Thread: Chinese Wars

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Chinese Wars

I'm planning to make a short story about the alternate history of the Taiping Rebellion. But I decided to write a little background about it.

I figured, I would share with you all, what I got so far. ._.

Map I created, the most important countries are named, the ones that are not just.. ignore. :P

Brief History:
    In history, China was unified under one monarchy, the empire expanded to that of modern day China (except for Tibet). However, in history, close calls were found.. and that is where the history can be changed by a simple margin. The history is fictional and based on my creation and design, the idea that China will not be unifed was simply based on the bloodiest conflict in the 18th century: The Taiping Rebellion. The rebellion was unsucessful and Taiping collapse because of Western intervention.. but what if the Western countries didn't do that?

Welcome to China, the year is 1836 and the old Chinese empire is no more, instead, the entire Chinese continent is split up into many factions. Most of the factions are the Chinese warlords, while Eastern China is taken over by Turkic countries. Taiping was never defeated and while it didn't have the main coastline like in history, the country is a thriving nation. Modernized by the United Kingdom and more 'civilized' compare to the other Chinese states, Taiping was a ruling faction, it was easily the top contenter for forming the new Chinese empire.

West of Taiping is Tungning, the small empire controlled a tiny strip of land along the coastline as well as the island of Formosa. To the north, is the former Chinese Empire known as 'Ming'. They have the second most population as well the second largest army. To the east is the nation of Daxi and is mostly mountains and hills. Northeast is Shin and is a large state like Ming and Daxi. The largest and another contender is Manchu which have the largest population centers, largest army, and a vast amount of lands.

Taiping-Tungning War:

Taiping wanted to expand and break the stalemate that each warlords has, the Taiping government mobilized the arm forces and set them on the borders of Tungning. On Feburary 6, 1836, Taiping crossed Tungning borders and started the short Taiping-Tungning War. Taiping invaded the small costal empire with 75,000 men and women. Overwhelming the 35,000 strong Tungning forces. By striking at each sections of the country, Taiping stresses the defense out. The 24th Army of the Taiping National Army met with the 2nd People's Army of Tungning and started the first battle of the conflict The Battle of Wenzhou lasted for only three days. The Taiping forces launched 56,400 troops and the surprised Tung forces could only bring up 12,000 troops. While Wenzhou was a bitter conflict to fight, the Taiping army force the Tungs to retreat. It was a bitter lost for Tung forces, who lost 5,672 men compare to the small lost of 858 of the 24th Army. Meanwhile, the Battle of Zhangzhou was the costly battle for both sides as they fought three times for the control of this area. The First Battle of Zhangzou was fought on Feburary 16, 1836 and the 3rd National Army fought the 1st People's Army. The battle was a huge defeat for the Tung forces who tried in vain to push the Taiping forces out of Zhangzhou. 37,050 Taiping troops fought in the conflict and suffered 3,345 losses. Tung forces took a huge blow which crippled their morale and will to fight. 24,000 Tung fighters tried in vain to fight back the Taiping forces and suffered 7,640 losses. Tung forces from the Battle of Wenzhou and the Battle of Zhangzhou combined forces to try and repelled the occupation of Zhangzou. However, the 16th National Army fought them at Fuzhou and the Tung suffered a crippling defeat at the hand of the Taiping forces. The 16th Army was totaled of 42,000 troops and lost around 4,377 men and women. The 30,000 forces took a heavy blow and lost 13,506 troops.

Taiping was showing its might, the remaining forces from the three battles tried to retreat to Taizhou, but the entire forces was wiped out. No losses was made on the Taiping side, while Tungning forces was almost completely destroyed. On March 17. 1836, a Thun force of an unknown number push between a Taiping's wedge and invaded Taiping for the first time. However, when the 56th Army totally of 30,000 troops, made the Tungning army retreat back to their borders. Getting the remaining forces together from Zhangzhou and Wenzhou, they launched an attack to the Taiping arm forces in Wenzhou to try and push the invaders out. This ended in failure as 7,130 troops was killed out of 12,780. Rather than retreat, the failed combine force took a last stand and was defeated. The remaining force was wiped out. 6,352 troops was killed and Taiping forces took a tiny unknown amount of lost. May 14, Zhangzhou is now fully under Taiping control. Sparse fighting went all over the country, Quanzhou felled to Taiping on March 17. Tungnang forces retreated to Taiwan and on June 11, Fuzhou fell..June 15, Taizhou, June 23, Ningho. August 22, the last mainland was captured, the area of Wenzhou. Augest 24, invasion of Taiwan by Taiping forces. Battle of Taiwan started, a last stand for the Tungning forces, the entire island army was killed off. On September 12, 1836, the Empire of Tungning surrendered and was annexed by the growing Taiping Empire.

Comment?
    Last edited by Mouzie; 04-09-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Interesting historical fiction, Im afraid i am not well versed in the original story so for all I know this is the truth. A few pointers would be, a transition from the rebellion to forming its own empire, also at the time women did not serve, unless of course under disguise, and even then they were few and far between. I do know of some woman warriors and generals from china. but again very few and far b.w. Also it needs to flow a little better, seems just like fact after fact. Perhaps a little slower in pace with more description, you have to make the reader believe that they are there, in that moment of history. Battle tactics, conditions, etc. All in all pretty interesting stuff, and apart from what i mention and some very minor grammar issues, a job well done.

Click Here to Become a MPGH Premium Member by Donating $25 or More.

If anyone claims to be me via MSN/Skype/Email or any other source outside of MPGH private or visitor messages, IT'S NOT ME!
    They are trying to trick or scam you. Report them immediately and PM me here for verification.
    "Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are." — Frank Ocean
    Moderator: 5/2009-10/2009 | GMod: 10/2009-10/2010 | Staff Administrator: 10/2010-Present

Stupid/Pointless Private messages = SPAM, SPAM = BAN.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Interesting historical fiction, Im afraid i am not well versed in the original story so for all I know this is the truth. A few pointers would be, a transition from the rebellion to forming its own empire, also at the time women did not serve, unless of course under disguise, and even then they were few and far between. I do know of some woman warriors and generals from china. but again very few and far b.w. Also it needs to flow a little better, seems just like fact after fact. Perhaps a little slower in pace with more description, you have to make the reader believe that they are there, in that moment of history. Battle tactics, conditions, etc. All in all pretty interesting stuff, and apart from what i mention and some very minor grammar issues, a job well done.
    @Liz
    Taiping Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Taiping arm forces have a good amount of female fighters.
    Last edited by Mouzie; 04-09-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    About 20 million people died jesus....

Click Here to Become a MPGH Premium Member by Donating $25 or More.

If anyone claims to be me via MSN/Skype/Email or any other source outside of MPGH private or visitor messages, IT'S NOT ME!
    They are trying to trick or scam you. Report them immediately and PM me here for verification.
    "Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are." — Frank Ocean
    Moderator: 5/2009-10/2009 | GMod: 10/2009-10/2010 | Staff Administrator: 10/2010-Present

Stupid/Pointless Private messages = SPAM, SPAM = BAN.