Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Twiixtor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Twix Factory
    Posts
    1,783
    Reputation
    45
    Thanks
    161
    My Mood
    Inspired

    Opinions + Feedback on PC Build

    This is the PC I want to build.
    I'm not a professional when it comes to PC building therefore I'm simply asking if there is anything that you guys would change without affecting the price too much and why would you change it. Thank you <3

    www . pc part picker . com/user/Twiixtor/saved/pfgkcf

    EDIT: Why is PC Part Picker not allowed? ._.

  2. #2
    Sakura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    京都市
    Posts
    1,213
    Reputation
    146
    Thanks
    376
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiixtor View Post
    This is the PC I want to build.
    I'm not a professional when it comes to PC building therefore I'm simply asking if there is anything that you guys would change without affecting the price too much and why would you change it. Thank you <3

    www . pc part picker . com/user/Twiixtor/saved/pfgkcf

    EDIT: Why is PC Part Picker not allowed? ._.
    If you're interested in a water cooled CPU cooler I would reccomend the Kraken X61. Its the one of best cooler currently (based on the temperture tests) and it runs like a charm. Plus if you're into RGB lighting it has that. Support is great as well. Its $119 on Amazon so its cheaper as well.

    Getting a 1TB SSD is a little overkill if you ask me but if you wanna spend your money on that then it up to you. I would switch out your SSD's for a 500GB SSD and a 2-3 hard drive. You obviously want your Windows to be on your SSD for faster boot speeds and other programs but the majority like games and files and stuff should really be on a hard drive since there's no benefit in storing those in a SSD. You will be saving a lot of money while getting more if you go for the SSD + Hard Drive set up. Get the Western Digital Black, fantastic hard drives.

    For the PSU, modular power supplies are the best to have. Easy to install and easy to upgrade. If you're intersted, you should look around for one or ask me.

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Twiixtor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Twix Factory
    Posts
    1,783
    Reputation
    45
    Thanks
    161
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post


    If you're interested in a water cooled CPU cooler I would reccomend the Kraken X61. Its the one of best cooler currently (based on the temperture tests) and it runs like a charm. Plus if you're into RGB lighting it has that. Support is great as well. Its $119 on Amazon so its cheaper as well.

    Getting a 1TB SSD is a little overkill if you ask me but if you wanna spend your money on that then it up to you. I would switch out your SSD's for a 500GB SSD and a 2-3 hard drive. You obviously want your Windows to be on your SSD for faster boot speeds and other programs but the majority like games and files and stuff should really be on a hard drive since there's no benefit in storing those in a SSD. You will be saving a lot of money while getting more if you go for the SSD + Hard Drive set up. Get the Western Digital Black, fantastic hard drives.

    For the PSU, modular power supplies are the best to have. Easy to install and easy to upgrade. If you're intersted, you should look around for one or ask me.

    Good luck!
    Thank you very much for your reply!

    CPU Cooler: I do not know whether liquid coolers are better or not. I just saw that many builds included this liquid cooler so I included it aswell. If air cooling would be better / quieter I would go for that. Any help is gold for me.

    Storage: Yeah my plan was to keep the system only on the 120GB SSD and everything else on the 1TB. I also want to eliminate as much noise as possible within the PC and I heard that hard drives can be loud at times. I always see builds rocking the SSD / HDD combo but I feel like the only thing I would keep on the HDD would be some pictures or videos which would take up less than 50 GB while I would install all programs and games on the SSD to make sure that they launch and operate as fast as possible. I'm weird like that, once I experience the speed I will never want to go back. I also have a friend who has a 1TB hard drive with a Steam Library 4x larger than mine and he still hasn't filled it up after 2 years of him owning the PC.

    PSU: If you could recommend me a good modular and quiet power supply I would greatly appreciate it

  4. #4
    Sakura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    京都市
    Posts
    1,213
    Reputation
    146
    Thanks
    376
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiixtor View Post

    Thank you very much for your reply!

    CPU Cooler: I do not know whether liquid coolers are better or not. I just saw that many builds included this liquid cooler so I included it aswell. If air cooling would be better / quieter I would go for that. Any help is gold for me.

    Storage: Yeah my plan was to keep the system only on the 120GB SSD and everything else on the 1TB. I also want to eliminate as much noise as possible within the PC and I heard that hard drives can be loud at times. I always see builds rocking the SSD / HDD combo but I feel like the only thing I would keep on the HDD would be some pictures or videos which would take up less than 50 GB while I would install all programs and games on the SSD to make sure that they launch and operate as fast as possible. I'm weird like that, once I experience the speed I will never want to go back. I also have a friend who has a 1TB hard drive with a Steam Library 4x larger than mine and he still hasn't filled it up after 2 years of him owning the PC.

