Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Walkyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Zürcher Unterland
    Posts
    304
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    88
    My Mood
    Tired

    Zen or Kaby Lake

    Not exactly the right forum I suppose but seeing as it has to do with CPUs, I'll post it here anyway.

    Fall 2016, two new Processors will arrive. AMD's Zen and Intel's Kaby Lake. And I do wonder, what do you guys think about those two? Will Zen dominate Kaby Lake? Will Kaby Lake be a flop and Skylake continue for the rest of the year, or will Kaby Lake be the new king?

    In case, you don't know anything about those two CPUs, I'll explain it quickly.
    Zen is the newest Architecture by AMD, utilizing 14nm Transistors and the brand new Chipsocket AM4. It will be the first AMD CPU to utilize 8 Channel DDR4 RAM. Also the most special is that it will focus not on giving the strongest Single Core power, but focus on making Hexa and Octa as the mainstream amount. (Though there will be Dual and Quads as well, serving the same purpuse as the i3/Low-i5 of Intel)

    Kaby Lake is the first CPU using Intel's new System "Architecture, Optimization, Process" instead of their old "Tick, Tock" system. The new system means that there will be for the first year a brand new architecture, on the next year optimizing it, and on the third year advancing it. Basically "New Socket", "Add new shit", "Make Transistors smaller". The system has been changed as else this year Intel couldn't have delivered a brand new CPU. Cannonlake (The 10nm CPU) has been delayed to 2017. Basically, this is a Skylake 2.0. New is the adding of Native Support to USB 3.1 Gen. 2, HDCP 2.2, Thunderbolt 3. It will utilize LGA 1151 Socket and have the new Union Point Chipset (200 Series). TDP goes up to 95W, Quad Core is the max as usual and Intel Optane Technology is a thing now.
    Anybody who uses Windows 7/8.1 will HAVE to avoid this CPU and go with Zen or Skylake, seeing as Kaby Lake will only support W10 and it will flat out not work with W7, W8.1 or any other OS other then W10.


    I'll probably go with Zen. It will also be surely capable of messing up Intel's pride, seeing as every second year (Their Optimization Year) they can get hit by AMD if they make basically little to no changes. And this is what will happen this year. I'm hyped for Zen to see what it will deliver. On paper it sounds like a dream. Low Price for Hexa/Octa CPUs.

  2. #2
    Trenchguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    165
    Reputation
    28
    Thanks
    21
    My Mood
    Asleep
    I prefer higher speeds over more cores, but that's just what I do. So I'll wait to see the exact specs before I jump on either boat
    01110000 01110011 01110100 01100101 01100010 01101001 01101110 01010011 01000100 01110010 01000100 01010111 00110111 01110001 01110110

  3. #3
    Walkyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Zürcher Unterland
    Posts
    304
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    88
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenchguns View Post
    I prefer higher speeds over more cores, but that's just what I do.
    Indeed, for older games and even for some modern games a single-core is all they use. So a strong single core performance is mandatory if you like to play games like Oblivion. But seeing as AMD already has Octa-Cores that are clocked to something like 4.7GHz already with AM3, I'm sure they'll be doing something like that with Zen as well.

  4. #4
    enough007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    1,099
    Reputation
    13
    Thanks
    223
    My Mood
    Doh
    I'm more excited about zen, I hope that AMD starts making good CPUs and not the shit they have been making these years.

     


     

    liveorkpuller3 - Troll kid
    live:bestkevin - Troll kid
    deividas.talzunas - Troll kid (IQ: <50)

  5. #5
    mario223344's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    176
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    5
    My Mood
    Chatty
    I just hope this make the old cpus drop their pricexaaxaxaxaxaxax

  6. #6
    Walkyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Zürcher Unterland
    Posts
    304
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    88
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by enough007 View Post
    I'm more excited about zen, I hope that AMD starts making good CPUs and not the shit they have been making these years.
    I feel you. But at the time where Intel only had Pentium they were king. I hope that will return this year, seeing as Intel is slowly but surely walking into a dead end with their Core series. It's going always more expensive and less of a "Bang for your Buck" like with the 3rd Gen.

