Thread: Which?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored

Which?

I'm building a new PC, not sure what processor to get.

Specs;
    -nVidia GTX 460 768MB Fermi (super-clocked)

-ASUS motherboard (AM3 socket, DDR3 RAM, easy core unlocker MemOK! technology)

-ADATA Gaming RAM, 2GBx2

-LiteON DVD+R+RW

-500GB Seagate 3.2 MS seek time hard drive

I'm debating on which processor to get.

AM2+ will fit in AM3, AM3 will fit in AM2+.

Which of these should i get?:
    AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb
    AMD Phenom x4 9850
    AMD Phenom II X3
    AMD Phenom x3
    AMD Phenom x2 - B-E (Able to unlock 2 more cores within it, so it would be 4-core)

My max budget for a processor is around $150.

I'm not building this rig to play CrossFire, I'm looking more into the ranges of DiRt 2 (DX11 version) and Crysis 2, MW2, etc..

So far, i got the case, mobo and my video card.

Other parts are yet to arrive soon.

Suggestions people? D:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    I'll just add comments into the quote, too lazy for anything else. If you want to really play Crysis with all the effects, you will need a better PC for sure. Otherwise AMD cpu + gfx is a nice combo for a mid-range to high-range gaming PC.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyTheSnowman View Post
    I'm building a new PC, not sure what processor to get.
    Specs;
    -nVidia GTX 460 768MB Fermi (super-clocked) Unless you're an nvidia fanboy or a CUDA dev, go for ATI

-ASUS motherboard (AM3 socket, DDR3 RAM, easy core unlocker MemOK! technology) Could you be a bit more specific?

-ADATA Gaming RAM, 2GBx2 "Gaming ram" is bullshit, get something good (1600MHz / CL7 at the least)

-LiteON DVD+R+RW For a buck more you could get something with lightscribe

-500GB Seagate 3.2 MS seek time hard drive If it's a Barracuda then I would rather not go for it, get a nice WD disk

I'm debating on which processor to get.

AM2+ will fit in AM3, AM3 will fit in AM2+.

Which of these should i get?:
    AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb
    AMD Phenom x4 9850
    AMD Phenom II X3
    AMD Phenom x3
    AMD Phenom x2 - B-E (Able to unlock 2 more cores within it, so it would be 4-core)

If possible try to save a few bucks elsewhere and at least get a Phenom II X6 1055T (6 cores / 12 with HT)

My max budget for a processor is around $150.

I'm not building this rig to play CrossFire, I'm looking more into the ranges of DiRt 2 (DX11 version) and Crysis 2, MW2, etc..

So far, i got the case, mobo and my video card. wasted your money on the gfx card bro, if possible try to get your cash back and get normal ram / cpu

Other parts are yet to arrive soon.

Suggestions people? D:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    I'm not an nVidia fanboy, but ATI is more expensive than nVidia.

The nVidida GTX 460 unlocked performs better than the ATI Radeon HD 5870, which is just around $400 and the nVidia is around 220$.

You can unlock/OC the nVidia GTX with MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner and some other crap.

I can get 2x SLI's of the GTX for just one price of the Radeon HD 5870.

I quote from the EVGA forums;
    Aliens vs Predator jumped from 22.2 FPS at stock/default settings to 28.3 FPS, resulting in nearly 28% performance gain. What does that 28% mean to you? For a mere $200~$220, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 just matched the $400 ATI Radeon HD 5870. That right ATI, you read that correctly: NVIDIA's $200 product can perform as well as your $400 flagship video card. Ouch! That's gotta hurt.

And yeah, about that 'GAMING RAM' it's the cheapest I could find, I didn't mean to imply it was some type of 'special' fast RAM or smthn xD

And, atm I can't afford a 6-core Phenom yet, it gets really hot and I can't buy sufficient cooling to get actual desired performance without creating a firework show.

I'll just stick with the deneb for now...

But hell, can't imagine this being any more perfect seeing as this is my first time building a computer.. :P

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    I'm too lazy to multiquote so I'll just comment in the quote again lol

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyTheSnowman View Post
    I'm not an nVidia fanboy, but ATI is more expensive than nVidia.

The nVidida GTX 460 unlocked performs better than the ATI Radeon HD 5870, which is just around $400 and the nVidia is around 220$.

Performance is relative, both have their strengths and weaknesses and I'm pretty sure the 5850 can hold it's own (and afaik surpass) against the 460 in most games. Only advantage nvidia might have is in games with heavy tesselation (and other "new" dx features). If you want benchies go check guru3d.com, they recently had an OCed 460 test and you should have a few graphs to illustrate my point. And even though the 5850 might cost more, it also offers a far better OC headway than the 460. And tbh even though nvidia goes on to promote how the gpu can be utilised to process non-gfx data, the 5850 has way more raw power than the 460.

You can unlock/OC the nVidia GTX with MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner and some other crap.

Well the MSI Afterburner is based on RivaTuner (it was built by MSI + guru3d afaik) and yes, it owns

I can get 2x SLI's of the GTX for just one price of the Radeon HD 5870.

I wouldn't compare the 460 to the 5870, compare it to the 5850.

I quote from the EVGA forums;

As said, dx11 with lots of tesselation. Once you disable all the dx11 effects ATI outperforms nvidia in most games.

And yeah, about that 'GAMING RAM' it's the cheapest I could find, I didn't mean to imply it was some type of 'special' fast RAM or smthn xD

And, atm I can't afford a 6-core Phenom yet, it gets really hot and I can't buy sufficient cooling to get actual desired performance without creating a firework show.

I'll just stick with the deneb for now...

But hell, can't imagine this being any more perfect seeing as this is my first time building a computer.. :P
    Well good luck with your first build. But when buying future builds I recommend you opt for Intel CPU / ATI gpu for the best overall performance.

Oh and 5850 + proper cooling + epic OC = win. But personally I'm gonna stick with 4 way sli with the gtx 480 (don't worry, I have 5850 CF in my backup box /).

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Found some DX10 benchmarks for the 5850 and the 460.

GTX 460 = 10+ more FPS

11+ more FPS

I must have mixed up the 5850 with the 5870.. >.<

I probably would get SLI's but my mobo dun support it and I really wouldn't need it... My res is like 1600 x 900.. Not dual monitors :P

I tried out an Intel and ATI system back in the day, 2GHz Intel Core 2, ATI Radeon (old as hell, like 128MB memory) and it worked better than the integrated version of the nVidia GeForce 7150M.

I was gonna go with the ATI Radeon 5770 but then nVidia came out with a 460 so i was liek..

Now μ, loan me some money to get my CPU, RAM, PSU and Hard drive ;D

That's right.. i said 'loan'.. I'll pay you back [IMG]http://forum.****************/files/cool_face_986.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by FrostyTheSnowman; 08-18-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Lol you had to choose FC2. Nvidia will always be better in a FC2 benchmark. It's one of those games that just works better with nvidia. But overall ATI has more bang for the buck.

I thought the 5850 went for around the price of a 460? And I'm kinda out of money myself, I just upgraded my render farm and I'm saving for my desktop upgrade (gonna go SR2 + 2x Xeon x5860 ).