Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Upgrading CPU & GPU

Planning to upgrade from a GTX 780 to a GTX 1070 and from a i5 4670k to an i7 4770k.

My question is, how long do you think the 1070 and i7 4770k combo would last for before it goes out of date? I'm not really good at telling how long a product would last for before it starts to go obsolete/legacy.

If you guys have any other combinations i could choose from instead of mine then I'm be happy to take suggestions as long as the CPU is an LGA1150 based socket and that it doesn't cost more than the current combo I have which about £650. (To save money)
    Contact
    Steam

Activity
    Join date - July 15th 2012
    Premium - August 2nd 2016
    fuck all else currently lmao

Purchases
    Number of successful purchases on the marketplace: 7
    Times I've been scammed: 2 (both over 3 years ago)

CPU: Intel i5 4670k @3.4ghz/stock
    Motherboard: MSI G43 Z87
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked w/ACX Cooler
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX700M 80PLUS Bronze
    RAM: 16GB - 8GB Ripjaw & 8GB Pre Build PC Stuff

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    The 1070 is aimed at 1440p gaming and you will get 60 fps on almost any modern AAA title so going for a 1070 with a 1080p monitor would be a little overkill.

also you dont really need an i7 for gaming.
    Last edited by Dave's Mexican; 09-17-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311
    Shuttup mexican
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    stupid mexican
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri~
    Shut up stupid mexican.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotized
    Why aren't you cutting my lawn?
    Quote Originally Posted by _Tavi
    Mexican
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri~
    Get back to cutting my damn grass retard.

Racism

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    dont get a 4770k get something newer the 4770k is dated at this point

Dank image titles by me want me to make you one?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Mexican View Post
    The 1070 is aimed at 1440p gaming and you will get 60 fps on almost any modern AAA title so going for a 1070 with a 1080p monitor would be a little overkill.

also you dont really need an i7 for gaming.
    I'm just trying to make a really powerful machine that'll handle any task really well for a good 5 years or so. The 1070 is more future proofing than anything really, so once the time comes where faster GPU's come out my 1070 will stand a chance and won't just quickly die out like a 1060 would.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentBoot View Post
    dont get a 4770k get something newer the 4770k is dated at this point
    I meant to say 4790k but because I was on the edge of dying when I was typing the post I put the wrong one.

I've re-thought my overall idea on upgrading, and instead of moving into a haswell refresh CPU, I'm just going to make the move to skylake and get DDR4 RAM, which should help if i ever have to upgrade when DDR4 is still around.

This is around what I'm going to get, I still need to decide on the motherboard as I need to check to see if there's a cheaper one that has 6 SATA ports and has atleast 6 USB ports.
    Last edited by Harry; 09-18-2016 at 06:39 PM.
    Contact
    Steam

Activity

Purchases

Thanks
    wow, youre worried about a 1070?? ive only just upgraded to a 970 lol. a 1070 will be fine for a long time. but why try and make it last 5 years? its easy to take out and swap over a card. you can always sell it on and finance a newer card with it if it does start to struggle.. rather than trying to stretch it 5 years.. go 2 or 3 and sell it while its still worth something. in 2/3 years time itll probably still be worth £200.... in 5 years time, sod all..lol... basically dont panic about trying to make it last 5 years.

but saying all that. a 4670k or a 4770k or a 4790k wont make much difference for gaming, theres really not much between them. most benchmarks have them near identical in games. yeh theres a few games that benefit from a better cpu, but not many. its the graphics card that does most of the work. unless you do a lot of encoding or something? and the 6700k isnt any quicker than the 4790k either.. in some games its actually a few frames slower...

if your budget is £650.... then forget mucking around with the cpu or any of that.. just buy a gtx 1080... job done. itll blow away any small performance increase you might get from the slightly faster cpus... it coincedentally sells for £650. must be fate lol. and itll be far more future proof than the 1070.. a quick and painless upgrade instead of rebuilding a whole computer..

and dont worry, the 4670k wont bottleneck the gtx1080. out of interest, have you overclocked it yet? theyre very nice overclockers and will happily sit at 4ghz minimum. so you could give your system a bit of a refresh by overclocking it if you havent already done so....and another potentially daft question, have you got an SSD? another relatively inexpensive upgrade thatll breathe a lot of life into an older system...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by boyka1203 View Post
    wow, youre worried about a 1070?? ive only just upgraded to a 970 lol. a 1070 will be fine for a long time. but why try and make it last 5 years? its easy to take out and swap over a card. you can always sell it on and finance a newer card with it if it does start to struggle.. rather than trying to stretch it 5 years.. go 2 or 3 and sell it while its still worth something. in 2/3 years time itll probably still be worth £200.... in 5 years time, sod all..lol... basically dont panic about trying to make it last 5 years.

but saying all that. a 4670k or a 4770k or a 4790k wont make much difference for gaming, theres really not much between them. most benchmarks have them near identical in games. yeh theres a few games that benefit from a better cpu, but not many. its the graphics card that does most of the work. unless you do a lot of encoding or something? and the 6700k isnt any quicker than the 4790k either.. in some games its actually a few frames slower...

if your budget is £650.... then forget mucking around with the cpu or any of that.. just buy a gtx 1080... job done. itll blow away any small performance increase you might get from the slightly faster cpus... it coincedentally sells for £650. must be fate lol. and itll be far more future proof than the 1070.. a quick and painless upgrade instead of rebuilding a whole computer..

and dont worry, the 4670k wont bottleneck the gtx1080. out of interest, have you overclocked it yet? theyre very nice overclockers and will happily sit at 4ghz minimum. so you could give your system a bit of a refresh by overclocking it if you havent already done so....and another potentially daft question, have you got an SSD? another relatively inexpensive upgrade thatll breathe a lot of life into an older system...
    I couldn't overclock the CPU because when I originally bought the motherboard 2 years ago I didn't realise it didn't support overclocking :P
    I do own an SSD but it's only for Windows since it's not that big.

I know you said I should just go for a 1080 and be done with it, but the issue is that most games require multi threaded CPU's in order to actually max them without issues from what I can tell. Also, I'll probably end up needing the i7 for tasks at Uni next year, so I thought instead of upgrading then and wasting more money I might as well get a decent system that will have it all now and not have the hassle in the future.

I edited the build in the previous post slightly and just bought that instead.
    Contact
    Steam

Activity

Purchases

Thanks
    you can grab a 250gb ssd for 50quid now. its enough for half a dozen games or so. if youre into games and going all out for performance then an SSD is a must. a regular hardrive is considerably slower and one of the biggest bottlenecks in a pc.

the 4670k is a great cpu. i cant see that you would have ever had problems with it. its better than the one im using in my gaming pc lol. its still highly recommended and respected for its bang per buck. but its nice to get a new system every now and again. your new one should last you for a good while.

you should still get a few quid for your current setup.. the 4670k is at least a £100 on its own... maybe £150... actually now it think about it, its only worth about 20 quid....i best take it off your hands for you...ill give you £30?? bargain lol :P

you might squeeze £100 for your gtx 780 too...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    It would last you a couple of nice years if you don't plan on playing every single game max settings 60fps+ but around the High to Max settings area.