here are some manga
1. Berserk(epic my #1)
2. Ubell Blatt(good tale,twist,art,and action)
3. The Breaker(martial arts, chinese style.)
4. AIKI(funny, martial arts, but nothin serious)
5. Akumetsu(graphic, political,violent, awesome)
6. Hellsing(vampire, guns, nazis)
K all of those cept "the breaker" are graphic.
For a thinker anime there are some, but right now i'd recommend Liar Game.
1. Afro Samurai(short 5 episodes, but pretty good)
2. Bakemontegari(has a style, if you like it, cool)
3. Black Lagoon(Badass)
4. Darker Than Black(hard 2 explain)
6. Gantz(Meh, mostly everyone likes it, so i reccomended it, i wasn't that impressed)
7. Hellsing(watch the OVA(basically a faster way to read the manga with lots-o-action)
8. Sayonara Zetsubou sensei(Funny)
9. Tenjou Tenge(manga is better but rly hard to understand, anime is good action)
10. Toaru Majutsu no Index(currently watching, nothin special, but i like it)
i like elfen lied so far. bleach is great for beginners, has good characters although not much in the way of a good story. im about to start watching full metal panic as well as gantz and maybe ichigo 100%.
DBB if you read manga, the thing is, after you've caught up, or read them all, you only have to read once per week/month for a new chapter(usually 15-25 pages). And if you read something like naruto or bleach, you can read the whole chapter in less than 5 min. Most of the manga i recommend are usually shorter than naruto(usually i suggest like 80 chapter manga) but the details of each chapter are important to the storyline, unlike naruto or bleach. With the exception of berserk, the manga's ive suggested are like 80 chapters, breaker being 24 i think. and i've had like 3 years to read most of my manga. I'll pick up a new one if it is interesting, but basically i stick to the weekly/monthly updates
Anime for me is mostly boring. I pretty much watch only Bakemontegari weekly and most new anime are pretty boring. I'm waiting for new seasons on some of my fav(Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon, Claymore, etc) but most anime to me are worse than their manga.