Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    Quote Originally Posted by KamielFTW View Post
    Still want to know if I need a DvD thingy XD
    Yeah you do if you're gonna put in the Windows OS disc.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Sorry for the late appearance, I've been kinda off MPGH for a couple of days now. Anyways, here goes:

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenom View Post
    Dude, why do you give a shit about cores or processor speed?
    Are you going to use all 8 cores?
    With i5 2500k, it has unlocked multipliers, meaning you could easily overclock it to over 4Ghz with no problem.
    That RAM speed is a waste of money.
    If the most intensive task you do is play games or use Prime95 or something to see max load temperatures, go with 1600mhz or some shit.
    Something like this ^

Though if you do intend to stream, processor power is something you might want to watch, as well as having enough RAM. Not fast enough, but having it large enough - anything beyond the normal 1600MHz CL8 ram won't really show too much improvement. The 2500k is worth buying over any AMD, regardless of how many cores it may have, as cores != power and simply put AMD sucks balls right now.

I am also planning to do livestreams of different games; League of Legends; Skyrim and maybe even BF3
    I'm fine with a quad core, but I will use this PC a lot for livestreaming, recording with fraps, rendering etc. And I dont want it to be laggy so I'd rather have this RAM, especially since the mobo supports dual channel DDR3-2133Mhz
    You're most likely better off with more ram than faster ram, but it's up to you to find the best price/performance combo. If that ram has anywhere close to decent timings it's a great deal, if you ask me.

Waste of money dude.
    Drop the GTX 580 and that RAM and go for 1600.
    You won't notice much difference with RAM speed especially with what you're doing.
    Go for 7870, a lot cheaper and just a tiny bit less performance.
    Just a tiny bit.
    Benchmark Results: Battlefield 3 : AMD Radeon HD 7870 And 7850 Review: Pitcairn Gets Benchmarked
    I don't know what website it's from, but I guarantee that it's much cheaper than the 580.

As already said I can pay like 150 euros for the GTX580, so its not a waste at all, the 7870 costs more for less performance, in my situation
    If you can really get it that cheap, congrats. Otherwise if you're looking at stock prices, AMD does have the upper hand in price/performance, afaik. Tbh I haven't had time to follow current price trends too much, so I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    indeed it is.
    i here by summon @Alen to tell you about the core shit.
    No need for. I don't need an eight core, I just read it somewhere. I thought I might get in trouble when livestreaming on a quad but nope.
    tl;dr eight core / twelve core cpus ain't bad, the AMD FX series is bad. 2600k or anything better is awesome, but imo the 2500k should suffice.

Still want to know if I need a DvD thingy XD
    You don't, unless you intend to watch DVDs or install games from it. You can easily use a USB key to install Windows (Microsoft even released a tool for it - Google "Microsoft USB/DVD Tool" or something) and you can easily use game cdns to download games (Steam, Origin etc.).

Also my opinion on the build (Intel one):
    - Case: I would personally go for performance/price over looks, but it's completely your call. I had a period when I had my case all fancy, and I know it feels awesome
    - Ram: I would rather go for more and slightly slower, but it's your call
    - Gfx: AMD has the better price/performance ratio, unless you really have an awesome offer
    - HDD: I would rather go for a smaller, more performance-oriented disk. Perhaps a spinpoint F3, they've never failed me so far. Also you could start saving up for an SSD, it would give you a noticeable boost in system snappiness and speed.
    - PSU: looks cool
    - OS: your mum wouldn't know whether it's pirated or not, but your call
    - CPU cooler: it's pretty good, I'd stick to it
    - CPU: pretty good, should offer an okay OC with the noctua nh-d14
    - mobo: okay.jpg, I would have personally gone for something less fancy and more bang for the buck. But it's your call, and Asus is generally accepted as one reliable manufacturer.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    Sorry for the late appearance, I've been kinda off MPGH for a couple of days now. Anyways, here goes:

Something like this ^

Though if you do intend to stream, processor power is something you might want to watch, as well as having enough RAM. Not fast enough, but having it large enough - anything beyond the normal 1600MHz CL8 ram won't really show too much improvement. The 2500k is worth buying over any AMD, regardless of how many cores it may have, as cores != power and simply put AMD sucks balls right now.

You're most likely better off with more ram than faster ram, but it's up to you to find the best price/performance combo. If that ram has anywhere close to decent timings it's a great deal, if you ask me.

If you can really get it that cheap, congrats. Otherwise if you're looking at stock prices, AMD does have the upper hand in price/performance, afaik. Tbh I haven't had time to follow current price trends too much, so I might be wrong.

tl;dr eight core / twelve core cpus ain't bad, the AMD FX series is bad. 2600k or anything better is awesome, but imo the 2500k should suffice.

You don't, unless you intend to watch DVDs or install games from it. You can easily use a USB key to install Windows (Microsoft even released a tool for it - Google "Microsoft USB/DVD Tool" or something) and you can easily use game cdns to download games (Steam, Origin etc.).

Also my opinion on the build (Intel one):
    - Case: I would personally go for performance/price over looks, but it's completely your call. I had a period when I had my case all fancy, and I know it feels awesome
    - Ram: I would rather go for more and slightly slower, but it's your call
    - Gfx: AMD has the better price/performance ratio, unless you really have an awesome offer
    - HDD: I would rather go for a smaller, more performance-oriented disk. Perhaps a spinpoint F3, they've never failed me so far. Also you could start saving up for an SSD, it would give you a noticeable boost in system snappiness and speed.
    - PSU: looks cool
    - OS: your mum wouldn't know whether it's pirated or not, but your call
    - CPU cooler: it's pretty good, I'd stick to it
    - CPU: pretty good, should offer an okay OC with the noctua nh-d14
    - mobo: okay.jpg, I would have personally gone for something less fancy and more bang for the buck. But it's your call, and Asus is generally accepted as one reliable manufacturer.
    No problem at all, I'm ordering in 2 days so there's still plenty of time left

3 things:

What mobo would you recommend?

