Thread: Evolution

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 72 of 72
  1. #61
    Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    california
    Posts
    11,460
    Reputation
    524
    Thanks
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall kiwi View Post
    you should watch the documentary my dad produced and directed
    Whats it called? ill find it on youtube or google

  2. #62
    StagierFall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    In Iraq watching my ass
    Posts
    32
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    1
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post

    Have you taken biology and heard of natural selection? It makes sense compared to being created out of thin air.
    That's not the hard proof I was talking about.

    Being poofed into existence =/= being blown into existence













  3. #63
    Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    california
    Posts
    11,460
    Reputation
    524
    Thanks
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by StagierFall View Post
    That's not the hard proof I was talking about.

    Being poofed into existence =/= being blown into existence
    As i said the big bang is a theory and not all scientists believe in it.
    Besides science proves more and makes more sense.
    Science is based on proof and fact and religion is based on peoples hopes.

  4. #64
    Tall kiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Living in Kiwi land
    Posts
    4,536
    Reputation
    325
    Thanks
    572
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post

    Whats it called? ill find it on youtube or google
    The Voyage That Shook the World
    Last edited by Tall kiwi; 11-20-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    Oh hai der.

  5. #65
    jennajones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    female
    Location
    Ghosts PillowCase.
    Posts
    1,262
    Reputation
    222
    Thanks
    79
    Each View Point is a Theory.
    Why is There a Debate?
    GTFO




  6. #66
    Trophy Wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    51
    Reputation
    58
    Thanks
    14
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by StagierFall View Post
    dont believe in it. Makes no sense that the entire world came into being because of one cell. It's just so impossible. On a side note, Big Bang Theory? First there was nothing then it exploded? WTF?
    Believe? Evolution doesn't require belief. You either accept it or you do not. 'Belief' implies that evolution is subject to someone's personal interpretation of reality and as such its veracity is grounds for speculation, and this is far from being the case. The debate has been over for a while and we're just underlining the facts for people like you now.

    Quote Originally Posted by StagierFall View Post
    Science in general is true, evolutionary sciencetists are not real. There idiots that came up with something to fight religion. Im a christian but I try not to hate on evolution because of that. Really, it doesnt seem right. How did nothing explode? But then we come back to how do we know some dude created the earth in 7 days. Well, that's for everyone else to decide for them selves. I just think evolution is a little crazy. Even before becoming Christian I thought that.
    Science is not simply 'true' or 'false'. Science is a filter by which we study our environment and through that gathered data come to conclusions about our findings. It has no bias. It has no preference. If something doesn't sound nice or make us happy, science won't just make it 'not true' to make us feel better. You simply cannot get any more objective than science. Evolutionary biology is very much real and it's a field of study that is focuses on observing living organisms, how they came to be, and how they live. So please, don't flatter yourself when you say evolutionary biology was just created to 'fight religion'. Science couldn't care less about religion, Jesus, Vishnu, Krishna, Odin, or any other personified false sense of security. Evolution doesn't line up with your creation story? Tough titties! It is what it is and it will not change simply because you don't like it or fail to comprehend high-school level biology.

    Unlike religion, science doesn't work through wishful thinking-- believing something in science isn't true will not make it go away, sorry.

    Quote Originally Posted by jennajones View Post
    Each View Point is a Theory.
    Why is There a Debate?
    Honeybuns, you don't know what a theory is. Do yourself a favor and stop using that word, thanks
    Last edited by Trophy Wife; 11-23-2011 at 12:32 AM.

  7. #67
    Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    california
    Posts
    11,460
    Reputation
    524
    Thanks
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by jennajones View Post
    Each View Point is a Theory.
    Why is There a Debate?
    Saying god created the world isn't a theory

  8. #68
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I think rather "do you believe" it should be "why should i care".

    The theory of it is simple enough for anyone to grasp, the problem is that people tend to relate this with some sort of conflict among religion. While you can do this, its really just fuel for a flame argument.

    Evolution is also still rather new on its origin, but i guess not too much older than the current scientific advancements.

    The main problem is that "why should I care" pops up when i think of evolution. Much like knowing how many bones a velociraptor has, evolution is really just a mindset that _______ exist/came from because of ___________.

    So? Will that change anything in my life. no. So......why do i care? Much like any origins argument, its really just w/e the fuck you wanna believe. As long as you don't go crazy(believe me, BOTH sides do), it really shouldn't matter.


  9. #69
    Trophy Wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    51
    Reputation
    58
    Thanks
    14
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    I think rather "do you believe" it should be "why should i care".

    The theory of it is simple enough for anyone to grasp, the problem is that people tend to relate this with some sort of conflict among religion. While you can do this, its really just fuel for a flame argument.

    Evolution is also still rather new on its origin, but i guess not too much older than the current scientific advancements.

    The main problem is that "why should I care" pops up when i think of evolution. Much like knowing how many bones a velociraptor has, evolution is really just a mindset that _______ exist/came from because of ___________.

