Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
  1. #1
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive

    Why do you choose to be an atheist?

    For all those atheist out there.


  2. #2
    Saboteur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    29,383
    Reputation
    5235
    Thanks
    7,571
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    i don't see any reason to believe in god. there's no proof other than old books written by delusional people. plus the technology we have now is nothing compared to what we will have in 100 years. people say science has found nothing, but science is also new. in the sense that only the past 100 years has been a giant breakthrough for technology. i don't see any theory that explains space, black holes and the fact there are millions of other potential planets... plus of course we may not be alone in this universe. there are no limits to what could be out there and i don't think some old nigger sitting on clouds judging what is correct and isn't is plausible. if god really existed, why would he allow people to act the way they do.. why would he let child molesters and cereal killers do be the way they are? why wouldn't he stop all the crime and anger in the world? why wouldn't he show his presence in every day life?
    Last edited by Saboteur; 02-06-2011 at 03:56 AM.



    VIP Support // May 2011
    CF Minion // January 2012
    Newsforce // August 2012
    Minion+ // March 2013
    Moderator // August 2014
    Former Staff // January 2015
    General Minion // July 2015
    Publicist // December 2015


  3. #3
    Paroxysm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts
    4,455
    Reputation
    170
    Thanks
    282
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    No evidence => No Reason to believe.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

  4. #4
    moosicgawd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    C:\user\Josh\Pictures\Portfolio\
    Posts
    3,462
    Reputation
    37
    Thanks
    126
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Jusdontbro.
    The night fades with a breath of sunshine.

  5. #5
    NegroTwinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Turn Around
    Posts
    1,675
    Reputation
    48
    Thanks
    220
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    i don't see any reason to believe in god. there's no proof other than old books written by delusional people. plus the technology we have now is nothing compared to what we will have in 100 years. people say science has found nothing, but science is also new. in the sense that only the past 100 years has been a giant breakthrough for technology. i don't see any theory that explains space, black holes and the fact there are millions of other potential planets... plus of course we may not be alone in this universe. there are no limits to what could be out there and i don't think some old nigger sitting on clouds judging what is correct and isn't is plausible. if god really existed, why would he allow people to act the way they do.. why would he let child molesters and cereal killers do be the way they are? why wouldn't he stop all the crime and anger in the world? why wouldn't he show his presence in every day life?
    Wo
    That was...
    Amazing

  6. #6
    Casavir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Athens,Greece
    Posts
    1,261
    Reputation
    23
    Thanks
    168
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    cereal killers always creep me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armalite42 View Post
    I am the sperm that won
    Quote Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
    Surprisingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    whoever made this thread... you just got owned by Casavir...
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

    50% Spartan,50% Macedonian.100% Greek

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Casavir For This Useful Post:

    Sir Nathan (02-06-2011)

  8. #7
    Nismo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    CA Section
    Posts
    1,294
    Reputation
    93
    Thanks
    141
    My Mood
    In Love
    I would feel weak believing in a higher power, and it would limit my studies in Astronomy..
    Previously Armalite42



  9. #8
    CaT-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    female
    Posts
    7,335
    Reputation
    311
    Thanks
    488
    My Mood
    Amused
    God told me so, trololol



    edit: Thinking of legit answer


    ex-
    ex-x2
    ex-

  10. #9
    Mouzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Saegertown
    Posts
    9,151
    Reputation
    520
    Thanks
    2,036
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    i don't see any reason to believe in god. there's no proof other than old books written by delusional people. plus the technology we have now is nothing compared to what we will have in 100 years. people say science has found nothing, but science is also new. in the sense that only the past 100 years has been a giant breakthrough for technology. i don't see any theory that explains space, black holes and the fact there are millions of other potential planets... plus of course we may not be alone in this universe. there are no limits to what could be out there and i don't think some old nigger sitting on clouds judging what is correct and isn't is plausible. if god really existed, why would he allow people to act the way they do.. why would he let child molesters and cereal killers do be the way they are? why wouldn't he stop all the crime and anger in the world? why wouldn't he show his presence in every day life?
    Problem with your argument is explained, we're all sinners, Earth so to speak is a test of judgement between ourselves. Bad things happened, because that is EVIL not GOOD. God doesn't have control over evil, God can only have control over good. Now, I am not saying that you're wrong, whatever you think is fine with me. But you need to understand a little more clearly of why he doesn't do thing.

