Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Proper partition management (creating, deleting, resizing, moving partitions)

The point of this guide is to show intermediate users how to manage their partitions without the use of expensive tools with all the bling but no functionality. In this guide I'll be using GParted, one of the best (if not the best) partitioning tools out there. If you don't know the basics of computer management you might have problems here and there, but I'll be glad to help with any questions you post here.

This guide will also be used in some of my upcoming guides (main how-tos about installing Windows & Linux).

It was written on a tiny laptop screen, if you find any errors or mistakes send me a VM and I'll fix it ASAP and mention you in the credits

1. What we need
    To make sure nothing goes wrong we aren't going to be running GParted in the system, we are going to use it in it's own live session (we are going to run it on a CD). We will need the following:
    • an IQ of 60 (no download)
    • being able to boot a CD
    • an empty CD
    • the .iso image of GParted's Live CD (download: Sourceforge.net - GParted)

Once you have all 3 just burn the iso file you downloaded on a CD and restart your computer. Make sure you boot from the CD we just made.

2. Setting up the session
    Once you boot from the CD you will find a menu like this on your screen:

Just wait for the timer to run out or press enter to use the default settings. If you are an advanced user and you already used Linux before feel free to change any advanced options.

2.1. Keyboard layout
    After some loading you will find this on your screen:

If you use a US keyboard or if you know the layout of a US keyboard then you can just select "Don't touch keymap". If you have a different keyboard select "Select keyboard from arch list".

2.2. Find keyboard layout
    If you selected "Don't touch keymap" just skip ahead to 2.3. and don't follow these instructions below. If you decided to "Select keyboard from arch list" you will find the following on your screen:

Make sure you choose the combination that fits your keyboard (look at the top row of letters). Because I live in Slovenia, my top row goes like this: "Q W E R T Z ..." I chose "qwertz". Now you should find all the layouts that fit your choice. Because I have "qwertz" I got this screen (you will see a different list):

Just choose your country's layout.

2.3. Set language
    Now you will find a list of available languages. If you want to use the default language (US English) just press enter, otherwise enter the right number and press enter. I chose British English, but it's the same as US English:

2.4. Set graphics
    After you have chosen your keyboard layout and language, you will have a choice of graphical settings (X is what Linux uses to create a graphical interface). Default option ("0") will start everything automatically - this is what you probably want. Option "1" will make you set up X manually (do this if you know what you are doing) and option "2" will use a command line interface. Since this is meant for intermediate users we will want to have a graphical session, so just press enter (option "0"):

3. In the session
    If you see this then you made it!

To get the most out of the default resolution (800x600), maximize the window. Now you should see something like this:

3.1. The controls
    Orange - choose your disk here (if you have more than 1 HDD)
    Red - partition controls
    Purple - disk layout (graphical presentation)
    Blue - disk layout (written info)

3.2. Partition table
    Skip this step and come back if you get a warning about the partition table! You only need this if you are using a completely new disk or if you want to change the partition table (advanced cases only).

If you got a warning about the partition table (or if you want a new one), just click "Device" in the main menu and select "Create Partition Table", like shown here:

If you aren't an advanced user just press "Apply", if you want a custom partition table press "Advanced" and you have a menu of different partition tables:

Because most people use Windows / Linux, we will select "msdos" (default option). Just click "Apply" then.

The point of this guide is to show intermediate users how to manage their partitions without the use of expensive tools with all the bling but no functionality. In this guide I'll be using GParted, one of the best (if not the best) partitioning tools out there. If you don't know the basics of computer management you might have problems here and there, but I'll be glad to help with any questions you post here.

3.3. Creating a new partition
    To create a new partition just click on a part of the disk (in the disk layout) and press "New" in the partition controls. You should see something like this:

Here you set all the partition info. You can change the partition position by entering numbers into the boxes below: "New size (MiB)", "Free space following (MiB)", Free space preceding (MiB)" or by moving the white strip on the graphical layout (grab the arrows with your mouse). Leave the "Align to" alone if you don't know what it does, same goes for "Create as:". If you want to use the partition with Windows you have to change the "File system" to "ntfs" (like I do in the picture).

Now you have to press "Add". But it isn't made yet! Now you can add another partition or do some more stuff and when you are done press "Apply" in the partition controls:

You will get a warning and if you're sure you want to continue, press "Apply" again:

Now it will start working. Because it can take a time just wait, even if it looks like it isn't doing anything. Creating a partition should be fast, but moving one or resizing can take hours! So just be patient while it works like this:

Once it has finished you should see this on your screen:

3.4. Resizing / moving a partition

This is similar to making a new partition, except that now you must select an already made partition and then "Resize/Move":

The menu that opens is almost like the "Create Partition" one, you can also move the partition with your mouse or just enter the proper numbers. If you have something on the partition you will have some limits on how much you can resize it! This is what it should look like:

Once you click "Resize/Move", you should get an updated view of your disk:

But it isn't done yet! You must click "Apply" in the partition menu first. In this screenshot you can see that I also added another partition. If you check the tasks you will see 2 of them: 1 to resize, 1 to create a new partition.

After clicking "Apply" in the partition menu you will get a working window just like when you created a partition. Just wait for it to finish (this time it can take way longer).

So after it finished I got this (just like I wanted, 2 partitions, one is ntfs (green colour), one is ext4 (for Linux, dark blue):

3.5. Deleting a partition
    This is the easiest thing to do, just choose a partition and press "Delete" and then "Apply" to finalize:

4. Credits
    • Me
    • GParted dev team for creating GParted <3

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alen For This Useful Post:

BossMan. (08-13-2010),noleash (08-14-2010),xh1qhsk1ll (10-02-2010)

Thanks
    Epic tutorial is epic, thanks for putting forth the time to make this.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Just going to thank you even though this has no importance whatsoever to me.

Thanks for the effort.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Cant you use the tool built into windows?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by ɑrtemis View Post
    Cant you use the tool built into windows?
    The "tool" that windows uses (if you mean it's disk managment) is completely useless. Say for example that you would want to install another OS on your disk but you only have 1 partition. You cannot resize your active partition so you would have to use another system that doesn't run off that (single) partition. Now maybe you could do it with a WinPE or something, but it's just easier to use this. And you only have support for ntfs / fat partitions by default (whereas GParted supports everything that exists, so to say).

So no, you can't use the "tool built into windows" for proper partition management.

Thanks
    This look hard, I got a free tools that make your formate a HDD, to how many parts you want and what file-system you want them to be.

and their free and work on all Windows computers.
    Official Sheep and Sheepfucker group

[X]
    Crossfire minion since 06-12-2011
    Minecraft minion since 06-20-2011
    Moderator since 08-17-2011
    Global Moderator since 09-10-2011
    Super User since 08-27-2012
    [X] [X] [X]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by pazzy34 View Post
    This look hard, I got a free tools that make your formate a HDD, to how many parts you want and what file-system you want them to be.

and their free and work on all Windows computers.
    This doesn't cover just formatting your HDD, it shows how you can move, resize and change partitions. And youre "free" tools aren't half as good as GParted, trust me.