Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    droppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Texas, y'all
    Posts
    705
    Reputation
    55
    Thanks
    926
    My Mood
    Busy
    Hopefully I'm not necrobumping this but...
    I say Moral Relativism
    For example, cannibalistic societies clearly believe that killing another human being is morally acceptable. Otherwise their entire culture would be contradictory. However, obviously murder is heavily frowned upon in a majority of civilization.
    Rather shitty example but I think that it proves by point :P

     


    • Skyflashh: trusted guy. we did a trade and everything went smooth. +1
    • akamushupork: Very smooth trade! Will do again. +1
    • CptLeon: +red. 2 Multiwindow trades, fast and courteous
    • hokko: vouch for droppy! smooth trade
    • 1086339: Sold him a couple of pots, everything went quick and great - Vouched!
    • SkyCamre: Vouch! Very smooth trade +1
    • maat7043: +1 Great Buyer! Went very fast
    • hokko: sold him some potions. fast trading. vouch for droppy!
    • SkyCamre: Vouch! Smooth and fast trader




    Droppiest Mudda Trucka Around since October 5th, 2012
    Donator since March 30th, 2013

  2. #17
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by droppy View Post
    Hopefully I'm not necrobumping this but...
    I say Moral Relativism
    Otherwise their entire culture would be contradictory. \
    :/ society is always hypocritical.

    Murder may be acceptable, but in ethical terms what they are doing is still wrong. Just because they are another group of people, does not mean ethics doesn't apply.


  3. #18
    droppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Texas, y'all
    Posts
    705
    Reputation
    55
    Thanks
    926
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post


    :/ society is always hypocritical.

    Murder may be acceptable, but in ethical terms what they are doing is still wrong. Just because they are another group of people, does not mean ethics doesn't apply.
    But therein lies the problem. Because in relative morality, murder wouldn't be wrong based upon their ethics but obviously it is considered wrong in a majority of the world.

     


    • Skyflashh: trusted guy. we did a trade and everything went smooth. +1
    • akamushupork: Very smooth trade! Will do again. +1
    • CptLeon: +red. 2 Multiwindow trades, fast and courteous
    • hokko: vouch for droppy! smooth trade
    • 1086339: Sold him a couple of pots, everything went quick and great - Vouched!
    • SkyCamre: Vouch! Very smooth trade +1
    • maat7043: +1 Great Buyer! Went very fast
    • hokko: sold him some potions. fast trading. vouch for droppy!
    • SkyCamre: Vouch! Smooth and fast trader




    Droppiest Mudda Trucka Around since October 5th, 2012
    Donator since March 30th, 2013

  4. #19
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by droppy View Post

    But therein lies the problem. Because in relative morality, murder wouldn't be wrong based upon their ethics but obviously it is considered wrong in a majority of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by droppy View Post
    their ethics
    Ethics is not a subject where you just go "oh that's my opinion" and it's untouchable.

    :/

    There is no "their ethics", morality encompasses everyone.
    ----------------------------------------

    You should think of ethics as a science, not an opinion.


  5. #20
    droppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Texas, y'all
    Posts
    705
    Reputation
    55
    Thanks
    926
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

    Ethics is not a subject where you just go "oh that's my opinion" and it's untouchable.

    :/

    There is no "their ethics", morality encompasses everyone.
    ----------------------------------------

    You should think of ethics as a science, not an opinion.
    I disagree. The interpretation of a deed as either good or bad is dependent upon the culture and society that the person is a part of. Morality is a reflection of ethics, therefore ethics relative to the observer

     


    • Skyflashh: trusted guy. we did a trade and everything went smooth. +1
    • akamushupork: Very smooth trade! Will do again. +1
    • CptLeon: +red. 2 Multiwindow trades, fast and courteous
    • hokko: vouch for droppy! smooth trade
    • 1086339: Sold him a couple of pots, everything went quick and great - Vouched!
    • SkyCamre: Vouch! Very smooth trade +1
    • maat7043: +1 Great Buyer! Went very fast
    • hokko: sold him some potions. fast trading. vouch for droppy!
    • SkyCamre: Vouch! Smooth and fast trader




    Droppiest Mudda Trucka Around since October 5th, 2012
    Donator since March 30th, 2013

  6. #21
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by droppy View Post

    I disagree. The interpretation of a deed as either good or bad is dependent upon the culture and society that the person is a part of. Morality is a reflection of ethics, therefore ethics relative to the observer
    You've never taken an ethics class have you?

