Thread: SSHD vs SSD

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

SSHD vs SSD

Hi guys I'm looking for some advice regarding the upgrading of my hard drive. After looking around a bit I noticed a type of drive that I hadn't really seen before which is SSHD that, for those who don't know, is basically a normal HDD with a small SSD that it uses to cache to and from.
    My question is this: Would it be better to get a standard SSD or get a couple of the SSHDs and run them in RAID0.
    The main benefit of the SSHD is that it gives you faster speeds then a standard HDD but the same storage capacity and price. An SSHD with an 8GB SSD cache and 2TB HDD is about £85/$140 so a pair would just be double that (£170/$280) and would give me a total of 4TB storage where as a 250GB SSD would be about £120/$200
    Last edited by ainslie; 02-03-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Respect List
    Dave84311
    GAYape

AVGN
    Jabuuty671
    Arch Enemy
    Sketchy
    .::SCHiM::.
    Liz
    Dreamer
    Houston
    R3dLine

Thanks
    The SSD/HHD combo will be faster. The SSHD is a middle option: it's cheaper than SSD/HHD, but faster than RAID HHD's for most uses. I'd suggest getting a >180GB SSD for your OS and games, leaving at least 40% of the drive empty for performance (before trimming), and use a HHD for storage. You probably don't need 250GB; one of my computers runs off a 120GB quite well, but I don't have a massive steam account or anything. You can just buy another HHD as needed later. If you're on a budget crunch, then obviously that's the limiting factor and you should get a SSHD.

As of 9/17, I will be away for a few days due to medical reasons. Should be back up soon. Please refer to a GM or other mods in whatever particular section you need help with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I'm playing legit with my hacks
    MSN/Email/Skype: maddoggy00@aol.com
    If you add me on skype without an explicit message stating who you are on MPGH, you will be denied and blocked.

Feel free to donate if I helped you earn some $$

Tutorials for consoles and hacks

Woo.exe Oath Mode with Next Map option, Follow-Bot, Master map (runs any S1 map), Two Moons, Mining. Requires a .dll with hacks for full functionality.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by maddoggy00 View Post
    The SSD/HHD combo will be faster. The SSHD is a middle option: it's cheaper than SSD/HHD, but faster than RAID HHD's for most uses. I'd suggest getting a >180GB SSD for your OS and games, leaving at least 40% of the drive empty for performance (before trimming), and use a HHD for storage. You probably don't need 250GB; one of my computers runs off a 120GB quite well, but I don't have a massive steam account or anything. You can just buy another HHD as needed later. If you're on a budget crunch, then obviously that's the limiting factor and you should get a SSHD.
    Thanks for the reply as it happens I did look at doing just that and getting a 180GB SSD and just using my HHD for storage. However 180GB is, unfortunately, too small for my requirements as my program files alone weighs in at 170GB. The storage is quite important for me as I use my PC as my work station as well as for gaming which is partly why I like the idea of the SSHD, because it combines the two, and I thought that running a pair in RAID would further increase the performance bonus. Because SSHDs are only having to process smaller amounts of data then that might make the caching work more efficiently as well, although that's just a theory.
    Respect List
    Dave84311
    GAYape

AVGN
    Jabuuty671
    Arch Enemy
    Sketchy
    Liz
    Dreamer
    Houston
    R3dLine

Thanks
    If you have a desktop with ample space for extra disks, then I recommend 4 512 Samsung SSD's. 2 of them at RAID 0 and 2 of them at RAID 1. Best for performance and storage.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by | ∞ | View Post
    If you have a desktop with ample space for extra disks, then I recommend 4 512 Samsung SSD's. 2 of them at RAID 0 and 2 of them at RAID 1. Best for performance and storage.
    In an ideal world I'd love to do that, however my main constraint on this upgrade really is moneys so I can't really afford to splash out on that kinda setup at the moment. Thanks anyways though
    Respect List
    Dave84311
    GAYape

AVGN
    Jabuuty671
    Arch Enemy
    Sketchy
    Liz
    Dreamer
    Houston
    R3dLine

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ainslie View Post

In an ideal world I'd love to do that, however my main constraint on this upgrade really is moneys so I can't really afford to splash out on that kinda setup at the moment. Thanks anyways though
    In that case, I'd go for a 128 SSD (still prefer Samsung as their SSD build quality is good) then just get another regular hard drive for however much space you need. Yes, I did see the post above. But keep in mind most programs won't see (to the regular person anyways) any difference running from HHD to SSD. So only intense programs like After Effects or your OS itself would need to be loaded onto the SSD. Browser, Skype and other programs of the like can be stored and run off the HHD to preserve space.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ainslie View Post

Thanks for the reply as it happens I did look at doing just that and getting a 180GB SSD and just using my HHD for storage. However 180GB is, unfortunately, too small for my requirements as my program files alone weighs in at 170GB. The storage is quite important for me as I use my PC as my work station as well as for gaming which is partly why I like the idea of the SSHD, because it combines the two, and I thought that running a pair in RAID would further increase the performance bonus. Because SSHDs are only having to process smaller amounts of data then that might make the caching work more efficiently as well, although that's just a theory.
    The problem is, if you have that much data, the SSHD will run into the same issues. I'd still recommend, budget allowing, getting a SSD/HHD, and just installing the non-speed required programs on your HHD. This way, you have more control over what gets the speed buff from the SSD, and what is stored on the HHD.

As of 9/17, I will be away for a few days due to medical reasons. Should be back up soon. Please refer to a GM or other mods in whatever particular section you need help with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I'm playing legit with my hacks
    MSN/Email/Skype: maddoggy00@aol.com
    If you add me on skype without an explicit message stating who you are on MPGH, you will be denied and blocked.

Feel free to donate if I helped you earn some $$

Tutorials for consoles and hacks

Woo.exe Oath Mode with Next Map option, Follow-Bot, Master map (runs any S1 map), Two Moons, Mining. Requires a .dll with hacks for full functionality.