    Quote Originally Posted by mario223344 View Post
    I just hope this make the old cpus drop their pricexaaxaxaxaxaxax
    If it won't, there'll be war with the customers.

  7. #7
    mario223344's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    176
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    5
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkyr View Post
    I feel you. But at the time where Intel only had Pentium they were king. I hope that will return this year, seeing as Intel is slowly but surely walking into a dead end with their Core series. It's going always more expensive and less of a "Bang for your Buck" like with the 3rd Gen.


    If it won't, there'll be war with the customers.
    Probably a lot of problems with the new card can be possible

  8. #8
    Walkyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Zürcher Unterland
    Posts
    304
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    88
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by mario223344 View Post
    Probably a lot of problems with the new card can be possible
    Especially with Kaby Lake, seeing as they're supporting HDCP 2.2, which isn't even a thing with Skylake. Also, seeing as it ONLY boots W10, there is literally no workaround other then setting up a VM in W10.
    Zen should probably be from the getgo compatible with the highest stuff, seeing as it's going to be more modern then a 1080 and probably designed to handle those GPUs. With the Motherboards....that's another question...

  9. #9
    mario223344's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    176
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    5
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkyr View Post
    Especially with Kaby Lake, seeing as they're supporting HDCP 2.2, which isn't even a thing with Skylake. Also, seeing as it ONLY boots W10, there is literally no workaround other then setting up a VM in W10.
    Zen should probably be from the getgo compatible with the highest stuff, seeing as it's going to be more modern then a 1080 and probably designed to handle those GPUs. With the Motherboards....that's another question...
    We'll wait an see ..

  10. #10
    Walkyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Zürcher Unterland
    Posts
    304
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    88
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by mario223344 View Post
    We'll wait an see ..
    Exactly...but the hype is real for Zen!

  11. #11
    Freshout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    19
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    1
    ZEN FTW lol. AMD is going ham

  12. #12
    Walkyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Zürcher Unterland
    Posts
    304
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    88
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshout View Post
    ZEN FTW lol. AMD is going ham
    Yeah. Intel's basically dominating the market, setting prices too damn high for their CPUs while their AMD Counterparts will deliver something that will force Intel to go cheaper. And even so, Strong Hexa/Octa CPUs are something that I'd take anyday over a Quad-Core. Even if it means giving up some MHz.
    When people say they have built their own PC.


  13. #13
    Freshout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    19
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkyr View Post
    Yeah. Intel's basically dominating the market, setting prices too damn high for their CPUs while their AMD Counterparts will deliver something that will force Intel to go cheaper. And even so, Strong Hexa/Octa CPUs are something that I'd take anyday over a Quad-Core. Even if it means giving up some MHz.
    Regarding the cores thing, it really depends on what you do. I would definitely go for a nice quad core intel rig if they weren't so pricey. With AMD i get decent performence at a great price

  14. #14
    Walkyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Zürcher Unterland
    Posts
    304
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    88
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshout View Post
    With AMD i get decent performence at a great price
    Depends. AMD already has once brought out a AM3+ Octa-Core with the same price as the i7 6700k with a clock @4.7GHz. They might be capable of doing something like that again.
    When people say they have built their own PC.


  15. #15
    Freshout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    19
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkyr View Post
    Depends. AMD already has once brought out a AM3+ Octa-Core with the same price as the i7 6700k with a clock @4.7GHz. They might be capable of doing something like that again.
    Yeah when comparing the CPU's an Octacore chip might sound better than a quad core. In real world application the i7 would destroy when comparing single threaded performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. zomg a zen sighting!
    By Taoism in forum General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 12:41 AM
  2. Zens Broken Leg: The odssey.
    By Taoism in forum General
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 11:52 PM
  3. Zen Siggy
    By Zen in forum Help & Requests
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 02:33 PM
  4. Xmas Presents from Zen
    By Zen in forum General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-26-2010, 12:40 AM
  5. Merry Christmas MPGH - From Zen (2)
    By Zen in forum General
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 08:31 PM