bit shocked.

    I mean as far as series go, this one deffinitely had a good chance at being great. But then *SPOILER* everyone dies.
    I've been browsing a bit and there isn't the slightest indication of part 2 being in any stage of creation. A good bit of fan rage lol.

    I'm quite disappointed, I tore through Veritas. The story really reeled me in, Gangryong was an awesome MC, completely different from the cliche shounen (or even seinen).

    About halfway through Breaker, isn't quite living up to Veritas but still is decent. Thanks for the suggestion.

  6. #6
    ShinNoctis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    78
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    3
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Veritas was great, I really enjoyed it. If you enjoyed Veritas definitely check out Breaker and Breaker:New Waves (sequel). Its a continuing manga so there is frequent updates to it.

  7. #7
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakugan no Shana View Post


    I've been browsing a bit and there isn't the slightest indication of part 2 being in any stage of creation. A good bit of fan rage lol.

    I'm quite disappointed, I tore through Veritas. The story really reeled me in, Gangryong was an awesome MC, completely different from the cliche shounen (or even seinen).

    About halfway through Breaker, isn't quite living up to Veritas but still is decent. Thanks for the suggestion.
    In contrast the veritas main character is willing to fight at any time. While the breaker isn't really willing to fight all the time.

    But all in all the breaker has an actual plot and veritas didn't. :/

    I like the seriousness of veritas at times, but when people come back and min-flashbacks are happening all the time its hard to put it all together.
    Last edited by Empire; 04-06-2012 at 05:02 AM.


  8. #8
    Shakugan no Shana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    female
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    5,213
    Reputation
    176
    Thanks
    830
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post


    In contrast the veritas main character is willing to fight at any time. While the breaker isn't really willing to fight all the time.

    But all in all the breaker has an actual plot and veritas didn't. :/

    I like the seriousness of veritas at times, but when people come back and min-flashbacks are happening all the time its hard to put it all together.
    There was a plot in Veritas, it just wasn't shoved downhill your throat and left you to put the pieces together

    The difference in the two that makes me enjoy Veritas more was the MCs. In Veritas, the MC wanted to fight, provoked fights, and you saw him getting progressively stronger. With Breaker, he tried to avoid fights but when he did fight, it was with WTF powerups shounen style.

    Both were good but IMO, Veritas was better. Im 20 chapters into New Wave but I don't think my opinion will change.

  9. #9
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakugan no Shana View Post


    There was a plot in Veritas, it just wasn't shoved downhill your throat and left you to put the pieces together

    The difference in the two that makes me enjoy Veritas more was the MCs. In Veritas, the MC wanted to fight, provoked fights, and you saw him getting progressively stronger. With Breaker, he tried to avoid fights but when he did fight, it was with WTF powerups shounen style.

    Both were good but IMO, Veritas was better. Im 20 chapters into New Wave but I don't think my opinion will change.
    Eh. I just prefered the simpler story in Breaker. Veritas......was vague as fuck.


  10. #10
    ShinNoctis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    78
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    3
    My Mood
    Mellow
    They are both good in my personal opinion. I enjoy reading them both, sadly Veritas has yet to come out with a second season although it hinted at one. The Breakers on the other hand, has as sequel New Waves which is as interesting as the first one.