Thread: Fans?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Fans?

So, i was playing Bf3 today and i was looking at the EVGA precision program and my Video card GPU temp was at 80! is this normal? my fans set to auto only went up to 24% i bumped up my Fan to 100% and my GPU dropped down to 60oC but still, 60? is that abit high or am i crazy? should i maybe buy some new Case Fans to keep it all cool? or maybe a PCI Fan to cool down my Video card why i play games? getting up to 80 make me worry i might ruin the card. let me know!

Thanks
    60 is fairly usual, 80 might be pushing it a tad. GPU's are known to heat up a good bit. You can look at aftermarket GPU coolers, they are not too expensive, but good cable management, a good dusting, and good airflow will take you quite a ways.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heartview For This Useful Post:

WhiteDagger (04-26-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartview View Post
    60 is fairly usual, 80 might be pushing it a tad. GPU's are known to heat up a good bit. You can look at aftermarket GPU coolers, they are not too expensive, but good cable management, a good dusting, and good airflow will take you quite a ways.
    Yeah i thought 80C on my Video card was abit high! i was starting to worry, so i turned my Video cards Fan up alittle, was sitting at 24% i was like wtf! i turned it up to about 70% and now i sit at like 60C on Bf3. i think im still going to look into a aftermarket CPU cooler and new case Fans, just to cut down. i got a liquid cooling system (for $10) its about $60 or so on ebay, but its missing the Lock ring, so i gotta buy that off Ebay (only $15) and my CPU should be called fine, but i was still worrying about the video card, also thinking of getting a PCI fan, just to make sure it doesn't get hot, and if i wanna overclock, i dont gotta worry about it over heating..maybe ill just buy a fish tank and fill it with oil...

Thanks
    My 7970 regularly heats up to around 60C (it idles around 36 because Im a faggot and cbf to get it lower) so its not a problem, especially one that would require it to be LC'd. GPU's can take the heat. Its only when they are effected by being too dusty or the air around them heats up due to lack of a present airflow in the case. Work on cable management and air flow before looking into LC'ing a GPU unless you plan to heavily OC and put some load on it. LC'ing a GPU is usually a lot of work, and you should never buy cheap ass LC loops to fix the problem.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    60C? thats about what mine run at when i have my Fan up to 70% when its on auto, it drops to 24% and i can get up to 80C on my video card, so i think running the fan at 70% is safer. i dusted it out as best as i could, i did run out of canned air tho >_> damn... ill dust it out more when i buy some, but with Fan's on, i think it should be fine, i could always put a Small fan next to it! lol i checked around the house, no Fan's to be found for my case, i only have 2 case Fans, 1 CPU fan, and the video card fan, the LC i got at a goodwill but the people didn't know what it was, looks like the picture below, missing the ring to mount it tho. idk, should i sell this thing? or buy that ring and mount up! might cost abit more for a new one but i can also buy a better one.

http://hothardware.com/newsimages/It...id_cooling.jpg

Thanks
    Honestly that looks sketchy as hell. I sure wouldnt trust it. It also looks like it might be for a CPU as well, picture is too low res though. Like I said, GPUs heat up a good bit by default. GPU temps are allowed to go a bit over CPU temps too. It will probably start acting up around 100C which is where real problems start (soldering connections breaking and such). 80 is considered the general comfortable high range, 90 is pushing it.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartview View Post
    Honestly that looks sketchy as hell. I sure wouldnt trust it. It also looks like it might be for a CPU as well, picture is too low res though. Like I said, GPUs heat up a good bit by default. GPU temps are allowed to go a bit over CPU temps too. It will probably start acting up around 100C which is where real problems start (soldering connections breaking and such). 80 is considered the general comfortable high range, 90 is pushing it.
    i agree it does look pretty bad, but i also got it cheap and just never used it. hmm maybe buying a new heatsink with a fan on it, would cut down on the Heat the CPU and a PCI fan would cut down on the GPU Heat. and just forget about the liquid cooler lol