Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    female
    Location
    In your meatus
    Posts
    23,560
    Reputation
    2912
    Thanks
    5,335
    My Mood
    Twisted

    Which path shall I take?

    So I'm at somewhat of a crossroads in which path I should take regarding my compootor.

    Right now my specs are as follows:

    • Intel i7 3770K
    • 16GB Corsair Vengeance C8
    • Asus Z77-Pro
    • GTX 680 3GB
    • 250GB Samsung Evo
    • 120GB Corsair Force 3
    • A fuckload of HDD's (last count was around 7?)
    • Silverstone Strider 850W Full Modular
    • A MOTHERFUCKING COSMOS 2


    Now I'm trying to make a decision as to what kind of build I want to make next. Both paths involve selling the Cosmos 2 to whoever wants it.

    Path 1:
    • Migrate the mobo, cpu, ram and gpu into a NZXT Switch 810
    • Proceed to create a custom watercooling loop involving some pretty high end parts.
    • Overclock the fuck out of the CPU and GPU
    • Migrate all my data onto 2 x 4TB WD Blacks


    Path 2:
    • Buy a Mini-ITX case (either a Silverstone TJ08 or a Fractal Node)
    • Try and source a Z77 mini-itx board from my suppliers
    • Otherwise I upgrade to a 4770K
    • Keep the GPU
    • Just have Corsair watercooler for CPU.
    • Run 2 x 250GB Evos in RAID 0
    • Get a Synology DS213J with 2 x 4TB WD Reds.


    So which one is the best option? I'm tempted towards the first as it would be easiest and probably the cheapest Way to go. But I love the idea of just having the Fractal Node sitting on my desk next to the Schiit Stack I'm ordering in. I'm also getting every part at distribution pricing so won't be as expensive as it looks.
    @Aborted
    @HalfBajan

  2. #2
    Lovroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    9,430
    Reputation
    611
    Thanks
    9,712
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Go with first (and post OC results) & pick one more SSD.

  3. #3
    HalfBajan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    5,763
    Reputation
    879
    Thanks
    1,096
    I'd honestly choose the Node, I love anything ITX.
    I've spent hours and hours on overclock.net mostly on mITX/mATX threads (Corsair 350d)
    They're actually releasing a Corsair 250d, it's also an ITX case

    I'm not a fan of the silverstone but of course that's just my opinion.
    Have you thought about the prodigy or any others?

    Also an ITX build with those specs would just be insanely awesome, and portable.
    With the 2x4gb hard drives though, I heard that HDD's over 2 GB are something you want to avoid? since reliability issues or something but I dunno.

    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys
    How much you selling yours for without the ssd's Cosmo's 2 is one of my favourite cases, would you ship?
    Oh and, where you get dis cheap stuff from

    Edit number fucking 10000:
    Just realised you said you're only selling the case daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, how bout the mobo + cpu + case? @Doc
    Last edited by HalfBajan; 01-18-2014 at 06:28 AM.





  4. #4
    Star|Track's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    192.168.1.254
    Posts
    138
    Reputation
    39
    Thanks
    6
    My Mood
    Amused
    Im not being funny, how much would you want for your Cosmos 2? I love that case, so torn between this and the 750D or 350D for Micro, so lets see how much you want for it. Id personally say go for the first option seeing as custom loops, look amazing and you will have alot of fun with it!

  5. #5
    HalfBajan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    5,763
    Reputation
    879
    Thanks
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Star|Track View Post
    Im not being funny, how much would you want for your Cosmos 2? I love that case, so torn between this and the 750D or 350D for Micro, so lets see how much you want for it. Id personally say go for the first option seeing as custom loops, look amazing and you will have alot of fun with it!
    Would cost more than you'd pay for it to ship to the UK haha plus it's mine





  6. #6
    Star|Track's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    192.168.1.254
    Posts
    138
    Reputation
    39
    Thanks
    6
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfBajan View Post


    Would cost more than you'd pay for it to ship to the UK haha plus it's mine
    Nah, wouldn't be too bad £15-£25 :P id rather pay that then the £300 it is here in the UK

  7. #7
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    female
    Location
    In your meatus
    Posts
    23,560
    Reputation
    2912
    Thanks
    5,335
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfBajan View Post
    I'd honestly choose the Node, I love anything ITX.
    I've spent hours and hours on overclock.net mostly on mITX/mATX threads (Corsair 350d)
    They're actually releasing a Corsair 250d, it's also an ITX case

    I'm not a fan of the silverstone but of course that's just my opinion.
    Have you thought about the prodigy or any others?

    Also an ITX build with those specs would just be insanely awesome, and portable.
    With the 2x4gb hard drives though, I heard that HDD's over 2 GB are something you want to avoid? since reliability issues or something but I dunno.

    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys
    How much you selling yours for without the ssd's Cosmo's 2 is one of my favourite cases, would you ship?
    Oh and, where you get dis cheap stuff from

    Edit number fucking 10000:
    Just realised you said you're only selling the case daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, how bout the mobo + cpu + case? @Doc
    Iunno, I'd sell the CPU + mobo + case for near whatever the replacement would cost.

