Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Video Game anime/manga.

So there has been like 4 different anime in the past year alone on this subject. So I'm making this thread because I'm bored with studying.
    (Sword art online, [C], Accel world, and Btoom!).

Every couple of years we see the same boom in this trend of "going into the virtual world." From Tron, to .hack its been done.......a lot. Some series that don't even deal with virtual worlds do this as well(mostly shonen). It starts to get repetitive so here is my review of this years crop.

[C]-Control:

In this series "money" is given to a player and they then gamble within a summoning battle for the other players money. When all your money is gone you go "bankrupt" and reality changes to take away something precious. It sounds generally like your "life points" or "score" or whatever, but its supposed to represent money. There is this whole arcing story with the main bad guy and his desperate attempt to save japan. While this is an average show there is one huge problem. The author doesn't know jack about economics, and just throws out terms at random. This makes for the entire ending to not only be completely silly, but pointless. I like the supporting cast, hate the main, and think the animation was average overrall(even in BD).
    6/10.
    -Eh.

Accell World:
    Not much to say, its not really special in any regard and is pretty much generic. Although its mindless shonen its at least honest about it.
    4/10.
    -This series is just sooooooo boring.

Btoom!:
    Finally a series that isn't just about the video game world. Fun to read, its an alright watch. I'd say I'm more impressed at what they show than the actual show itself. Its kind of like a video-game survivor and its really fun because the plot isn't obvious! Out of all 4 of this years crop, btoom! at least shows some passion for the story over action. Interesting to see, not much out right now to fully judge the series.
    7/10. -We will see if it gets better or worse.

SAO:
    Yah know, I like it and I don't. I don't like the VN as the english translations make them out to be well.....poorly written. I like the anime if only for the animation and monsters. Although the story is lacking, its very nice to have a main character who isn't a little bitch so that goes a LONG way(seriously, can we get a medal for this guy?) Fanservice is a definite plus because its not overdone and its not the focus of any given situation. Love the characters, just wish that the story was better written.
    8/10.
    -Its a fun watch. It could do with some more plot and over-arc.

Darkness cannot be defeated. It can only be hidden in the form of hatred
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    So there has been like 4 different anime in the past year alone on this subject. So I'm making this thread because I'm bored with studying.
    (Sword art online, [C], Accel world, and Btoom!).

Every couple of years we see the same boom in this trend of "going into the virtual world." From Tron, to .hack its been done.......a lot. Some series that don't even deal with virtual worlds do this as well(mostly shonen). It starts to get repetitive so here is my review of this years crop.

[C]-Control:

In this series "money" is given to a player and they then gamble within a summoning battle for the other players money. When all your money is gone you go "bankrupt" and reality changes to take away something precious. It sounds generally like your "life points" or "score" or whatever, but its supposed to represent money. There is this whole arcing story with the main bad guy and his desperate attempt to save japan. While this is an average show there is one huge problem. The author doesn't know jack about economics, and just throws out terms at random. This makes for the entire ending to not only be completely silly, but pointless. I like the supporting cast, hate the main, and think the animation was average overrall(even in BD).
    6/10.
    -Eh.

Accell World:
    Not much to say, its not really special in any regard and is pretty much generic. Although its mindless shonen its at least honest about it.
    4/10.
    -This series is just sooooooo boring.

Btoom!:
    Finally a series that isn't just about the video game world. Fun to read, its an alright watch. I'd say I'm more impressed at what they show than the actual show itself. Its kind of like a video-game survivor and its really fun because the plot isn't obvious! Out of all 4 of this years crop, btoom! at least shows some passion for the story over action. Interesting to see, not much out right now to fully judge the series.
    7/10. -We will see if it gets better or worse.

SAO:
    Yah know, I like it and I don't. I don't like the VN as the english translations make them out to be well.....poorly written. I like the anime if only for the animation and monsters. Although the story is lacking, its very nice to have a main character who isn't a little bitch so that goes a LONG way(seriously, can we get a medal for this guy?) Fanservice is a definite plus because its not overdone and its not the focus of any given situation. Love the characters, just wish that the story was better written.
    8/10.
    -Its a fun watch. It could do with some more plot and over-arc.

[C] BY FAR, for me was the best out of all of them. I mean how can you give it a 6/10. It deserves to be the best out of them. The truth behind Midas money and the whole thing really caught me out and got my interest

Sword Art Online isn't as good as I though it'd be. It's just like.. too predictable if you understand what I mean.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by fingernig View Post
    [C] BY FAR, for me was the best out of all of them. I mean how can you give it a 6/10. It deserves to be the best out of them. The truth behind Midas money and the whole thing really caught me out and got my interest

Sword Art Online isn't as good as I though it'd be. It's just like.. too predictable if you understand what I mean.
    You didn't have to quot the whole thing for that lol.
    ------------
    [C] Gets a 6/10 for several reasons so let me explain each point deduction.

1. The action. Its boring and uninteresting. Every fight is won with one boring attack and its pathetically animated.(but hey, give this shit a BD release).

2. The main character is pathetic.

3. The plot and understanding of economics is ridiculously bad. It literally boils down to an agency flooding the world markets with fake money, which somehow that fake money can control reality as well. Yeah, entire countries just disappear from the "debt wave" that is created somehow by fake money and is collected by the same agency. Its hilariously bad writing.
    -Oh and the economic terms and ways of solving the problem(debt wave), are wrong at such a basic level its amazing how no one pointed this shit out to the author beforehand.

4. It has an unresolved ending. The entire system still exist. Therefore this whole story was essentially pointless.
    ----------------

Sword Art Online is above average but I wouldn't say its a classic.
    Last edited by Empire; 11-28-2012 at 01:44 PM.