You are basically saying that 16 Gigs of RAM will work better at like 1600 Mhz than 8 Gigs of RAM at 2133 Mhz for livestreaming right? because I can also get this: http://www.alternate.nl/html/product...d-Kit/608268/? which is 16 Gigs of RAM at 1600 Mhz, not sure if its supported by the mobo though. If the mobo site says supports Dual Channel DDR3-2133 will it also support less than 2133?

this graphics card has better performance than a AMD right? If you both would be able to get them for the same price, which one would you take?

SIDENOTE:
    I know about this windows stuff, but she's the one ordering, she needs to see a windows order x)
    Last edited by ZeroTroubles; 03-21-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    What mobo would you recommend?
    I'll get back to you tomorrow on that, I haven't really checked market trends and shit for the past two weeks or so. Most likely I'll end up with a MSI or Asrock board, both offer quite a few cheaper, but nonetheless pretty solid, boards. Alternatively Gigabyte usually hits a sweet spot with a good board that lacks fancy stuff, but is pretty decent when it comes to OCing etc, whereas Asus just tends to add everything that would boost their price.

You are basically saying that 16 Gigs of RAM will work better at like 1600 Mhz than 8 Gigs of RAM at 2133 Mhz for livestreaming right? because I can also get this: http://www.alternate.nl/html/product...d-Kit/608268/? which is 16 Gigs of RAM at 1600 Mhz, not sure if its supported by the mobo though. If the mobo site says supports Dual Channel DDR3-2133 will it also support less than 2133?
    What mobos list is usually the "best" they can support, practically everything should be able to use 1600MHz ram. And yes, 16 gigs should offer you much more - the speed difference is at best a few percent, if even one percent at all. You won't even notice it. What will you notice though? Double the amount of ram. And trust me, having 16 gigs of ram means you can play games, record, have a hundred tabs open and photoshop at the same time. It's a pretty damn good feeling.

this graphics card has better performance than a AMD right? If you both would be able to get them for the same price, which one would you take?
    Meeeeeh, not really. The newer high-end AMD cards are more powerful, but costlier at the same (~480 euros for the 7970 compared to the ~350 for the gtx 580). The 7870 is more within the 580's price range, but doesn't really come on par with the 580 unless it's overclocked. On the other hand it has the upper hand when it comes to newer tech, including awesome power saving modes - I think it can actually use as little as 2W in desktop mode, meaning it can practically run on passive cooling. And boy would I want that.

SIDENOTE:
    I know about this windows stuff, but she's the one ordering, she needs to see a windows order x)
    Aok

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    @Alen advice on those ram´s...
    Since i got that 4x4 kit it actually boots slower but i am just guessing it needs more time to startup with all the extra hardware :|
    Music historian here to please and displease,learning to teach all you peeps,so stop by the music part of the forum,and ask the question to your needs.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimateon View Post
    Since i got that 4x4 kit it actually boots slower but i am just guessing it needs more time to startup with all the extra hardware :|
    I don't even give a single shit about boottime really, as long as it performs

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    Pretty sure that's your hard disk.
    Get a solid state drive.
    Maybe a 10,000 RPM disk.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Get a solid state drive.
    Maybe a 10,000 RPM disk.
    My problem with ssd's is the capacity. I need to store video files of like 3GB or even more. So a SSD will be full very soon xD

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    My problem with ssd's is the capacity. I need to store video files of like 3GB or even more. So a SSD will be full very soon xD
    That's why you should only use SSD for OS and important installs like your drivers and shit.
    Everything else goes on your secondary drive.
    I have 60GB SSD and 1TB data drive where I put everything on.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Doubt it, unless the "extra hardware" is more than just ram and it requires drivers or something.

Get a solid state drive.
    Maybe a 10,000 RPM disk.
    That's why you should only use SSD for OS and important installs like your drivers and shit.
    Everything else goes on your secondary drive.
    I have 60GB SSD and 1TB data drive where I put everything on.
    If one's main goal is video processing, I don't really see that being the ideal solution, personally I would stick the stuff I process the most on the SSD (in this case the video and stuff).

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Hmm. Okay, one final question

The back panel, does it get delivered with the case?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    Doubt it, unless the "extra hardware" is more than just ram and it requires drivers or something.

If one's main goal is video processing, I don't really see that being the ideal solution, personally I would stick the stuff I process the most on the SSD (in this case the video and stuff).
    Yeah but save the video onto a different drive.

Hmm. Okay, one final question

The back panel, does it get delivered with the case?
    The back panel?
    Pretty sure that comes with you motherboard.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Yeah but save the video onto a different drive.

The back panel?
    Pretty sure that comes with you motherboard.
    Hmm. I know that recording on a external harddrive will greatly drop FPS of the footage itself. I dont know if it works the same with a internal. Anyway, SSD's are not my thing since I don't give a shit about boot up time.

Anyhow,

Just one more question: are you SURE the 16GB RAM Dual channel DDR3-1600's are compatible?

Probably ordering tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12