    PSU: If you could recommend me a good modular and quiet power supply I would greatly appreciate it
    Liquid coolers are a ton better than the traditional fan ones. They offer very cold temperatures and are very quiet. Plus they look a lot cooler. I would go for the liquid cooler if your budget allows it. The Kraken X61 is the best one.

    Dishing out $300 for a 1TB for a SSD is, in my opinion, over board. Yes a SSD is "faster" than a hard drive but that speed is only really noticeable when you boot up. A 500GB SSD just the right amount for all the programs you need. If you manage your space well, filling up 500GB worth of programs/games should take you a long time. The added memory in a hard drive is for everything else and trust me, having extra memory does not hurt at all especially if its more than 1TB. As for sound, there is zero to none. I'm using the WD Black and its one of the best hard drives out there because of its advertised speed. I really can't tell the difference between my SSD and hard drive. I have a 500GB SSD and I've only managed to fill out 300GB worth of stuff and I practically keep everything in there. Trust me, you can spend that extra cash for something else.

    For the PSU, they don't make fully modular ones at low watts like around 600. I'll have to look around for one thats maybe 700W. Either way, more watts doesn't hurt. It opens the window for upgrades down the line. As for sound, many PSU have fans installed in them to cool it off (I'm sure you already know this). A fun fact I found out was most of the PSU that have fans don't run them 24/7. If your PSU starts warming up, the fans turn on and cool it off. Most of the time that doesn't happen so its going to be quiet regardless.

    It seems like you are really keen on a quiet rig. If you take my advice and not get the 1TB SSD, then you can spend some money on stuff that will make your rig really quiet. A good suggestion would to buy some after market fans for your rig. I can suggest a few so let me know if you want to go down this route.

    Im basing most of suggestions on personal experience and what I have read on PC forums. My own rig had the best of everything (excluding the graphics card) so I really put in some time when I was shopping. Anyways, give me your thoughts and we can work from there.

  5. #5
    Twiixtor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Twix Factory
    Posts
    1,783
    Reputation
    45
    Thanks
    161
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post


    Liquid coolers are a ton better than the traditional fan ones. They offer very cold temperatures and are very quiet. Plus they look a lot cooler. I would go for the liquid cooler if your budget allows it. The Kraken X61 is the best one.

    Dishing out $300 for a 1TB for a SSD is, in my opinion, over board. Yes a SSD is "faster" than a hard drive but that speed is only really noticeable when you boot up. A 500GB SSD just the right amount for all the programs you need. If you manage your space well, filling up 500GB worth of programs/games should take you a long time. The added memory in a hard drive is for everything else and trust me, having extra memory does not hurt at all especially if its more than 1TB. As for sound, there is zero to none. I'm using the WD Black and its one of the best hard drives out there because of its advertised speed. I really can't tell the difference between my SSD and hard drive. I have a 500GB SSD and I've only managed to fill out 300GB worth of stuff and I practically keep everything in there. Trust me, you can spend that extra cash for something else.

    For the PSU, they don't make fully modular ones at low watts like around 600. I'll have to look around for one thats maybe 700W. Either way, more watts doesn't hurt. It opens the window for upgrades down the line. As for sound, many PSU have fans installed in them to cool it off (I'm sure you already know this). A fun fact I found out was most of the PSU that have fans don't run them 24/7. If your PSU starts warming up, the fans turn on and cool it off. Most of the time that doesn't happen so its going to be quiet regardless.

    It seems like you are really keen on a quiet rig. If you take my advice and not get the 1TB SSD, then you can spend some money on stuff that will make your rig really quiet. A good suggestion would to buy some after market fans for your rig. I can suggest a few so let me know if you want to go down this route.

    Im basing most of suggestions on personal experience and what I have read on PC forums. My own rig had the best of everything (excluding the graphics card) so I really put in some time when I was shopping. Anyways, give me your thoughts and we can work from there.
    I have swapped out the CPU cooler to the Kraken x61 after viewing some info about it on the internet and benchmarks which show that it is a bit better and definitely cheaper than the h100i. Thank you very much for this suggestion!

    Okay let's say I go for the SSD/HDD combo. Your recommendation is to purchase a 500GB SSD along with a 2/3TB HDD and spend the extra money on after market fans? Once again I have no knowledge about fans so a couple of examples would really help.

    For the PSU, recommendations?

    Also wanted to ask if the Motherboard I am using is fine? I see a lot of builds around my price range use much more expensive motherboards like the ASUS Z170 or an MSI Z170. Not really sure what's up with that.