    Once again, I don't care if you do or don't, I questions him myself, but the simple thing is that there is a line between you being molested by an evil/sinful person and him.

  11. #10
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    13,518
    Reputation
    1850
    Thanks
    3,160
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouzie View Post
    Problem with your argument is explained, we're all sinners, Earth so to speak is a test of judgement between ourselves. Bad things happened, because that is EVIL not GOOD. God doesn't have control over evil, God can only have control over good. Now, I am not saying that you're wrong, whatever you think is fine with me. But you need to understand a little more clearly of why he doesn't do thing.

    Once again, I don't care if you do or don't, I questions him myself, but the simple thing is that there is a line between you being molested by an evil/sinful person and him.
    God has control over everything dog.
    He could destroy Satan pretty simply if he chose.
    The reason he doesn't is to give humans free will to choose the right path for themselves. To prove their love of God.
    See God already knows the outcome, but we do not.
    If God revealed every aspect of what the future would bring,
    then we would really have no purpose in life because everything would be predestined. It would be like going to the movies and knowing how it ends before it even started. God isn't a cosmic bully that's just gonna play us like a sims game. Because God's nature is good, he allows us to have free will, to make our own choices without intervening. There is no double standard to this. People always say this: "Why does God allow bad things to happen?"
    If he didn't, then that wouldn't be giving us free will.

  12. #11
    barklolbark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    331
    Reputation
    14
    Thanks
    12
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    God has control over everything dog.
    He could destroy Satan pretty simply if he chose.
    The reason he doesn't is to give humans free will to choose the right path for themselves. To prove their love of God.
    See God already knows the outcome, but we do not.
    If God revealed every aspect of what the future would bring,
    then we would really have no purpose in life because everything would be predestined. It would be like going to the movies and knowing how it ends before it even started. God isn't a cosmic bully that's just gonna play us like a sims game. Because God's nature is good, he allows us to have free will, to make our own choices without intervening. There is no double standard to this. People always say this: "Why does God allow bad things to happen?"
    If he didn't, then that wouldn't be giving us free will.
    How is his intervention removing our free will?

    Free Will - the power of making free choices unconstrained by external agencies

    God wouldn't be constraining us, just fixing a mistake he committed.

  13. #12
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    13,518
    Reputation
    1850
    Thanks
    3,160
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by barklolbark View Post
    How is his intervention removing our free will?

    Free Will - the power of making free choices unconstrained by external agencies

    God wouldn't be constraining us, just fixing a mistake he committed.
    ...

    The only intervention he might have is sending Angels for small tasks,
    or maybe Guardianship for someone blessed with accurately continuing his message.
    As far as stopping a random murder or something, then no.
    If he stopped the murder himself, then he would be taking the offenders free will to commit this murder. This is why he allowed Cain to do what he did to his brother, even though Abel loved God and did right in his eyes.


    (Just saying this ahead of time. Let's not derail this thread by turning it into a redundant bicker fest)

  14. #13
    barklolbark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    331
    Reputation
    14
    Thanks
    12
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    ...

    The only intervention he might have is sending Angels for small tasks,
    or maybe Guardianship for someone blessed with accurately continuing his message.
    As far as stopping a random murder or something, then no.
    If he stopped the murder himself, then he would be taking the offenders free will to commit this murder. This is why he allowed Cain to do what he did to his brother, even though Abel loved God and did right in his eyes.


    (Just saying this ahead of time. Let's not derail this thread by turning it into a redundant bicker fest)
    But how would de-polluting the ocean, for example, remove our free will? Or removing excess carbon dioxide for the atmosphere?

  15. #14
    Nismo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    CA Section
    Posts
    1,294
    Reputation
    93
    Thanks
    141
    My Mood
    In Love
    Atheism gives me free will.
    Previously Armalite42



  16. #15
    Critted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    407
    Reputation
    21
    Thanks
    28
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by barklolbark View Post
    But how would de-polluting the ocean, for example, remove our free will? Or removing excess carbon dioxide for the atmosphere?
    Well. In the first place, we were to ones to pollute the ocean. So, if he'd stopped us doing that, he would've removed our free will.

    The excess carbon dioxide is our fault, aswell. Same story, if he'd stopped us, we would've lost our free will.


    We have a free will, and we choose to pollute the ocean. That's clearly not God's fault, but our fault. We have a free will, and a lot of choices. Now, it's up to us to make the right ones.


    ^ Thanks Kyle, I love it! ^

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast