Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 80
  1. #46
    FangedBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,884
    Reputation
    69
    Thanks
    143
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Great, so - my sister went to go and get a new laptop, so i thought that was a good time to tell my mum that i'd found a good pc costing £550 but you have to build it yourself and she was like "NUUUUUUUUUU! it costs too much, and there's no guarrentee, you know - the last time we had a pc build [by a family friend] the fan broke down [GPU fan]"

    So narrow minded -.-'

    anyways, like any help on like persuasion? when she said about the fan, i was like you know, that was one of them one off/coincidence..
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

    It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems


    Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

  2. #47
    Alen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Liquid Generator
    Posts
    27,930
    Reputation
    2539
    Thanks
    4,216
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    Great, so - my sister went to go and get a new laptop, so i thought that was a good time to tell my mum that i'd found a good pc costing £550 but you have to build it yourself and she was like "NUUUUUUUUUU! it costs too much, and there's no guarrentee, you know - the last time we had a pc build [by a family friend] the fan broke down [GPU fan]"

    So narrow minded -.-'

    anyways, like any help on like persuasion? when she said about the fan, i was like you know, that was one of them one off/coincidence..
    Tell her that such a PC would cost well over a grand or so in normal retail and that fan replacements costs a few pounds at most. It truly must have been an isolated event, I've never had fans die on me within their normal lifespan. If it makes her feel better, tell her that everything is easily replaceable and probably has longer warranties than if you bought the PC as a bundle

  3. #48
    FangedBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,884
    Reputation
    69
    Thanks
    143
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    Tell her that such a PC would cost well over a grand or so in normal retail and that fan replacements costs a few pounds at most. It truly must have been an isolated event, I've never had fans die on me within their normal lifespan. If it makes her feel better, tell her that everything is easily replaceable and probably has longer warranties than if you bought the PC as a bundle
    hmm, idk.
    i'm seriously starting to think about just upgrading the shit pc i have now and maxing everything i can ;/
    pretty shit pc it is.

    2GB RAM [maxed this out last month]
    Intel pentium d 3GHz [LGA775 socket i belive]
    intel express family shitset -.-

    HP Pavilion g3100.uk

    Also, earlier - i looked on google about PSUs and apparently buying an unknown/cheap brand can fry things e.g GFX card..

    *sigh* hard life for an asian.

    Edit: *sigh no.2* apparently the best cpu i can have is the q9550 and it costs £200

    FML. JUST FML.

    Also, any more convincing reasons for warranties?
    My sister's POV: My dad won't do it because of the car crash and him going abroad to see my grandad
    Mum's POV: No guarrentee, costs a lot ;s
    Dad's POV [Most likely going to pay for the PC /IF/ i get it]: No guarrentee, likes prebuilt.

    Just a note: my dad is narrowminded and my mum is a little narrow minded
    my dad thought that buying a new hard drive would speed up my pc even though i told him 194709357 times that it was the RAM... #facepalm
    Last edited by FangedBeast; 03-04-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

    It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems


    Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

  4. #49
    FangedBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,884
    Reputation
    69
    Thanks
    143
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Also, just a question, why is like the 5770 like so expensive?
    like the 6450 costs about £50 while the 5770 costs £70-100+
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

    It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems


    Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

  5. #50
    Ravallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    17,106
    Reputation
    2134
    Thanks
    5,668
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    Also, just a question, why is like the 5770 like so expensive?
    like the 6450 costs about £50 while the 5770 costs £70-100+
    You should see it like this, the 6450 is a replacement of the 5450, not of the (more expensive) 5770.

    The 6450 would be a much better choice for a Home Theatre PC, the 5770 would be a better choice for a Gaming PC, perhaps even the GT 430 would.


     

    MSN: woutervvelsen@live.nl
    Timezone: GMT +1



    Middleman since: April 13th, 2011
    Marketplace minion since: April 18th, 2011
    Runescape minion since: June 6th, 2011
    Moderator since: September 28th, 2011
    General Moderator since: November 2nd, 2011
    Global Moderator since: April 29th, 2012
    Super User since: November 1st, 2013

  6. #51
    Alen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Liquid Generator
    Posts
    27,930
    Reputation
    2539
    Thanks
    4,216
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    Also, just a question, why is like the 5770 like so expensive?
    like the 6450 costs about £50 while the 5770 costs £70-100+
    Something like what Ravallo said. Typically both Nvidia and AMD (ATI) follow a traditional naming scheme, where the first number repesents the series (e.g. Nvidia's 4XX series or 5XX series and AMD/ATI's 5XXX series and 6XXX series), the numbers after that represent the specific "rank" within the series. Nowadays Nvidia uses X50 for its mid-range cards, X60 for it's gaming cards and X70 / X80 for it's high end gaming cards. Anything lower is mostly budget / low power stuff. AMD/ATI used to have the X750 and X770 as the gaming cards and X850 and X870 as the high end ones, as of the 6k series X770 is the entry level gaming card, with the X850 or X870 taking the old X770 place and the X950 and X970 taking the previous X850 and X870 places.

    tl;dr

    6450 << 6770 < 6850 < 5770

  7. #52
    FangedBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,884
    Reputation
    69
    Thanks
    143
    My Mood
    Stressed
    right...
    so the 6770 is just misplaced?
    i just had a quick look on google and the 5770 is £100+ o.o normal? Considering its in the 5 series...
    + why is it priced high when someone can get like a 6950 ect...

    Also, any more convincing reasons for warranties?
    My sister's POV: My dad won't do it because of the car crash and him going abroad to see my grand dad
    Mum's POV: No guarrentee, costs a lot ;s
    Dad's POV [Most likely going to pay for the PC /IF/ i get it]: No guarrentee, likes prebuilt.

    Just a note: my dad is narrowminded and my mum is a little narrow minded
    my dad thought that buying a new hard drive would speed up my pc even though i told him 194709357 times that it was the RAM... #facepalm

    also, after reading shit, i'd prefer if i didnt buy a cheap PSU, i'd rather have a reputable psu
    this comes cheap and is popular on scan.co.uk.. is it good/safe?
    [url]http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-psu-ezcool-silent-ps-05-uncertified-sli-crossfire-quiet-fan-atx-v203

    seeing as the total is now like £570 i guess i will have to downgrade on the gfx card... and i guess i kind would have to since my sister would order it and when she puts it into her basket, she'd be like "OMFG WHAT IS DIS!?!?! 200 POUNDS? UMAD?!?!" so the question is, what to downgrade to? the original 6850 as i said in the first place?
    though, considering i will have a 1440x900 res ~ its most suited anyways?
    + better value? http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+6850
    Last edited by FangedBeast; 03-05-2012 at 07:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

    It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems


    Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

  8. #53
    Alen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Liquid Generator
    Posts
    27,930
    Reputation
    2539
    Thanks
    4,216
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    right...
    so the 6770 is just misplaced?
    i just had a quick look on google and the 5770 is £100+ o.o normal? Considering its in the 5 series...
    + why is it priced high when someone can get like a 6950 ect...
    The 5770 should definitely be sub-100. It is at least over here

    Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    Also, any more convincing reasons for warranties?
    My sister's POV: My dad won't do it because of the car crash and him going abroad to see my grand dad
    Mum's POV: No guarrentee, costs a lot ;s
    Dad's POV [Most likely going to pay for the PC /IF/ i get it]: No guarrentee, likes prebuilt.
    > sister
    lolwat? unrelated?
    > mum
    Costs a lot? Retail gaming PCs with such gfx power easily go over a grand.
    > dad
    Easy as fuck to build a PC, if nothing else pay some techy guy to build it for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    Just a note: my dad is narrowminded and my mum is a little narrow minded
    my dad thought that buying a new hard drive would speed up my pc even though i told him 194709357 times that it was the RAM... #facepalm
    Depending on the PC, upgrading the HDD can be the single most noticeable change (oh the bliss of having an SSD...).

    Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    also, after reading shit, i'd prefer if i didnt buy a cheap PSU, i'd rather have a reputable psu
    this comes cheap and is popular on scan.co.uk.. is it good/safe?
    [url]http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-psu-ezcool-silent-ps-05-uncertified-sli-crossfire-quiet-fan-atx-v203
    I don't see how that is a reputable PSU... However as I said, anything that meets the requirements will more than suffice. No prebuilts have good PSUs, since it's simply not worth it. You can always just have it switched if it dies during the warranty period (though I very much doubt it will).

    Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    seeing as the total is now like £570 i guess i will have to downgrade on the gfx card... and i guess i kind would have to since my sister would order it and when she puts it into her basket, she'd be like "OMFG WHAT IS DIS!?!?! 200 POUNDS? UMAD?!?!" so the question is, what to downgrade to? the original 6850 as i said in the first place?
    though, considering i will have a 1440x900 res ~ its most suited anyways?
    + better value? http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+6850
    The 6850 (or perhaps the 6870, if you can manage) should still offer good performance, but you will most likely notice that not all games with cool graphics work perfectly. However is should be more than enough to any game you would possibly won't, albeit perhaps not all of them at max quality.

  9. #54
    FangedBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,884
    Reputation
    69
    Thanks
    143
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    The 5770 should definitely be sub-100. It is at least over here
    idk :s i looked on scan.co.uk and theres nothing... i search on similar hardware sites, nothing.. only the 5450... i search on google, b00m - £100
    EDIT: I think i know know, after some reading, turns out AMD rebadged it from the 5770 to the 6770 ;/


    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    > sister
    lolwat? unrelated?
    > mum
    Costs a lot? Retail gaming PCs with such gfx power easily go over a grand.
    > dad
    Easy as fuck to build a PC, if nothing else pay some techy guy to build it for you.
    sister > nah, thats my sisters point of view, she's saying that my dad won't do it/buy it...
    mum > yeah, i told her that on amazon, it totaled to about £700
    dad > yeah, about the building part, i know how to build it generally, i just need to know how to wire and shit [e.g technical stuff]... any tuts? (preferably video) ~ i'd rather not pay a tech dude ;p ~ bullshit prices.



    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    Depending on the PC, upgrading the HDD can be the single most noticeable change (oh the bliss of having an SSD...).
    no, he thought like having a bigger hard-drive would solve things, not the speed of the hard drive... if you get me..


    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    I don't see how that is a reputable PSU... However as I said, anything that meets the requirements will more than suffice. No prebuilts have good PSUs, since it's simply not worth it. You can always just have it switched if it dies during the warranty period (though I very much doubt it will).
    Well i've seen on google that some PSU's say they serve 500w ect but they have like some 12v shit on the rails [or something that a good PSU has] or something and it can't deliver what it says...


    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    The 6850 (or perhaps the 6870, if you can manage) should still offer good performance, but you will most likely notice that not all games with cool graphics work perfectly. However is should be more than enough to any game you would possibly won't, albeit perhaps not all of them at max quality.
    idk. low res though... :s buuut, about the 6870 vs 6850, ive googled that too, apparently the 6850 has more overclock headroom and has a better performance/price ratio... and i've seen somewhere that theres a 7% or something like that increase in performance for a 33% price increase... ~ true about the price increase, its like £100 for a 6850 and like £130 for a 6870
    Last edited by FangedBeast; 03-06-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

    It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems


    Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

  10. #55
    Alen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Liquid Generator
    Posts
    27,930
    Reputation
    2539
    Thanks
    4,216
    My Mood
    Fine
    Just youtube the how-to videos, you've literally got millions of tuts on how to build a PC. Watch a few and you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

    As far as the 6850 vs 6870 goes, yeah, you pretty much get the idea. Though every bit of performance counts too, which is why I recommend you get the best that you possibly can.

  11. #56

  12. #57
    FangedBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,884
    Reputation
    69
    Thanks
    143
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    Just youtube the how-to videos, you've literally got millions of tuts on how to build a PC. Watch a few and you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

    As far as the 6850 vs 6870 goes, yeah, you pretty much get the idea. Though every bit of performance counts too, which is why I recommend you get the best that you possibly can.
    hmm. im just now confused on molex ect, will the psu give me some? or mobo? how many? :s

    i guess. ty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delko DJ View Post
    for gpu i suggest you a nvidia gts 450 or gtx 570
    nahh.


    i'll probably come back with more answers so don't close this yet xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

    It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems


    Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

  13. #58
    FangedBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,884
    Reputation
    69
    Thanks
    143
    My Mood
    Stressed
    right, a new question.. what motherboard should i get??
    because i wanna reduce waste [of money] and buy things i dont need...
    also, i've seen on youtube [6870 benchmarking videos] that they dont use a high tech motherboard they use like 770 chipsets ect ~ though they still have a similar build.

    Also, i now want a bitfenix shinobi since I found out that the antec 300 had no grate/filter at the bottom of the case...
    Last edited by FangedBeast; 03-10-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

    It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems


    Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

  14. #59
    Alen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Liquid Generator
    Posts
    27,930
    Reputation
    2539
    Thanks
    4,216
    My Mood
    Fine
    Well if you want to save money, I wouldn't go with anything less than something like the 870. Also I don't quite think you need filters for where the air is going out, but that's your choice (I believe the Antec drives the air out at the bottom and back or something? Might be wrong, haven't seen the 300 in a while).

  15. #60
    FangedBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,884
    Reputation
    69
    Thanks
    143
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Nah, the Antec 300 doesn't have a grate/filter at the bottom, i also checked on google.. ty for the motherboard suggestion though
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

    It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems


    Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Detected] First strike DLC unlocker working from [25/5/11] (Works)
    By k.blackops in forum Call of Duty 7 - Black Ops Hacks & Cheats
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
  2. How long to code a hack from scratch?
    By VvITylerIvV in forum Combat Arms Coding Help & Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 12:32 PM
  3. 95% from scratch
    By SupB in forum Showroom
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 07:35 AM
  5. 100% From Scratch?
    By SupB in forum Showroom
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 05:46 PM