    So? Will that change anything in my life. no. So......why do i care? Much like any origins argument, its really just w/e the fuck you wanna believe. As long as you don't go crazy(believe me, BOTH sides do), it really shouldn't matter.
    Anyone is welcome to stew in their own ignorance if they so choose to, however, my own issue with people not understanding evolution is:

    1. Admitting to not understanding evolution all the while denouncing it as false in a public debate setting
    2. Using their misinformation as a means for proving their point, and in the process that incorrect information is passed on to other laymen in the discussion and it because a really terrible game of 'Telephone' from that point forward.

    Anyone can choose to remain willfully ignorant and be perfectly happy about that, but I feel the need to interfere where their own ignorance leaks out to the general public. Furthermore, here in the US, we have many high-level officials who hold this same stance and have have tried multiple times to pass religious-based legislation because of their beliefs. What's more unsettling to me is that they have succeeded more than once.

    There have also been numerous attempts by various Christian groups to have public schools teach 'Intelligent Design' (read: creationism) alongside evolution in science classrooms as if these were two sides of the same coin, which they're not. The state of Texas, being one of the larger states, has the responsibility of setting standards for public school textbooks and what content they should include, but since their Board of Education has a majority of conservative Christians, they tend to push their personal religious and historical agendas onto the books and usually succeed in doing so. I think to ignore the issue by marginalizing it to simply one's own personal preference is incredibly myopic and damaging to encourage it.

    Quote Originally Posted by jennajones
    No,
    The "Theory of Evolution"
    Is An Explanaition
    for the Existance of Life on Earth.
    Religion
    Is also a Theory When used in Context to Life on Earth.
    Thanks.
    No. A theory is understood to be anything that has been empirically proven and verified. You used the word 'theory' as a substitute for something like a 'viewpoint', which it's not. This creates the fallacy of equivocation in which you judge two very different things using an incorrect standard. Evolution has mountains of empirical evidence that has been tested rigorously for many decades. Religion has many books that explain why said religion is true, otherwise known as circular reasoning. This is not empirical evidence and therefore not a theory.
    Last edited by Trophy Wife; 11-25-2011 at 09:34 AM.

  10. #70
    jennajones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    female
    Location
    Ghosts PillowCase.
    Posts
    1,262
    Reputation
    222
    Thanks
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post

    Saying god created the world isn't a theory
    I Don't Believe it is Either -.-.-
    But to Others (Such as the People Who Created the Theory of Evolution)
    Seem to Believe So.
    GTFO




  11. #71
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy Wife View Post
    Anyone is welcome to stew in their own ignorance if they so choose to, however, my own issue with people not understanding evolution is:

    1. Admitting to not understanding evolution all the while denouncing it as false in a public debate setting
    2. Using their misinformation as a means for proving their point, and in the process that incorrect information is passed on to other laymen in the discussion and it because a really terrible game of 'Telephone' from that point forward.

    Anyone can choose to remain willfully ignorant and be perfectly happy about that, but I feel the need to interfere where their own ignorance leaks out to the general public. Furthermore, here in the US, we have many high-level officials who hold this same stance and have have tried multiple times to pass religious-based legislation because of their beliefs. What's more unsettling to me is that they have succeeded more than once.

    There have also been numerous attempts by various Christian groups to have public schools teach 'Intelligent Design' (read: creationism) alongside evolution in science classrooms as if these were two sides of the same coin, which they're not. The state of Texas, being one of the larger states, has the responsibility of setting standards for public school textbooks and what content they should include, but since their Board of Education has a majority of conservative Christians, they tend to push their personal religious and historical agendas onto the books and usually succeed in doing so. I think to ignore the issue by marginalizing it to simply one's own personal preference is incredibly myopic and damaging to encourage it.


    No. A theory is understood to be anything that has been empirically proven and verified. You used the word 'theory' as a substitute for something like a 'viewpoint', which it's not. This creates the fallacy of equivocation in which you judge two very different things using an incorrect standard. Evolution has mountains of empirical evidence that has been tested rigorously for many decades. Religion has many books that explain why said religion is true, otherwise known as circular reasoning. This is not empirical evidence and therefore not a theory.

    Your problem is caring what people think about trivial information.

    Mmmmmkay?


  12. #72
    maxpower439's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    409
    Reputation
    12
    Thanks
    79
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Evolution = rubbish in my beleif
    Life Is Simple , We Complicate It.


Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. I didn't believe in evolution
    By Dave84311 in forum General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 12:54 PM
  2. I didn't believe in evolution video!
    By arunforce in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 02:41 PM
  3. How Evolution Happened
    By arunforce in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 05:01 PM
  4. The Evolution of Dance
    By Chronologix in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 08:25 PM
  5. Evolution vs Creationism
    By Dave84311 in forum Debate Fort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 12:23 AM