BFG 285GTX help.

EVGA x58 sli
    i7 920 2.66
    BFG 285GGTX
    Corsair 6gb 1066
    850w Toughpower PSU
    1TB WD Black Cav
    vista x64

About a week or so ago i started noticing drops in my FPS while gaming. They went from 124-165 down to 65-85. I didnt tweak any settings that would cuase this decrease in any way. It continued the drop until it reached 25-35FPS I stay away from overclocking so that for sure is not the issue. I can't find the onboard video on my mobo, i think it doesnt even come with onboard video....but ill check again to make sure this isnt a simple mistake; i doubt it is.

I checked to see if my drivers were out of date and they were so i updated them to the 260.99 ones i believe and it only made it worse. I average about 13-18 FPS on every screen setting 800x600 - 1920x1080. I was told by a friend to try a system restore and i did, but without success.

Truly i have no idea what the problem can be. Most of my games are through Steam, but I've tried multiple games that are not Steam related and it is all the same.

Can a virus be the cuase of this? Im scanning once again, to make sure its clean. i can watch video an do everything except get good frames on games, and very few bluray movies, but even before this started occurring it was certain blurays that were faulty and/or not completely read properly.

The only thing i can think of is my cpu is trying to handle the video processing, thus failing miserably; but idk how to test my gpu if it is even working.

Any help is grealty appreciated. THANKS!!!

p.s. system is about 1.5 old.
    THANK ME!! (grawls)
    THANKS button

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Full specs would be nice (google: Speccy).
    1] Afterburner 2.1.0 Beta 5 download from Guru3D.com
    2] MSI Kombustor (Furmark) 0.7.0 Beta download from Guru3D.com

Open Afterburner, don't overclock, just watch the graphs (Kombuster can screw up or at least used to screw up when I used it) and run Kombuster. If it works for a while just start running CPU tests and monitor CPU temps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alen For This Useful Post:

hafner (12-28-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I will do this and post my results and specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Coeus View Post
    Full specs would be nice (google: Speccy).
    1] Afterburner 2.1.0 Beta 5 download from Guru3D.com
    2] MSI Kombustor (Furmark) 0.7.0 Beta download from Guru3D.com

Open Afterburner, don't overclock, just watch the graphs (Kombuster can screw up or at least used to screw up when I used it) and run Kombuster. If it works for a while just start running CPU tests and monitor CPU temps
    i ran after burner and it showed my gpu working to 94%, fan kickced in to 100% to make up for the rising temps. But, it iss still not responding to worling in game. I ran kombustor and on 1920x1080 i averged 37 frames. When at that setting before i could prob handle much more with this card. since i still run games on pretty high.

Very frusturating to see that the gpu is worling yet it isnt kicking in when i go ino any game.

full specs:
    cpu: i7 920 @ 2.67ghz 34C bloomfield 45nm
    Ram: 6.0 gb DDR3 @ 531mhz 8-8-8-19 (it raises in game tho)
    mobo: evga 132_BL_E758 (socket 423)
    graphics: Samsung @ 1920x1080; 1024mb gefroce GTX 285 (BFG tech) 44C
    Hd: 977GB Western digital WDC ATA
    Last edited by hafner; 12-28-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    THANK ME!! (grawls)
    THANKS button

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    So when you're in game the gpu (on the graphs) doesn't show clock increases and/or load increases?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    its shows minor signs of improvement to like 70% but ingame is doesnt raises any FPS i even dropped resoluion from 1920x1080 to 1024x wutev's and it yields that same FPS, i check the consol if i accidently locked the FPS and i didnt, and since it works thru almost all my games, its gotta be the card.
    THANK ME!! (grawls)
    THANKS button

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    So when you're in game the gpu (on the graphs) doesn't show clock increases and/or load increases?
    Question's still the same ^

Does the gfx card actually work or does is idle during gameplay / save power?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Question's still the same ^

Does the gfx card actually work or does is idle during gameplay / save power?
    it does consume some amount of power, but not a lot. it only raises about 25% of idling while in game. I cant even hear the fan when i game anymore (yes its still working) but i have it set to turn on 100% when in game so it can raise to 100% (the videocard). card only raises to 94% when i run a benchmark.
    THANK ME!! (grawls)
    THANKS button