    Edit: Simple answer: You are mistaking the process ethics takes for an opinion.
    ------------
    Argument:

    Person A murders person B
    -Ethics tells us it's wrong.
    --But what if society is ok with murder?
    ----Still wrong.

    Just because people may accept a morally wrong thing, doesn't change the fact that it is morally wrong.
    -------------------------------

    You need to explain why something is morally good or bad in ethics, not just say "well i think it's wrong". The argument of "because it is accepted by a society" is a very poor one.


    Last edited by Empire; 04-24-2014 at 04:03 PM.


  7. #22
    droppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Texas, y'all
    Posts
    705
    Reputation
    55
    Thanks
    926
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post


    You've never taken an ethics class have you?

    Edit: Simple answer: You are mistaking the process ethics takes for an opinion.
    ------------
    Argument:

    Person A murders person B
    -Ethics tells us it's wrong.
    --But what if society is ok with murder?
    ----Still wrong.

    Just because people may accept a morally wrong thing, doesn't change the fact that it is morally wrong.
    -------------------------------

    You need to explain why something is morally good or bad in ethics, not just say "well i think it's wrong". The argument of "because it is accepted by a society" is a very poor one.


    I actually have taken an ethics class.
    <_< I'll give you this one Empire... I can't think of a rebuttal
    Well played >_>

     


    • Skyflashh: trusted guy. we did a trade and everything went smooth. +1
    • akamushupork: Very smooth trade! Will do again. +1
    • CptLeon: +red. 2 Multiwindow trades, fast and courteous
    • hokko: vouch for droppy! smooth trade
    • 1086339: Sold him a couple of pots, everything went quick and great - Vouched!
    • SkyCamre: Vouch! Very smooth trade +1
    • maat7043: +1 Great Buyer! Went very fast
    • hokko: sold him some potions. fast trading. vouch for droppy!
    • SkyCamre: Vouch! Smooth and fast trader




    Droppiest Mudda Trucka Around since October 5th, 2012
    Donator since March 30th, 2013

  8. #23
    Ferris Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    6,706
    Reputation
    409
    Thanks
    846
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post


    You've never taken an ethics class have you?

    Edit: Simple answer: You are mistaking the process ethics takes for an opinion.
    ------------
    Argument:

    Person A murders person B
    -Ethics tells us it's wrong.
    --But what if society is ok with murder?
    ----Still wrong.

    Just because people may accept a morally wrong thing, doesn't change the fact that it is morally wrong.
    -------------------------------

    You need to explain why something is morally good or bad in ethics, not just say "well i think it's wrong". The argument of "because it is accepted by a society" is a very poor one.


    You're looking at morals from a too tunnel-visioned point of view.

    A better example than the cannibal example would be suicide.

    In most religions and cultures, suicide is unacceptable and extremely frowned upon if not outlawed.

    Does that mean that suicide should is wrong and whoever does it is immoral?

    I'm not claiming anything, just putting that out there.

    "“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

  9. #24
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post


    You're looking at morals from a too tunnel-visioned point of view.

    A better example than the cannibal example would be suicide.

    In most religions and cultures, suicide is unacceptable and extremely frowned upon if not outlawed.

    Does that mean that suicide should is wrong and whoever does it is immoral?

    I'm not claiming anything, just putting that out there.
    You quoted me but didn't read what I posted.....


    Again: Ethics/morality takes the systematic approach to things. Just because some religion/society disapproves does not mean it is wrong or right. This, just like science, is not determined by the beliefs of the majority.

    Another case for belief =/= truth.

    ---------------
    On the case of suicide: Well ethically I think it falls into the category of "self-harm", so it's immoral.

    Depend upon the type of suicide and the circumstances of course, as there are many in the case of suicide.


    Usually suicide is a thing you do by the case, not in-general for ethics because of the complications that can be.
    --------------------------


  10. #25
    The Void Aroma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Gender
    male
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Morals are tangible in thought only. They are human creations. Of course it's relativism!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Ajudem aki na moral
    By Paulo_Nick in forum Brazil Spam
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2013, 10:16 AM
  2. A moral boost
    By ZeroTroubles in forum General
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM
  3. Is morality a biological function?
    By C4Vendetta. in forum Debate Fort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM
  4. libya + Moral question + Rape of nanking
    By radnomguywfq3 in forum General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 03:02 PM
  5. Moral Oral
    By Gourav2122 in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 09:59 PM