    The whole lot for $650? The case alone is worth $350, but if I go for option A then I'm only selling the case.

  8. #8
    HalfBajan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    5,763
    Reputation
    879
    Thanks
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post


    Iunno, I'd sell the CPU + mobo + case for near whatever the replacement would cost.

    The whole lot for $650? The case alone is worth $350, but if I go for option A then I'm only selling the case.
    That's a good ass deal man , I'll see what I can do would that include shipping to melb's?





  9. #9
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Shitpost Defense
    Posts
    17,471
    Reputation
    3076
    Thanks
    6,394
    My Mood
    Twisted
    I'd personally go for option 1 as I hate the airflow on most ITX cases, and they usually end up hot and noisy. Besides, most high-end GPU's won't even fit in ITX cases, so your graphic power would be severely dampened. If you do go for option 1 though, I'd switch out the 2x4TB's for 4x2TB's, as HDDs over 2TB have massive compatibility issues, are far noisier, and a lot less reliable. GPU watercooling is also one of the most satisfying additions to a build.
    Last edited by Aborted; 01-18-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    When the earth is changed into a humid dungeon,
    In which Hope like a bat
    Goes beating the walls with her timid wings
    And knocking her head against the rotten ceiling;
    When the rain stretching out its endless train
    Imitates the bars of a vast prison
    And a silent horde of loathsome spiders
    Comes to spin their webs in the depths of our brains,
    All at once the bells leap with rage
    And hurl a frightful roar at heaven,
    Even as wandering spirits with no country
    Burst into a stubborn, whimpering cry.
    — And without drums or music, long hearses
    Pass by slowly in my soul; Hope, vanquished,
    Weeps, and atrocious, despotic Anguish
    On my bowed skull plants her black flag.

  10. #10
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    female
    Location
    In your meatus
    Posts
    23,560
    Reputation
    2912
    Thanks
    5,335
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfBajan View Post

    That's a good ass deal man , I'll see what I can do would that include shipping to melb's?
    It'd be around that price + $63 shipping including insurance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post
    I'd personally go for option 1 as I hate the airflow on most ITX cases, and they usually end up hot and noisy. Besides, most high-end GPU's won't even fit in ITX cases, so your graphic power would be severely dampened. If you do go for option 1 though, I'd switch out the 2x4TB's for 4x2TB's, as HDDs over 2TB have massive compatibility issues, are far noisier, and a lot less reliable. GPU watercooling is also one of the most satisfying additions to a build.
    That's what I'm leaning towards as well. As for the HDD's I guess I could go for 4x2TB in RAID. I don't really care about reliability as much as access and burst speeds. I was leaning towards the 4TB due to higher platter density = higher burst speeds = less spin time when accessing random segments.

  11. #11
    Ferris Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    6,706
    Reputation
    409
    Thanks
    846
    My Mood
    Hot
    Path A seems like the smarter choice tbh.

    Besides it's less of a hassle, which is always good.

    "“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

  12. #12
    uhZylon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    192.168.1.1
    Posts
    809
    Reputation
    39
    Thanks
    364
    My Mood
    Amused
    I think the logical choice here is to buy more Titans.

  13. #13
    HeroicXPharaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    7,444
    Reputation
    1140
    Thanks
    1,506
    Path A is clearly the best
    Former Mod
    January 15-October 15
    Don't goto college kids, it will ruin your lifee

    Please consider donating to help a poor paro

    MY ONLY SKYPE IS : XtremePenguinLord, ASK ME TO PM YOU BEFORE USING ME FOR ANY TRADE

  14. #14
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Shitpost Defense
    Posts
    17,471
    Reputation
    3076
    Thanks
    6,394
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by uhZylon View Post
    I think the logical choice here is to buy more Titans.
    The 780Ti beats the Titan in both performance and price.
    When the earth is changed into a humid dungeon,
    In which Hope like a bat
    Goes beating the walls with her timid wings
    And knocking her head against the rotten ceiling;
    When the rain stretching out its endless train
    Imitates the bars of a vast prison
    And a silent horde of loathsome spiders
    Comes to spin their webs in the depths of our brains,
    All at once the bells leap with rage
    And hurl a frightful roar at heaven,
    Even as wandering spirits with no country
    Burst into a stubborn, whimpering cry.
    — And without drums or music, long hearses
    Pass by slowly in my soul; Hope, vanquished,
    Weeps, and atrocious, despotic Anguish
    On my bowed skull plants her black flag.

  15. #15
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    female
    Location
    In your meatus
    Posts
    23,560
    Reputation
    2912
    Thanks
    5,335
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post

    The 780Ti beats the Titan in both performance and price.
    Except the one time where I could have bought a Titan for $600AUD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Which path should I put the assembly CSharp?
    By hjw2609 in forum Rust Discussions & Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2014, 05:55 PM
  2. To which movie shall...
    By Kuro Tenshi in forum Anime
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 12:57 PM
  3. Who shall take the thousandth thank?
    By Paladin in forum General
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
  4. Which game shall i download?
    By Polo™ in forum General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 12:50 AM
  5. Which GUN WILL OWN? Take your pic.
    By served24 in forum Alliance of Valiant Arms (AVA) Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM