Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Exclamation Ubuntu + GRUB Loader = CANT INSTALL ANYTHING

Okay, so my friend said I should replace my shitty Windows XP Pro 32-bit with Ubuntu 32-bit, so I said, sure. I did that, but I had to burn it to a disc and blah blah blah.

After the installation, he said I wouldn't need XP, and I searched up how to remove an OS, and somewhere I read was that you needed to delete the partition, and since Ubuntu couldn't connect to my gaming mouse (no drivers available for Ubuntu) I decided it was the one to be removed and I'd keep my XP. However, I didn't know that deleting an entire partition was a really retarded idea at the time. Now, as far as I can tell, my computer only detected half my drive (40gb/70gb). Just before I deleted the partition, the System Drive Manager said that I have 40gb in one partition, and then 1748gb of memory left... On a 70GB HDD? I doubt it.

So now, I'm stuck with Ubuntu, which for some reason is also laggy as shit, multiple install discs (Windows XP on DVD, Ubuntu on CD, Windows XP on CD, and Windows 7 on DVD)

Before you say anything about getting a new computer, my dad won't let me, and I've already tried resetting my BIOS, reinstalling Ubuntu and using a Windows emulator inside of it. I haven't tried anything with the HDD itself, but I can't find it.

Don't know if it'll help, but here are the PC specs.

Computer:
    HP dx5150 SFF

RAM DDR4 (400mhz):
    Slot 1: 1024MB / 1GB - Kingston
    Slot 2: 256mb - Infineon
    Slot 3: 1024MB / 1GB - Generic
    Slot 4: 1024MB / 1GB - Generic

Video Card:
    Integrated Card. Don't know much about it. 64mb of memory in it.

Processor:
    AMD Athlon 3500+ (i think. I might be wrong. xD)
    2.2GhZ

Can anyone please help me with this? I'm trying to restore my computer to not only use the entire drive, but also to remove Ubuntu so I can install Windows.
    Thank meh if I helped you

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    I doubt you'll be able to recover your Windows in a manner that would make it work again. The reason why Ubuntu's "lagging" is most likely because you're a PC and Linux newbie and haven't yet managed to configure it. I won't bother explaining how to do that, as for the actual removal and installation of XP - BIOS has nothing to do with it (derp). Just pop in the XP CD, delete the Ubuntu partition and recreate partitions however you see fit. The bootloader should get overwritten as should the MBR. Dunno how hard that can be

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    I doubt you'll be able to recover your Windows in a manner that would make it work again. The reason why Ubuntu's "lagging" is most likely because you're a PC and Linux newbie and haven't yet managed to configure it. I won't bother explaining how to do that, as for the actual removal and installation of XP - BIOS has nothing to do with it (derp). Just pop in the XP CD, delete the Ubuntu partition and recreate partitions however you see fit. The bootloader should get overwritten as should the MBR. Dunno how hard that can be
    Someone said to reset the BIOS and it should be fine. I was like, bs, but I did it anyways. Grub loader skips over any disc I put in unless it's the grub loader disc itself .-. and I'm not a windows noob since I've been using windows long enough to remember virtually every feature it has... (especially since I deleted a good chunk of them all) and I did configure it. 6times. >_>" F-ck Ubuntu. xD

Do you think the fact that my CD isn't the actual installation copy CD would make it so the GRUB loader would ignore it?

Quote Originally Posted by deadman97 View Post
    I have no idea what your talking about
    If you don't know, then don't post a reply. Simple knowledge bro.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by M4ster H4cker View Post
    Someone said to reset the BIOS and it should be fine. I was like, bs, but I did it anyways. Grub loader skips over any disc I put in unless it's the grub loader disc itself .-. and I'm not a windows noob since I've been using windows long enough to remember virtually every feature it has... (especially since I deleted a good chunk of them all) and I did configure it. 6times. >_>" F-ck Ubuntu. xD

Do you think the fact that my CD isn't the actual installation copy CD would make it so the GRUB loader would ignore it?

If you don't know, then don't post a reply. Simple knowledge bro.
    I don't see how GRUB would mess with booting from a CD either ... GRUB only loads once the HDD is being booted =/ Check your boot priority and set your CD/DVD drive before your HDDs.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    I don't see how GRUB would mess with booting from a CD either ... GRUB only loads once the HDD is being booted =/ Check your boot priority and set your CD/DVD drive before your HDDs.
    I'm a windows nerd... Care to explain how to do that? because upon booting, it says "Boot from CD" and then goes to the GRUB loader instantly...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    I'm a windows nerd... Care to explain how to do that? because upon booting, it says "Boot from CD" and then goes to the GRUB loader instantly...
    Check your motherboard manual on how to boot from a CD, this isn't specific to any software

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen #SCHWÄÄGGIN' View Post
    Check your motherboard manual on how to boot from a CD, this isn't specific to any software
    Hehehehe.... Slight problem xDDD lol. I can find this manual online right?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Hehehehe.... Slight problem xDDD lol. I can find this manual online right?
    Yes, just google it

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by m3_ View Post
    Yes, just google it
    Eehhh.... IT seems a little far fetched....

Good news: I formatted the entire drive to NTFS from.... FAT or whatever Ubuntu uses.
    Bad news: didn't reset....anything... xD soo Changed it so the computer only boots from CDs, but it still said I need a boot disc (floppy discs....).... Would it be easier just to change the HDD itself?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Eehhh.... IT seems a little far fetched....

Good news: I formatted the entire drive to NTFS from.... FAT or whatever Ubuntu uses.
    Bad news: didn't reset....anything... xD soo Changed it so the computer only boots from CDs, but it still said I need a boot disc (floppy discs....).... Would it be easier just to change the HDD itself?
    Not, it's not far-fetched. Literally every manufacturer I've ever had as online manuals for their motherboards available for download. If you really formatted the whole drive from ext (what most Linux distros use) then grub should throw an error since its files are supposedly missing. If you can't boot from a CD, changing the HDD won't change that