Poll: Are animals self aware?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    If you look at bottom-of-the-barrel humans, and how they don't show signs of self-awareness... I have a hard time believing that animals are.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post

I view us as animals as well. Compared to other animals, we are just more evolved... much more intelligent.
    I wouldn't say that. According to humanity, we are actually the less intelligent.

We know what not to do, but do it anyway.

If ignorance is bliss then animals would surely be the happiest.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Can't say that all animals are self aware, but there has to be some of them that are.

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311HAD VIRTUAL DETOX

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    no, they are animals not humans.

/case closed

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Some animals are self-aware.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    >Eat meat

>Ease conscience

>Not self aware

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Wiki:

Thus far, there is evidence that bottlenose dolphins, some apes, and elephants may have the capacity to be self-aware. Recent studies from the Goethe University Frankfurt show that magpies may also possess self-awareness. Common speculation suggests that some other animals may be self-aware.

The lines in my Steam are i's

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    According to my dog, yes, dogs are "self aware", they just don't see the need to go on and on about it the way humans do. He said self awareness is wasted on humans. Ever since you humans became self aware, you hairless little monkeys went from swinging in trees throwing poo at each other, to blasting one another with atomic bombs. You all became so fascinated and self involved with your self awareness, you just can't get enough of yourselves, and feel you have to keep advancing, Unlike dogs, who once they achieved self awareness, just said "cool, that kinda neat", and went and chased some squirrels. The only good things to come about from humans gaining self awareness are tennis balls, pizza crust, the tummy rub.

Well this is Scouts point of view. Can't say he is entirely wrong when you think about it. So your dogs blank stare, which you take as a lack of comprehension, is most likely him thinking, "so what monkey boy, make yourself useful and go get me some pizza crust"

Best of luck, have a great day.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Self aware animals

• All great apes:
    • Humans. Humans tend to fail the mirror test until they are about 18 months old, or what psychoanalysts call the "mirror stage".
    • Bonobos
    • Chimpanzees
    • Orangutans
    • Gorillas. Initially, it was thought that gorillas did not pass the test, but there are now several well-documented reports of gorillas (such as Koko passing the test.
    • Bottlenose dolphins
    • Orcas
    • Elephants
    • European Magpies

"I really screwed up this time."
    Jeffrey Dahmer

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    No one's mentioned ants.
    I think ants are self-aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Nismo:3423396
    I don't really think so..

Are babies self aware? Probably not.. I know I wasn't aware that I live on a planet and existed as 'life' and all that.. how could an animal possibly understand that?
    What you were missing during baby time is memory (long-term that is), not self-awareness.
    I have a 3 year-old sister and she memorises names, objects, paths and such. Yet, when she grows up she won't remember jack shit about her baby times.
    TUMBLR

My Full Gallery:
    [x]

My Best Work:
    [x][x][x][x][x][x]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Chickens are intelligent as fuck. They start breeding at the very same day. And know exactly when 21 days are passed...
    “Those who control the past, control the future: who controls the present controls the past” ~ George Orwell

Its me, Dreamgun

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Registration View Post
    According to my dog, yes, dogs are "self aware", they just don't see the need to go on and on about it the way humans do. He said self awareness is wasted on humans. Ever since you humans became self aware, you hairless little monkeys went from swinging in trees throwing poo at each other, to blasting one another with atomic bombs. You all became so fascinated and self involved with your self awareness, you just can't get enough of yourselves, and feel you have to keep advancing, Unlike dogs, who once they achieved self awareness, just said "cool, that kinda neat", and went and chased some squirrels. The only good things to come about from humans gaining self awareness are tennis balls, pizza crust, the tummy rub.

Well this is Scouts point of view. Can't say he is entirely wrong when you think about it. So your dogs blank stare, which you take as a lack of comprehension, is most likely him thinking, "so what monkey boy, make yourself useful and go get me some pizza crust"

Best of luck, have a great day.
    Apparently you have no clue what self awareness is. Self awareness does not denote intelligence. A canine may be intelligent but not self-aware, it will not recognize its reflection to be its own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123