Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Logiaqw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Valley of Ashes
    Posts
    96
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    11
    My Mood
    Cynical

    Skyrim, Sandbox games and Existentialism

    Do you think those that enjoy sandbox games such as Skyrim are existentialists? Skyrim is a game that lacks a "good" compelling and deep story. Many appreciate Skyrim for giving them an environment/playground to do whatever they want, originally lacking meaning; the player finds meaning in something without meaning. The enjoyment of the freedom of creating a character with no set roles is also the appreciation of "existence precedes essence".

    What do you guys think. Are sandbox players existentialists?


  2. #2
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I think to go as far as that is a bit much, but yes, one of the best parts about skyrim is the free-roam and the ability to do whatever you want in a more realistic/consistent world than most other video games.

    That and it just looks so goddamn beautiful.


  3. #3
    Xanthochroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Is
    Posts
    360
    Reputation
    97
    Thanks
    51
    Skyrim is indeed one of the games with the most freedom, but I'd stand to disagree on your point on the lack of a solid storyline.

  4. #4
    Logiaqw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Valley of Ashes
    Posts
    96
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    11
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthochroid View Post
    Skyrim is indeed one of the games with the most freedom, but I'd stand to disagree on your point on the lack of a solid storyline.
    I am not the biggest fan of skyrim, but I do really enjoy the elder scrolls lore. However, the lore was established before skyrim and unless you read the books and texts, skyrim doesn't do a good job of absorbing the player into its story. It is really underwhelming when you finish the conflict between the thanes or the different factions; the npc acts as if nothing had happened. To me, skyrim seemed incomplete and unpolished due to the abrupt ending to important quest lines and continuous bugs on both the console and pc versions.


  5. #5
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Logiaqw View Post
    I am not the biggest fan of skyrim, but I do really enjoy the elder scrolls lore. However, the lore was established before skyrim and unless you read the books and texts, skyrim doesn't do a good job of absorbing the player into its story. It is really underwhelming when you finish the conflict between the thanes or the different factions; the npc acts as if nothing had happened. To me, skyrim seemed incomplete and unpolished due to the abrupt ending to important quest lines and continuous bugs on both the console and pc versions.
    :/

    That is like saying Dark Souls didn't have a good story.

    its more about the immersion than the actual "plot". But more or less the thane battle was secondary to the dragons.


  6. #6
    Logiaqw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Valley of Ashes
    Posts
    96
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    11
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post


    :/

    That is like saying Dark Souls didn't have a good story.


    its more about the immersion than the actual "plot". But more or less the thane battle was secondary to the dragons.
    Skyrim and dark/demon souls all have well crafted lore which immerses the player into that particular universe. But, it does not have a strong direct narrative to guide the player; which is the purpose of a story in a game. I agree with you that all those games have strong backstory/lore for immersion, but lacks compelling story to guide and motivate the player. This goes back to the question I posted: are players who enjoy these immersive games that lacks a predetermined destination/goal; who are content on making meaning by their own imagination, existentialists.
    Last edited by Logiaqw; 11-26-2013 at 07:16 PM.


  7. #7
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Shitpost Defense
    Posts
    17,471
    Reputation
    3076
    Thanks
    6,395
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logiaqw View Post
    Skyrim and dark/demon souls all have well crafted lore which immerses the player into that particular universe. But, it does not have a strong direct narrative to guide the player; which is the purpose of a story in a game. I agree with you that all those games have strong backstory/lore for immersion, but lacks compelling story to guide and motivate the player. This goes back to the question I posted: are players who enjoy these immersive games that lacks a predetermined destination/goal; who are content on making meaning by their own imagination, existentialists.
    The only pitfall of your argument is that Skyrim indeed does have a strong storyline, albeit achieved through Sidequests and Faction stories rather than a central plotline. Even at that, I still believe that the Main storyline is strong in its own regard. A better example would be a true Free-Roaming sandbox, such as Grand Theft Auto or Saint's Row (Both of which are severely lacking in all intellectual aspects).
    When the earth is changed into a humid dungeon,
    In which Hope like a bat
    Goes beating the walls with her timid wings
    And knocking her head against the rotten ceiling;
    When the rain stretching out its endless train
    Imitates the bars of a vast prison
    And a silent horde of loathsome spiders
    Comes to spin their webs in the depths of our brains,
    All at once the bells leap with rage
    And hurl a frightful roar at heaven,
    Even as wandering spirits with no country
    Burst into a stubborn, whimpering cry.
    — And without drums or music, long hearses
    Pass by slowly in my soul; Hope, vanquished,
    Weeps, and atrocious, despotic Anguish
    On my bowed skull plants her black flag.

  8. #8
    Sybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    149
    Reputation
    18
    Thanks
    4
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Look...when I met Skyrim and saw the trailer I got goose-bumps.
    I played it like 2 years ago and it is still the best game I have ever played (AC2 the second best). The story was awesome but it was too short but I think they focused more on the free-roaming and the side quests to make you the strongest motherfucker ever.
    So yeah...Skyrim has the most extensive free-roaming,as for my opinion off course.

  9. #9
    Logiaqw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Valley of Ashes
    Posts
    96
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    11
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post

    The only pitfall of your argument is that Skyrim indeed does have a strong storyline, albeit achieved through Sidequests and Faction stories rather than a central plotline. Even at that, I still believe that the Main storyline is strong in its own regard. A better example would be a true Free-Roaming sandbox, such as Grand Theft Auto or Saint's Row (Both of which are severely lacking in all intellectual aspects).
    Well it is all subjective. I could argue that GTA also has a strong story line; especially with the recent release of GTA 5. The reason i brought up the original question is that I did not really enjoy Skyrim and i felt that most of it is just fetching and escort missions without capturing my attention with its story. Other people really enjoyed Skyrim for its pure sandbox aspects.


Similar Threads

  1. [WTS] Personal Steam account with BO2, Skyrim, BIOSHOCK INFINITE and other games
    By gamma268 in forum Selling Accounts/Keys/Items
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-24-2013, 02:20 PM
  2. Dante's Inferno [SICK GAME AND BOOK]
    By GOD in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 09:40 PM
  3. what do you think is the best gun in the game and why...?
    By cube4 in forum Combat Arms Hacks & Cheats
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 09:32 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 10:37 PM