Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    13,518
    Reputation
    1850
    Thanks
    3,161
    My Mood
    Amused

    Annunaki, Ancient genetic engineering.

    Have been looking into Ancient civilizations a lot lately,and was pretty amazed at some of the ancient art left behind. What really interested me were the references to our Galaxy, Sumerian text and art has peaked most of my interest.
    Some people believe that the Sumerians have left us clues to our origins,
    and that we may have come from an ancient race of intelligent life.
    Here is a vid on the subject matter if you want to check it out.
    So what do you guys think? Could this be plausible or do you think it's rubbish?




    Discuss.

  2. #2
    Trophy Wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    51
    Reputation
    58
    Thanks
    14
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Notsureifsrs, but i'll bite.

    Almost all these 'ancient astronaut' beliefs stem from the work of an author named Erich von Däniken who wrote on the subject matter sometime in the 60s. His work was comprised of bad archaeology and his own interpretations of what he believes to be evidence of extraterrestrial activity by ancient civilizations. He's gotten some more air time in recent years since History Channel realized their demographic was single, middle-aged white males going through midlife crisis so a lot of this 'Ancient Astronaut' malarky has picked up steam again.

    One of the more humorous claims of the video was the genetic mutation argument that went something like this:

    1. Great Apes (which includes humans) have 48 chromosomes with the exception of humans, who have 46.
    2. Chromosome 2 is fused, giving us giving us 23 pairs of chromosomes instead of 24.
    3. Therefore, aliens.

    Here's the thing: Yes, our chromosome 2 is the only thing separating us from from the rest of the Great Apes, making our genomes around 99.x% identical. However, to claim that it was somehow aliens that caused this without any evidence to support it, is simply absurd. The only evidence he even put forth was that it couldn't have happened in nature, which is in itself another unsupported claim. Without getting too sciency, mutations and chromosome fusions occur during DNA recombination while in meiosis.

    There are far too many assumptions and presuppositions for me to take this seriously.

  3. #3
    VirtualDUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    In my basement
    Posts
    665
    Reputation
    -172
    Thanks
    20
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    I find it hilariously laughable that you mention
    and that we may have come from an ancient race of intelligent life.
    Are you seriously suggesting that back in time, humans weren't intelligent?
    You think a average Joe from todays society, would be smarter than someone hundreds of years ago, even thousands?

  4. #4
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    13,518
    Reputation
    1850
    Thanks
    3,161
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy Wife View Post
    Notsureifsrs, but i'll bite.

    Almost all these 'ancient astronaut' beliefs stem from the work of an author named Erich von Däniken who wrote on the subject matter sometime in the 60s. His work was comprised of bad archaeology and his own interpretations of what he believes to be evidence of extraterrestrial activity by ancient civilizations. He's gotten some more air time in recent years since History Channel realized their demographic was single, middle-aged white males going through midlife crisis so a lot of this 'Ancient Astronaut' malarky has picked up steam again.

    One of the more humorous claims of the video was the genetic mutation argument that went something like this:

    1. Great Apes (which includes humans) have 48 chromosomes with the exception of humans, who have 46.
    2. Chromosome 2 is fused, giving us giving us 23 pairs of chromosomes instead of 24.
    3. Therefore, aliens.

    Here's the thing: Yes, our chromosome 2 is the only thing separating us from from the rest of the Great Apes, making our genomes around 99.x% identical. However, to claim that it was somehow aliens that caused this without any evidence to support it, is simply absurd. The only evidence he even put forth was that it couldn't have happened in nature, which is in itself another unsupported claim. Without getting too sciency, mutations and chromosome fusions occur during DNA recombination while in meiosis.

    There are far too many assumptions and presuppositions for me to take this seriously.
    Fair enough, but where is the evidence to support that we come from a deity?
    Yet billions of people believe that to be truth of our origins.
    This theory of alien genetic engineering really isn't any more absurd than Christian theology.


    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    I find it hilariously laughable that you mention
    Are you seriously suggesting that back in time, humans weren't intelligent?
    You think a average Joe from todays society, would be smarter than someone hundreds of years ago, even thousands?
    Do you even read? Or do you just skim?
    I never mentioned anything..these are theories that came from other people.
    I also never said that I believed any of it..So fuck off.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 05-30-2011 at 10:38 AM.

  5. #5
    argusomega1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    1,289
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    28
    I believe we were the extra terrestrials and we came to earth from a different planet,it would also explain the fact why we are so keen on leaving this planet to find others.

  6. #6
    VirtualDUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    In my basement
    Posts
    665
    Reputation
    -172
    Thanks
    20
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by argusomega1 View Post
    it would also explain the fact why we are so keen on leaving this planet to find others.
    No it wouldn't?

  7. #7
    argusomega1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    1,289
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    No it wouldn't?
    We never look for are origins in rocks do we,no,we always look to the vast universe

  8. #8
    Trophy Wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    51
    Reputation
    58
    Thanks
    14
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post


    Fair enough, but where is the evidence to support that we come from a deity?
    Yet billions of people believe that to be truth of our origins.
    This theory of alien genetic engineering really isn't any more absurd than Christian theology.
    1. That's.. quite a non-sequitur. I don't believe I proposed such a claim and I'm not how you arrived at that conclusion either.
    2. Billions of people could very well be wrong. This is a run-of-the-mill argumentum ad populum.
    3. I agree, but I am once again stumped as to why you're implying that I'm supporting Christianity or any other religion for that matter.

  9. #9
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    13,518
    Reputation
    1850
    Thanks
    3,161
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy Wife View Post
    1. That's.. quite a non-sequitur. I don't believe I proposed such a claim and I'm not how you arrived at that conclusion either.
    2. Billions of people could very well be wrong. This is a run-of-the-mill argumentum ad populum.
    3. I agree, but I am once again stumped as to why you're implying that I'm supporting Christianity or any other religion for that matter.
    I didn't SAY you proposed the claim..
    Nor did I make any implications that you support a religious sect.
    I was simply using Christian theology as an example, as it's the most followed organized religion.
    The point I was getting at I guess is that there really isn't anything supporting the claims in the bible
    pertaining to our origins , so why are these ideas so widely acceptable? Yet other theories are looked upon as Psycho babble, Pseudoscience, or just straight rubbish?

  10. #10
    Trophy Wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    51
    Reputation
    58
    Thanks
    14
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post


    I didn't SAY you proposed the claim..
    Nor did I make any implications that you support a religious sect.
    I was simply using Christian theology as an example, as it's the most followed organized religion.
    The point I was getting at I guess is that there really isn't anything supporting the claims in the bible
    pertaining to our origins , so why are these ideas so widely acceptable? Yet other theories are looked upon as Psycho babble, Pseudoscience, or just straight rubbish?
    Yeah, I understand your point now. I think its more to do with our accepted culture mostly. Taking the US as an example, Christianity has become so engrained into the culture that it becomes difficult to deny or refute it when it has essentially become a way of life for many people and indeed much of Western society can be described as 'cultural Christian'. It doesn't necessarily mean everyone is a fundamentalist believer, but that a large majority accept Christian-based traditions (such as Christmas, etc) and so perpetuate this ideology. After that, believing a literal interpretation of scripture becomes small potatoes when people have already been slowly molded to accept such propositions anyway. On the other hand, we also mostly view anything with extraterrestrials as pertaining to a fringe sub-culture that should be frowned upon or ignored.

    One proposition has enjoyed a free ride by being early to the party while the latter is too late, so taking it as literal fact is much more difficult to accept. It could also be the fact that, unlike religions, E.T theories and the like usually base their 'doctrine' on science. Well, bad science. When an idea is centered around the notion that it is scientific fact, the refutation of that idea becomes easier if mistakes in their process are discovered or that their process itself was incorrect. If they refuse to budge from their position after proven wrong, then we just come to the consensus that they're just loopy. Religions enjoy using 'science' as a side-dish to compliment the meat and potatoes that is their central beliefs. Take the science away and religion still manages to keep the appeal for their metaphysical claims.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy Wife For This Useful Post:

    [MPGH]Ethereal (05-30-2011)

  12. #11
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    13,518
    Reputation
    1850
    Thanks
    3,161
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy Wife View Post
    Yeah, I understand your point now. I think its more to do with our accepted culture mostly. Taking the US as an example, Christianity has become so engrained into the culture that it becomes difficult to deny or refute it when it has essentially become a way of life for many people and indeed much of Western society can be described as 'cultural Christian'. It doesn't necessarily mean everyone is a fundamentalist believer, but that a large majority accept Christian-based traditions (such as Christmas, etc) and so perpetuate this ideology. After that, believing a literal interpretation of scripture becomes small potatoes when people have already been slowly molded to accept such propositions anyway. On the other hand, we also mostly view anything with extraterrestrials as pertaining to a fringe sub-culture that should be frowned upon or ignored.

    One proposition has enjoyed a free ride by being early to the party while the latter is too late, so taking it as literal fact is much more difficult to accept. It could also be the fact that, unlike religions, E.T theories and the like usually base their 'doctrine' on science. Well, bad science. When an idea is centered around the notion that it is scientific fact, the refutation of that idea becomes easier if mistakes in their process are discovered or that their process itself was incorrect. If they refuse to budge from their position after proven wrong, then we just come to the consensus that they're just loopy. Religions enjoy using 'science' as a side-dish to compliment the meat and potatoes that is their central beliefs. Take the science away and religion still manages to keep the appeal for their metaphysical claims.

    Well said sir, I'm still on the fence as far as what I believe we originate from.
    I try to keep an open mind, but certainly do my research before simply going along with said theory.