View Poll Results: Is .9 repeated = 1

Voters
4. This poll is closed
  • Yes

    2 50.00%
  • No

    2 50.00%
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Thefurball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    elo hell
    Posts
    168
    Reputation
    42
    Thanks
    176
    My Mood
    Happy

    The Long Lost Debate...

    Forums used to be all over this thing...

    SO .9 repeated, that is, .99999.. for infinity, (or .9~) is exactly equal to 1

    Which means that every single decimal value has two decimal representations of that value.

    Many do not believe this, even after seeing this proof:

    1/3 = .3~

    1/3 * 3 = 1 and .3~ * 3 equals .9~

    Therefore, 1 = .9~

    What are your thoughts?





  2. #2
    Ferris Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    6,706
    Reputation
    409
    Thanks
    846
    My Mood
    Hot
    No, .9~ is not 1. It is an irrational number. On a number line, .9~ would have its own spot, it would not lie on 1. If you multiply a number by .9~ you will not get the same answer as when you multiply a number 1. .9~ is approximately equal to one but they are 2 completely different numbers.

    "“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

  3. #3
    Thefurball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    elo hell
    Posts
    168
    Reputation
    42
    Thanks
    176
    My Mood
    Happy
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but I think you would find this article interesting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
    No, .9~ is not 1. It is an irrational number. On a number line, .9~ would have its own spot, it would not lie on 1. If you multiply a number by .9~ you will not get the same answer as when you multiply a number 1. .9~ is approximately equal to one but they are 2 completely different numbers.





  4. #4
    Ferris Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    6,706
    Reputation
    409
    Thanks
    846
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefurball View Post
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but I think you would find this article interesting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...
    I did, since i'm not well versed in this topic, and I checked out a video as well.


    Personally i believe all these proofs are in fact invalid.

    Also, the same bright female that made that video made another video showing why the reasons she posted are wrong.


    "“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferris Bueller For This Useful Post:

    Thefurball (03-18-2014)

  6. #5
    Thefurball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    elo hell
    Posts
    168
    Reputation
    42
    Thanks
    176
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post


    I did, since i'm not well versed in this topic, and I checked out a video as well

    Also, the same bright female that made that video made another video showing why the reasons she posted are wrong.

    I'm watching the video now and will explain why the disproofs are wrong.

    1. In the first example she had the following equation:

    .2~ = x
    2.2~ = 2x <--- Here is a problem. .2~ * 2 = .4~ OR if adding 2 then it should be x + 2
    2.2~ - x = x
    2=1

    2.

    There are different levels of infinity, all within the same infinity. Example: you own a hotel with an infinite amount of rooms. Then, and infinite amount of people show up. You can provide everyone with a room. However, another infinite amount of people show up, but the hotel is full. To solve the problem, you tell everyone in the hotel to move to an even room. There is then an infinite amount of rooms available, and 2 groups of infinite people can fit in one group of infinite rooms. The same works for .9~

    Also, .0~ with a one on the end (or any value at all) is infinitesimal.. or in other words 0.

    3.

    Wow it's an april fool's joke.. did you just set me up lol





  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Thefurball For This Useful Post:

    Ferris Bueller (03-18-2014)

  8. #6
    Ferris Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    6,706
    Reputation
    409
    Thanks
    846
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefurball View Post
    I'm watching the video now and will explain why the disproofs are wrong.

    1. In the first example she had the following equation:

    .2~ = x
    2.2~ = 2x <--- Here is a problem. .2~ * 2 = .4~ OR if adding 2 then it should be x + 2
    2.2~ - x = x
    2=1

    2.

    There are different levels of infinity, all within the same infinity. Example: you own a hotel with an infinite amount of rooms. Then, and infinite amount of people show up. You can provide everyone with a room. However, another infinite amount of people show up, but the hotel is full. To solve the problem, you tell everyone in the hotel to move to an even room. There is then an infinite amount of rooms available, and 2 groups of infinite people can fit in one group of infinite rooms. The same works for .9~

    Also, .0~ with a one on the end (or any value at all) is infinitesimal.. or in other words 0.

    3.

    Wow it's an april fool's joke.. did you just set me up lol
    Haha yes mate, .9~ does equal one. I mean hey I take the mathematicians word for it.

    "“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferris Bueller For This Useful Post:

    Thefurball (03-18-2014)

  10. #7
    Thefurball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    elo hell
    Posts
    168
    Reputation
    42
    Thanks
    176
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post


    Haha yes mate, .9~ does equal one. I mean hey I take the mathematicians word for it.
    lol thanks. You're pretty cool.

    P.S. check out the reply I just posted on your video game/sports thread lol





  11. #8
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Shitpost Defense
    Posts
    17,471
    Reputation
    3076
    Thanks
    6,394
    My Mood
    Twisted
    ​I used to fight it, but .99999999 technically IS one, even if it seems mathematically contradictory.
    When the earth is changed into a humid dungeon,
    In which Hope like a bat
    Goes beating the walls with her timid wings
    And knocking her head against the rotten ceiling;
    When the rain stretching out its endless train
    Imitates the bars of a vast prison
    And a silent horde of loathsome spiders
    Comes to spin their webs in the depths of our brains,
    All at once the bells leap with rage
    And hurl a frightful roar at heaven,
    Even as wandering spirits with no country
    Burst into a stubborn, whimpering cry.
    — And without drums or music, long hearses
    Pass by slowly in my soul; Hope, vanquished,
    Weeps, and atrocious, despotic Anguish
    On my bowed skull plants her black flag.

  12. #9
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Kind of a pointless argument as it's use in math isn't that great.

    :/


Similar Threads

  1. Google Chrome's long lost twin?
    By matresyoyo in forum General
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 08:59 PM
  2. The great sauce debate
    By Synns in forum General
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 09:47 PM
  3. How to remove the long startup intro...
    By BlackThawt in forum Combat Arms Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 06:33 AM
  4. the connection lost for public hacks for CA
    By underpunch12 in forum Combat Arms Hacks & Cheats
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 09:25 AM
  5. Fuck you faggots with the long signature
    By skip in forum Flaming & Rage
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 12:47 AM