Thread: A few problems

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

A few problems

The first one, and most annoying at the moment, is my computer is skipping a lot. Like when you have a scratched CD and it glitches and skips. Its not hanging completely, but it just skips. Its most noticable when I have music playing because when it does it I can hear the music skipping. How it kind of gets stuck on one note in the song, and sits there and plays it over and over really fast until whatever is wrong sorts itself out. Another time I notice is when typing, such as the last sentence, and I will keep typing, but nothing will be happening. I can move my mouse around, but nothing is happening at all. I have iTunes playing now, and when itunes hangs up, I can continue typing, so it seems to be just one thing that freezes at a time.

This only started happening after I moved. I figured something might have been slightly loosened in my car, so I took the computer apart, removed a lot of stuff, and dusted it out, and put everything back in and made sure everything is snug. Turned it back on and everything worked pretty good, but it just started doing it again about an hour later.

I have kind of noticed that it does it more the more net usage I have, but this may or may not be a coincidence.

The second problem I have, which is somewhat solved, but bugging me for a while, is one of my dead hard drives. Its a barracuda 500Gb. Its been un-usable for quite a while now, and I havnt really bothered with it.

I was playing MW2 one day, and I got DC'd because my net dropped out. I figured I would piddle around until it came back, but my computer started slowing down really bad. It got to the point where I could hit the start button, and it took 10 seconds to come up. So I did a hard reset, and it has never worked since. It doesnt even come up in my computer when plugged in. I put a XP install disk in to try and use the formatting option there, it came up as a 0Mb drive, and when I told it to format, it said something about some windows start up/temporary files were there and it couldnt do anything. So I have since unplugged it and not bothered.

Today I went to the seagate website and downloaded SeaTools, and so I plugged the drive back in, b̶u̶t̶ ̶S̶e̶a̶T̶o̶o̶l̶s̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶S̶c̶a̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶S̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶F̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶h̶u̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶. I had plugged the drive in while the comp was on (I know I know dont start, it was dumb) and I restarted and it came up. The drive has failed every test Ive ran, and it turns out its under warranty. I would rather just format it to make it work, as there is a pirated version of 7 on there that I really dont want to have to explain should for some unknown reason the need arose. I had talked to a computer repair person I know, and he said that it was a bad partition or something. At this point I do not care about whats on the drive, I just want it to work again.
    Last edited by z11; 04-04-2011 at 02:11 PM.

I'm a Buddhist, Christian, Paramedic, Vegan, Straight Edge Pimp
    But most of all, I am the flyest one you will ever meet.

Thanks
    Its getting worse now. Its literally doing it ever 3 or 4 minutes now. And longer too. Its driving me batshit. I have not wanted to punch a computer this bad in a while

But I disconnected form the internet and it still did it, so either it would be the card itself, or not related at all. Im downloading Memtest now to see if tats the problem. I really dont think I can take much more of this constant freezing.

I let Memtest run for like 20 minutes with no errors, Im about to run Prime95 for a while and see how that turns out.

EDIT: Comp didnt even last a full 3 hours in Prime95. Last entry was at 5:30, I started at like 4:00.
    Last edited by Heartview; 04-05-2011 at 09:04 AM.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    you can just forget the hard drive problem. I ran Seatools for DOS and it couldnt do a thing. SMART had not been tripped, but it read 0 LBA's and 0.000 GB space. Its so beyond repair I cant even delete whats on it. Zero delete didnt work, full delete didnt work, nothing did. So Im just going to send it in for a new one, because windows seatools reported it was still under warranty.

I'm a Buddhist, Christian, Paramedic, Vegan, Straight Edge Pimp
    But most of all, I am the flyest one you will ever meet.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    what the hell do you keep downloading?
    LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD ITS A PLANE.
    ITS AIRMAN BITCH AND IM BRINGING THE PAIN.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hydra706 View Post
    what the hell do you keep downloading?
    What?

Im starting to think it is very linked to my net usage. Every time the router times out, it will come back and I will have freezing pretty bad. The less net usage, the less freezing.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    Well I solved this myself, with no help from here, so if anyone is reading this in the future, chances are, it has something to do with wireless internet. I have a linksys PCI adapter, and this is the first time I have hooked it up to a Linksys wireless router, and that was all that changed. I have it hooked up to a wired connection now, and am getting no freezing at all.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low