  6. #6
    Sakura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    京都市
    Posts
    1,213
    Reputation
    146
    Thanks
    376
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiixtor View Post

    I have swapped out the CPU cooler to the Kraken x61 after viewing some info about it on the internet and benchmarks which show that it is a bit better and definitely cheaper than the h100i. Thank you very much for this suggestion!

    Okay let's say I go for the SSD/HDD combo. Your recommendation is to purchase a 500GB SSD along with a 2/3TB HDD and spend the extra money on after market fans? Once again I have no knowledge about fans so a couple of examples would really help.

    For the PSU, recommendations?

    Also wanted to ask if the Motherboard I am using is fine? I see a lot of builds around my price range use much more expensive motherboards like the ASUS Z170 or an MSI Z170. Not really sure what's up with that.
    I used to be picky about motherboards but I found out they usually work the same. The ASUS Z170 is a highly popular motherboard for around that price range and I can say its well worth it. I currently use an Asus motherboard and I can personally say that the BIOS set up they have is really easy to use and navigate. On top of that, the Z170 has SLI support (you can add another graphics card) so that opens the window for upgrades down the line. The motherboard you have now is fine but if you want to drop the additional cash for a better motherboard, I would suggest that you do so.

    As for the SSD + HDD combo, I would pair it up with a Samsung 850 500GB SSD and Western Digital Black 1TB/2TB. Totally up to you on how much you want to spend on your HDD and like your friend, filling up a TB of data can be hard since there's so much memory. Still, you'll spending half of what you originally had in mind when you were going to buy that 1TB SSD.

    As for the fans, I gave your case a quick look and it seems like you can fit 2 fans on the roof, 2 in front, and 1 in the back. Here's the general layout of the fans that I think is pretty standard. I spoke with a guy thats works for NZXT and he reccomended me this set up. I use it and its working great.

    The single back fan will bring air in, the two front ones will bring air in aswell. The top radiator (the Kraken X61) will draw all that air out. So in total, you should have one fan for the back, two in the front, and your Kraken X61 on top (total 5 fans). The Kraken X61 comes with fans but if you really want to have a quiet case I would suggest replacing those with after market ones. Fracal Design makes some of the quietest fans out there. I have them and they have been dead quiet.

    Here are the two fans that you should have for the front: Fractal Design Silent Series R2 Blackout Edition FD-FAN-SSR2-140-BK 140mm Case Fan
    http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?...A-FD140BK&c=CJ

    You should replace the Kraken X61 fans with these: Fractal Design Venturi HP Series Black Fluid Dynamic Bearing High Pressure PWM 140mm Radiator/Heatsink Optimized Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

    Your back fan can be anything you want. I personally use a LED lighted one to make it look cooler and the sound isnt bad at all. Here's the one I use. Its a Corsair fan, 140mm.
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Green-...+140+LED+Green

    As for the PSU, I have a few in mind but I want to be certain so I'll have to look into them more. I'll update you later.

  7. #7
    Twiixtor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Twix Factory
    Posts
    1,783
    Reputation
    45
    Thanks
    161
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post


    I used to be picky about motherboards but I found out they usually work the same. The ASUS Z170 is a highly popular motherboard for around that price range and I can say its well worth it. I currently use an Asus motherboard and I can personally say that the BIOS set up they have is really easy to use and navigate. On top of that, the Z170 has SLI support (you can add another graphics card) so that opens the window for upgrades down the line. The motherboard you have now is fine but if you want to drop the additional cash for a better motherboard, I would suggest that you do so.

    As for the SSD + HDD combo, I would pair it up with a Samsung 850 500GB SSD and Western Digital Black 1TB/2TB. Totally up to you on how much you want to spend on your HDD and like your friend, filling up a TB of data can be hard since there's so much memory. Still, you'll spending half of what you originally had in mind when you were going to buy that 1TB SSD.

    As for the fans, I gave your case a quick look and it seems like you can fit 2 fans on the roof, 2 in front, and 1 in the back. Here's the general layout of the fans that I think is pretty standard. I spoke with a guy thats works for NZXT and he reccomended me this set up. I use it and its working great.

    The single back fan will bring air in, the two front ones will bring air in aswell. The top radiator (the Kraken X61) will draw all that air out. So in total, you should have one fan for the back, two in the front, and your Kraken X61 on top (total 5 fans). The Kraken X61 comes with fans but if you really want to have a quiet case I would suggest replacing those with after market ones. Fracal Design makes some of the quietest fans out there. I have them and they have been dead quiet.

