Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky

Ok I'm Listening

If you can prove the existence of a God, I'm listening. I only have a few requests, before you start, first define your god like so:
    "Defintion: God is X"
    X being whatever properties you assume this god has.
    Then if you can try to keep your arguments short, 2-3 paragraphs at most, I would appreciate it.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    u still not believing eh?
    there is only one God tho, he was never born, and he never gave birth as He said in the Qur'an, there like a thousands of evidence prove that he is exist, I'm sure other ppl will tell u about it ^^.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by demo-dash View Post
    u still not believing eh?
    there is only one God tho, he was never born, and he never gave birth as He said in the Qur'an, there like a thousands of evidence prove that he is exist, I'm sure other ppl will tell u about it ^^.
    I'm asking for evidence and reasoned arguments, not assertions. Please bring your A-game or gtfo.

BTW:
    Copy-pasters will be ignored, then mocked, then scolded, then mocked again. Maybe beaten if I'm bored.
    Last edited by Paroxysm; 05-09-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I can see this going downhill................

Not only will any source be discredited, but it will be the same result as if you try to prove love exist.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    No1 can bring a visible or touchable evidence paro, here is the part were it is time 2 use imagination and thinking skills.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by demo-dash View Post
    No1 can bring a visible or touchable evidence paro, here is the part were it is time 2 use imagination and thinking skills.
    Does your God exist? If so there must be some reason you came to the conclusion a God exists, what convinced you? What do you have that would convince me. I can imagine a planet filled with unicorns, ogres, centaurs and leprechauns, but that doesn't mean it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    but it will be the same result as if you try to prove love exist.
    We already know love exists, we have psychology and the cognitive neurosciences to study emotions. We have means by which to investigate emotions, Empire don't pull that "God is love" bs.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    God is God

He exists because the creation of man, animals, and nature couldn't have been a coincidence.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I'm not saying God is love lulz. That would be a bit too far out there even for me.

What i'm saying is that psychology is a fairly new science, in fact its almost less than 100 years, that being said most of it has gone towards the research of human responses or what stimuli produce such responses. Love isn't proven 100% scientifically, so you could argue that it doesn't exist.

Ottawa, Canada. (That's right. You know it)
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lonely
    I'm not saying god exists, but science can not and never will prove how the Big Bang Theory started and what started that. Also, it can't tell us why we are here, but people's "gods" apparently can. God is merely a way for the simple minded or weak to have an excuse for their actions.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddoc View Post
    I'm not saying god exists, but science can not and never will prove how the Big Bang Theory started and what started that. Also, it can't tell us why we are here, but people's "gods" apparently can. God is merely a way for the simple minded or weak to have an excuse for their actions.
    And so the smugness begins.....

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    We can't prove God exist. Just like how we can't prove the exact position of an electron and the exact momentum. If you don't believe in God, good for you, but if do well good for you too. I don't judge others because of their beliefs.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by powpowpow21 View Post
    We can't prove God exist. Just like how we can't prove the exact position of an electron and the exact momentum. If you don't believe in God, good for you, but if do well good for you too. I don't judge others because of their beliefs.
    Pussy .

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama View Post
    God is God

He exists because the creation of man, animals, and nature couldn't have been a coincidence.
    There's no reason why it couldn't be a coincidence, you just have an issue with living in a universe without a universal purpose. Your letting your biases guide your cognition. If your unwilling to even consider the possibility of yourself being wrong then that's the very definition of closed-mindedness. Your a victim of the very thing you purport atheists to be.

Lol "God is God", what a helpful definition.

I'm not saying God is love lulz. That would be a bit too far out there even for me.
    What i'm saying is that psychology is a fairly new science, in fact its almost less than 100 years, that being said most of it has gone towards the research of human responses or what stimuli produce such responses. Love isn't proven 100% scientifically, so you could argue that it doesn't exist.
    1. We've defined a specific emotion that we all can feel, as love. Love exists because we've defined an emotion as love. Let me help illustrate my point, let's say you walk up to an object you've never seen before, you decide to call that object a tragnomrifier, since you've defined something in the universe, it by definition exists. We have studied the chemical processes in the brain that are potential causes of "love". You'd be surprised just how much research has been done on emotions.
    2. "Love isn't proven 100% scientifically, so you could argue that it doesn't exist."
    Science doesn't prove things to a 100%, science exists because we've discovered that nothing can be known with 100% certainty. Science is the tool by which we try to approach that 100% asymptote and science is the most effective tool for discerning reality because it avoids the pit-falls of personal prejudice and arrogance set forth by dogmatic beliefs, nothing is sacred in science.
    Quote Originally Posted by powpowpow21 View Post
    I'm not judging people by their beliefs, I'm asking for reasons why people believe in gods, and why they think I should.
    BTW: The uncertainty principle has very little relevance to this discussion, I understand the analogy your trying to bring up but it's a very poor one. We know electrons exist and we know they move in specific directions, we just can't know both at the same time about a single electron. We don't know whether a god exists so we can't even begin to postulate it's properties.

Final:
    Seriously guys if you have arguments for the existence of deities, bring them, I'm fully aware that most of you guys think gods can't be conclusively proven.
    Last edited by Paroxysm; 05-10-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    your saying love is an object, which makes it an invalid point. Its like proving faith, you can do it and scientifically. But that doesn't make what they percieve to be real, same with love.

I'm all for love being real, but science hasn't proven it to be. They just "know it exist" just like people who "know God exist".

I'd argue with you paroxysm, but since only "scientific" proof is available, its kind of pointless. You also have to realize:

why should we bother? Your obviously a person who won't believe anything proven, or anything we say. I don't have the will to prove a smug atheist wrong, its simply not worth the effort to go against a persons beliefs just so i can say "I'm right".

So prove to me paroxysm, is love real?
    (because basically the argument for this can be linked to the God argument entirely).

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    your saying love is an object, which makes it an invalid point. Its like proving faith, you can do it and scientifically. But that doesn't make what they percieve to be real, same with love.

I'm all for love being real, but science hasn't proven it to be. They just "know it exist" just like people who "know God exist".

I'd argue with you paroxysm, but since only "scientific" proof is available, its kind of pointless. You also have to realize:

why should we bother? Your obviously a person who won't believe anything proven, or anything we say. I don't have the will to prove a smug atheist wrong, its simply not worth the effort to go against a persons beliefs just so i can say "I'm right".

So prove to me paroxysm, is love real?
    (because basically the argument for this can be linked to the God argument entirely).
    Even if you had every answer hed still keep the discussion going. He lives to troll
    He stereotyped the "average" Christian and put words in my mouth based on a two sentence reverse troll response.

Hes a product of http://www.reddit.com/
    Last edited by Obama; 05-11-2010 at 01:20 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast