Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    nevs666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    515
    Reputation
    71
    Thanks
    35
    My Mood
    Happy

    Rap is not music.

    Definition-The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

    Rap uses no instumints most of the time and when they do it's just one looping beat. The vocals are autotuned BS.

    P.S. I swear to god if you say something about "underground rap" im going to fucking kill myself, DO NOT talk about yellow wolf, DO NOT talk about Jedi mind trick, DO NOT talk about Immortal Technique. They all still suck.
    Last edited by nevs666; 06-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

    -Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

  2. #2
    Jabuuty671's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    21,221
    Reputation
    1468
    Thanks
    4,093
    /fp . You shouldn't judge things until you experience them all
    Opinions won't apply unless you've tasted every meal in the menu


  3. #3
    Saboteur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    29,418
    Reputation
    5235
    Thanks
    7,586
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    rap, same as rock. are both sub-genres of the blues. which is a genre of music.



    VIP Support // May 2011
    CF Minion // January 2012
    Newsforce // August 2012
    Minion+ // March 2013
    Moderator // August 2014
    Former Staff // January 2015
    General Minion // July 2015
    Publicist // December 2015


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Saboteur For This Useful Post:

    [MPGH]Jabuuty671 (06-08-2011)

  5. #4
    Jabuuty671's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    21,221
    Reputation
    1468
    Thanks
    4,093
    "Rap uses no instumints most of the time and when they do it's just one looping beat. The vocals are autotuned BS"
    1) most of the time, yes but why should generalizing the whole genre be in play?
    2) auto-tuned? generalizing again.

    I'll say 'underground' yes i will. (/fp my avatar is an underground hip-hop label).
    discover more sides of a genre and you'll probably find that it may possibly fit your tastes.

    I personally prefer the chill songs like Blue Scholars, Atmosphere, and some Youtube guy named Kero One, the beats similar to Blazo and Nujabes' are great because they're not those 'hardcore' beats... there very calming.


  6. #5
    nevs666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    515
    Reputation
    71
    Thanks
    35
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabuuty671 View Post
    /fp . You shouldn't judge things until you experience them all
    Opinions won't apply unless you've tasted every meal in the menu
    I think i have "tasted" enough of that "music" to make an opinion.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

    -Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

  7. #6
    Jabuuty671's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    21,221
    Reputation
    1468
    Thanks
    4,093
    As you say . and what genre do you find yourself most fond of?


  8. #7
    nevs666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    515
    Reputation
    71
    Thanks
    35
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    rap, same as rock. are both sub-genres of the blues. which is a genre of music.
    All music drives from some sort of origins just because they share them doesn't mean they are good

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabuuty671 View Post
    As you say . and what genre do you find yourself most fond of?
    Heavy metal.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

    -Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

  9. #8
    Jabuuty671's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    21,221
    Reputation
    1468
    Thanks
    4,093
    "good" .to you that is. The world doesn't have to revolve around you.
    This seems more like a "flaming and rage' thread

    Heavy Metal... many talented musicians... very technical too.


  10. #9
    nevs666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    515
    Reputation
    71
    Thanks
    35
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabuuty671 View Post
    "good" .to you that is. The world doesn't have to revolve around you.
    This seems more like a "flaming and rage' thread

    Heavy Metal... many talented musicians... very technical too.
    How is this "flaming and rage"? I put up a definition read it. By definition rap is not music.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

    -Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

  11. #10
    Jabuuty671's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    21,221
    Reputation
    1468
    Thanks
    4,093
    Quote Originally Posted by nevs666 View Post
    How is this "flaming and rage"? I put up a definition read it. By definition rap is not music.
    Actually:
    Definition-The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

    yes, music is an art and science.
    and Rap can be totally separated from hip-hop.

    also.... "beauty" is opinionated. expression too. not everybody has to see through the same viewing glass, or hear through the same speakers . That definition seems to be more of a 'classical' music definition to the practical interpreter. Hip-Hop can apply to that second line.






  12. #11
    nevs666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    515
    Reputation
    71
    Thanks
    35
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabuuty671 View Post

    Actually:
    Definition-The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

    yes, music is an art and science.
    and Rap can be totally separated from hip-hop.

    also.... "beauty" is opinionated. expression too. not everybody has to see through the same viewing glass, or hear through the same speakers . That definition seems to be more of a 'classical' music definition to the practical interpreter. Hip-Hop can apply to that second line.

    I am not going to argue about "beauty" or "expression" because neither of us will win. The fact still remains that rap uses a looping beat and rhyming. You saying that if I had a looping beat and read green eggs and ham I would be a rap star?
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

    -Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

  13. #12
    Jabuuty671's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    21,221
    Reputation
    1468
    Thanks
    4,093
    We don't have to agree, neither of us will win. that is right, and I do agree on that.
    opinions will always clash. A beat doesn't always have to be looped, it can be modified but keep a steady loop for a certain amount of time.. Have you ever heard of rap in dubstep?. Hip-hop can be looked beyond the instruments and into the poetry. there are many great poets that do turn to rappers .


  14. #13
    nevs666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    515
    Reputation
    71
    Thanks
    35
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabuuty671 View Post
    We don't have to agree, neither of us will win. that is right, and I do agree on that.
    opinions will always clash. A beat doesn't always have to be looped, it can be modified but keep a steady loop for a certain amount of time.. Have you ever heard of rap in dubstep?. Hip-hop can be looked beyond the instruments and into the poetry. there are many great poets that do turn to rappers .
    I does not always have to loop yes, but in rap it nearly always loops. Example of a poet turning to rap.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

    -Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

  15. #14
    shadow wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    27
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    3
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Eminem is classed as rap, and he utilises instruments. therefore SOME rap is music