    Here are the two fans that you should have for the front: Fractal Design Silent Series R2 Blackout Edition FD-FAN-SSR2-140-BK 140mm Case Fan
    http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?...A-FD140BK&c=CJ

    You should replace the Kraken X61 fans with these: Fractal Design Venturi HP Series Black Fluid Dynamic Bearing High Pressure PWM 140mm Radiator/Heatsink Optimized Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

    Your back fan can be anything you want. I personally use a LED lighted one to make it look cooler and the sound isnt bad at all. Here's the one I use. Its a Corsair fan, 140mm.
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Green-...+140+LED+Green

    As for the PSU, I have a few in mind but I want to be certain so I'll have to look into them more. I'll update you later.
    Wow I was not expecting such level of detail. You are my favorite person on MPGH. Thank you so very much!

    I applied your storage idea and most of the fans. Wanted to ask if I could use the same fan for the back of the case as the ones in the front? I would like to keep it as consistent as possible and I would prefer if the fan wasn't LED. Especially if it was not an Orange color to match the case which I could not find any fans use. Apart from the NZXT FZ-140 but it's not available on part picker in Orange.

    Last few things I would like to know to complete my build would be the PSU and Motherboard. I know you will update me later about the PSU so please take your time. I really appreciate everything you have helped me with.

    As for the motherboard, there seems to be many different ASUS Z170 motherboards. The one that caught my eye was the Z170-A and I just wanted to make sure if you would have any better suggestions.

  8. #8
    Sakura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    京都市
    Posts
    1,213
    Reputation
    146
    Thanks
    376
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiixtor View Post

    Wow I was not expecting such level of detail. You are my favorite person on MPGH. Thank you so very much!

    I applied your storage idea and most of the fans. Wanted to ask if I could use the same fan for the back of the case as the ones in the front? I would like to keep it as consistent as possible and I would prefer if the fan wasn't LED. Especially if it was not an Orange color to match the case which I could not find any fans use. Apart from the NZXT FZ-140 but it's not available on part picker in Orange.

    Last few things I would like to know to complete my build would be the PSU and Motherboard. I know you will update me later about the PSU so please take your time. I really appreciate everything you have helped me with.

    As for the motherboard, there seems to be many different ASUS Z170 motherboards. The one that caught my eye was the Z170-A and I just wanted to make sure if you would have any better suggestions.
    Put your the motherboard into PC Part Picker to find out if there are any comparability issues. There really isn't a difference between the Z170's. As long as its compatibility with your build then you're set. You really can't go wrong with the Z170.

    As for the back fan, use whatever you want! Feel free to use the same front fans as the back. The only reason why mine was green and LED lit was because of my set up. You're the owner so you decide how it looks.

    After looking around, I finally found the PERFECT PSU for your build. Fully modular, lots of reviews.

    EVGA Supernova P2 650W: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOV...ernova+P2+650W

    I based my selection off of JonnyGuru. He is the master when it comes to PSU's. Here's the extremely in-deph review of the PSU in case you are wondering.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=446

    If you need anything else let me know. Best of luck!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakura For This Useful Post:

    Twiixtor (07-02-2016)

  10. #9
    Twiixtor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Twix Factory
    Posts
    1,783
    Reputation
    45
    Thanks
    161
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post


    Put your the motherboard into PC Part Picker to find out if there are any comparability issues. There really isn't a difference between the Z170's. As long as its compatibility with your build then you're set. You really can't go wrong with the Z170.

    As for the back fan, use whatever you want! Feel free to use the same front fans as the back. The only reason why mine was green and LED lit was because of my set up. You're the owner so you decide how it looks.

    After looking around, I finally found the PERFECT PSU for your build. Fully modular, lots of reviews.

    EVGA Supernova P2 650W: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOV...ernova+P2+650W

    I based my selection off of JonnyGuru. He is the master when it comes to PSU's. Here's the extremely in-deph review of the PSU in case you are wondering.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=446

    If you need anything else let me know. Best of luck!
    Thank you very much for everything man! That should be it for a good while. I might just try and get other people's opinions about it but if I ever come across a major problem, I will be sure to contact you.

    Right now all I have to say is that I exchanged the ram and GPU to match the rest of the color scheme.

    Once again a giant Thank You!

Similar Threads

  1. i need Opinions about this Pc build without GPU
    By Devil in forum Computer Builds & Upgrades
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-06-2016, 08:15 AM
  2. New parts coming from Amazon - opinions on my new build!
    By CJacko in forum Computer Builds & Upgrades
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2016, 06:48 AM
  3. Thoughts/Opinions on my PC build
    By Airmid in forum Computer Builds & Upgrades
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-27-2015, 06:04 PM
  4. Give me opinions on my comp build
    By DavidDelirium in forum General Gaming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM
  5. Need an Opinion on this build for my bud.
    By nicogbd in forum Computer Builds & Upgrades
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 01:47 PM