Thanks

Lightbulb Building a high-end computer for college.

Hi, I used to be a somewhat active member of this forum for many years but I stop when i quit online gaming 2 years ago.

Back to the point, Im going to college this august and major in computer science. I'm planning to build my own computer (dual monitor) for my personal/class needs. My budget is around 800-1000 USD. I need help choosing the best processor/video card/motherboard/ram and other important component similar. What I know right now is i will not settle for anything lower than intel i7 chip for this pc.

I'd love to read all of you guys' suggestion and appreciate for the help.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Alright, I could possibly help you out. Just a few questions, do you need a GPU? and brand you want? Or build it yourself?

Thanks
    You should list what parts you current have. Also what kind of cooling system do you prefer?

Thanks
    i am an expert at this stuff, i can even help you on installing the parts you will get. i am guessing that you want a GAMING pc. because you budget is low for gaming we must keep parts from your previous pc that is hopefully NOT a laptop otherwise we can't use anything. if your pc is older even a day than 2 years old then you have to get for sure a new motherboard and cpu, i am guessing it is, so you will have to buy almost everything and just use the old parts for something of an upgrade.
    you should keep your case and not get a new. below i will include the parts you need to BUILD your pc. after that add any other compatible parts from your old pc.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory + any other ram parts you already have
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card (which is likely incompatible with the video card you laready have)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive + any other HDs you have (dont buy if you already have more than 750 GB storage)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (don't buy if you already have a Blu ray drive which is required for modern PCs)
    CPU cooler: Cooler Master DP6-9EDSA-0L-GP (see if you can use your old instead)
    Power Supply: CoolMax 500W ATX Power Supply (see if you can use your old one)

i know the motherboard is expensive but it's not as much as you cpu needs. i heavily recommend to choose it because it will allow many future upgrades. keep in mind that this build will require upgrades as the money limit you put is not enough. you will need to throw in another 300-500 for upgrade next summer. all the other parts i did not post, are the parts you already have and will not replace. the parts above are about 1000$ depending on the store from which you buy it from. please post the parts of your current pc so i can see what form the above is not needed. i am waiting to hear a response from you.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Nice. Also for $800 you can get am X51. Which is what I have but mine was $1100 it's small and one of the best things for a dorm

Thanks
    unfortunately I do not have any of the component to build this project yet, however, I do have cash. Would you guys suggest that I should look through craiglist and see if I can find specific parts for fraction of the price compare to brand new?

Thanks
    go here to find the cheapest sellers for the build i suggested , search on yahoo ************ and add there the parts i posted. i have a saved build there with your parts but it won't allow me to post links. anyway after you enter the site edit the url and add at the end this /user/f9t0/saved/vFrYcf so you find your build
    by the way - i guess you are a newb at this too- tell me what parts your current pc is made off by using this tool : cpu-z, search on yahoo its free. click on tools then save report as html or txt, i dont mind and post it here, if you currently have a laptop just post you have a laptop and nothing more. if you did not understand, after you buy your new pc, you can use parts of your old, if it is not laptop, to make it even stronger, just post that thing through cpu-z so i know what you can keep from your old pc. also, send me a private message if you can't go to the site the way i posted

Thanks
    the X51 is very good, yes, but if you search around it is cheaper to build by yourself, and you won't have to pay shipping and stuff like this, also he may not be in the US