Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65
  1. #31
    CyberGenius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    MPGH
    Posts
    10,434
    Reputation
    345
    Thanks
    2,076
    My Mood
    Amused
    they are assholes

  2. #32
    VirtualDUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    In my basement
    Posts
    665
    Reputation
    -172
    Thanks
    20
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin. View Post


    Sorry i'm not a geek
    SAY WUUUUUUT
    Please stop trolling - this is the debate section for serious stupid/intelligent conversations/debates. Not for people to post shit to increase post counts

  3. #33
    CyberGenius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    MPGH
    Posts
    10,434
    Reputation
    345
    Thanks
    2,076
    My Mood
    Amused
    fuck that church in the ass.

  4. #34
    Muffin.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    female
    Location
    Nou
    Posts
    1,570
    Reputation
    8
    Thanks
    79
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Sam View Post
    fuck that church in the ass.
    LMFAO IRL
    dont you hate those people who come to your door asking for you to support them

  5. #35
    Trophy Wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    51
    Reputation
    58
    Thanks
    14
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    Hey Ethereal(Invisible), Doc(Invisible), Empire(Invisible), or whom ever might be hiding behind your account. You clearly like your mother (The wife of the leader of the baptist church) because she unlike other believers, are possible to contradict.
    Besides, she unlike other believers are 100% doing the shit she is, for media attention. All raids they've done, with their signs and shit, they're obviously to gather media attention because of her mental handicap.
    I am flattered that you might have reason to believe that I'm one of these fine gentlemen, but I am actually a new member to the forum, so I appreciate the warm welcome and I expect my fruit basket to be arriving soon. (Full disclosure: I am actually not acquainted in any way with the aforementioned users)

    While I vehemently disagree with Shirley Phelps, who is not my mother, on all fronts, I don't see why you hold such contempt for her actions. Also, since your greeting to me was accompanied by a little red herring, I'll reiterate my questions: Who are you to judge which Christian sect is and isn't correct? How is your interpretation of the Bible more valid than hers? Is it because yours is more socially acceptable? I bolded them this time in case you accidentally overlooked them on my previous post.

    Of course the WBC is doing everything they do for media attention. Shirley Phelps has indeed said that the more publicity the get, the better for them, because their message can be spread to many more places than without the media. However, this isn't anything new among the religious, and it's especially true among fundamentalist Christians. Off the top of my head, I can recall a few more instances of this happening:

    - Florida pastor threatening to burn Qu'rans to provoke Muslim extremists, which he eventually did
    - The late Jerry Falwell asserting that 9/11 events happened because of homosexuals
    - The late Jerry Falwell asserting that AIDS is God's punishment to homosexuals and societies that tolerate them (esentially the same message as the WBC)
    - Pat Robertson claiming the Haiti quake was due to Haitians making a pact with the devil

    I could continue, but I think you get the point. The latter two are important to note because they're not some fringe elements of the Christian community. They are very mainstream players who have huge followings and spread messages like these on a regular basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin. View Post


    LMFAO IRL
    dont you hate those people who come to your door asking for you to support them
    The people you might be referring to are Mormon missionaries, which is a completely different thing than the WBC. Young Mormons are required to essentially partake in a mission that spreads the Mormon faith, and this is usually done through door-to-door visits to spread their message and pamphlets.

  6. #36
    VirtualDUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    In my basement
    Posts
    665
    Reputation
    -172
    Thanks
    20
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy Wife View Post
    I am flattered that you might have reason to believe that I'm one of these fine gentlemen, but I am actually a new member to the forum, so I appreciate the warm welcome and I expect my fruit basket to be arriving soon. (Full disclosure: I am actually not acquainted in any way with the aforementioned users)

    While I vehemently disagree with Shirley Phelps, who is not my mother, on all fronts, I don't see why you hold such contempt for her actions. Also, since your greeting to me was accompanied by a little red herring, I'll reiterate my questions: Who are you to judge which Christian sect is and isn't correct? How is your interpretation of the Bible more valid than hers? Is it because yours is more socially acceptable? I bolded them this time in case you accidentally overlooked them on my previous post.
    Okay - Black on white (Meaning a one way perspective/thinking) - They are not believers, they are only after attention. I'm catholic, yet i don't disagree with the religious ideas/thinking of Muslims, Jews, Christians.
    If you don't believe or can't understand that thinking - Don't bother replying,
    Invisible.
    Of course the WBC is doing everything they do for media attention. Shirley Phelps has indeed said that the more publicity the get, the better for them, because their message can be spread to many more places than without the media. However, this isn't anything new among the religious, and it's especially true among fundamentalist Christians. Off the top of my head, I can recall a few more instances of this happening:
    Wait wait The bible Quran, and other holy books clearly state that any worshiping of artificial Gods, or general worshiping of any other God than God himself - Is and will always be against the religion, and shall be punished by hell.

    IF however this lady decides to go against that and use the media as a way of spreading her evil messages about a religion that does not exist - Well, let her burn in hell.

    She does NOT represent any REAL religion, nor does any of her followers. She's nothing but a attention whore.
    - Florida pastor threatening to burn Qu'rans to provoke Muslim extremists, which he eventually did
    - The late Jerry Falwell asserting that 9/11 events happened because of homosexuals
    - The late Jerry Falwell asserting that AIDS is God's punishment to homosexuals and societies that tolerate them (esentially the same message as the WBC)
    - Pat Robertson claiming the Haiti quake was due to Haitians making a pact with the devil
    I could continue, but I think you get the point. The latter two are important to note because they're not some fringe elements of the Christian community. They are very mainstream players who have huge followings and spread messages like these on a regular basis.


    The people you might be referring to are Mormon missionaries, which is a completely different thing than the WBC. Young Mormons are required to essentially partake in a mission that spreads the Mormon faith, and this is usually done through door-to-door visits to spread their message and pamphlets.
    I get your point - And let me add that i don't hate other religions, though what she has made or uses to spread her words with, is not religion and never ever will be.[/QUOTE]

  7. #37
    Trophy Wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    51
    Reputation
    58
    Thanks
    14
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    Okay - Black on white (Meaning a one way perspective/thinking) - They are not believers, they are only after attention. I'm catholic, yet i don't disagree with the religious ideas/thinking of Muslims, Jews, Christians.
    If you don't believe or can't understand that thinking - Don't bother replying,
    Invisible.
    This isn't black and white at all. Your assertion that the WBC are not believers is both baseless and without merit. How have you arrived at the conclusion that the WBC are not believers? You're giving me conclusions that I've already acknowledged when I'm asking for the reasoning you took to arrive at said conclusions. They're after attention? What for? Fred Phelps, the head of the WBC, is already a wealthy man and most of the relatives, who are also members of the WBC, are lawyers and they contribute to funding the church. They don't require any other sources for funding.
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    Wait wait The bible Quran, and other holy books clearly state that any worshiping of artificial Gods, or general worshiping of any other God than God himself - Is and will always be against the religion, and shall be punished by hell.

    IF however this lady decides to go against that and use the media as a way of spreading her evil messages about a religion that does not exist - Well, let her burn in hell.
    I don't see how that has to do with any point I made. The WBC is, as the name implies, Baptist, which is a denomination of Christianity, meaning they also worship Jesus of Nazareth. While their personal doctrine might differ from more mainstream versions of Baptism, it isn't as though they're worshipping some different deity.
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    I get your point - And let me add that i don't hate other religions, though what she has made or uses to spread her words with, is not religion and never ever will be.
    To be fair, it isn't entirely their fault. They do not actively ask for the media to follow them, interview them, or give them any of the attention they get. However, should the media decide to pursue them, they will not hesitate to exploit that outlet to promote their cause. In the words of the late Bob Ross, it's just a "happy accident" that they've been able to have all the media attention they get and have effectively gone from some unknown Baptist sect to one of the most hated organizations in the US.

    Edit: Accidentally flubbed one of your quotes, fixed now.
    Last edited by Trophy Wife; 05-24-2011 at 07:07 AM.

  8. #38
    VirtualDUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    In my basement
    Posts
    665
    Reputation
    -172
    Thanks
    20
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy Wife View Post
    This isn't black and white at all. Your assertion that the WBC are not believers is both baseless and without merit. How have you arrived at the conclusion that the WBC are not believers? You're giving me conclusions that I've already acknowledged when I'm asking for the reasoning you took to arrive at said conclusions. They're after attention? What for? Fred Phelps, the head of the WBC, is already a wealthy man and most of the relatives, who are also members of the WBC, are lawyers and they contribute to funding the church. They don't require any other sources for funding.
    The hole idea of being a believer is believing in a God or religion. While you believe in this God - OR religion you follow the path which this God or religion has made possible. By that i mean you follow the rules under all commensurations. WBC however has not followed any parts of the Christian faith. The hole base of their belief has nothing to do with Gods spoken words, NOR Jesus's. Though they claim to follow him and hes son.


    I don't see how that has to do with any point I made. The WBC is, as the name implies, Baptist, which is a denomination of Christianity, meaning they also worship Jesus of Nazareth. While their personal doctrine might differ from more mainstream versions of Baptism, it isn't as though they're worshiping some different deity.
    Yes they may be. Still, if they worship him they should (As a believer) also follow their rules which applies to anyone. However, they have not been doing so. They spread the word of hate, which is black on white (I said it again ) the word of Satan and hes daemons.

    To be fair, it isn't entirely their fault. They do not actively ask for the media to follow them, interview them, or give them any of the attention they get. However, should the media decide to pursue them, they will not hesitate to exploit that outlet to promote their cause. In the words of the late Bob Ross, it's just a "happy accident" that they've been able to have all the media attention they get and have effectively gone from some unknown Baptist sect to one of the most hated organizations in the US.
    They actually DO seek attention. Taking big signs up with words that'll get peoples attention and holding them near roads, conferences, and other places packed with people, indicates what I've been stating all along. They are attention hungry people.

    No where in Religion does it say to gather peoples attention using things that clearly are against the faith. It though says in the bible, to spread the word of the lord, and to tell your neighbor and so forth, about the word of the lord. They also failed to do so.

    The media publicity they have gotten is based on peoples hate towards them. People see them as idiots, and madmen. Obviously, i don't really think she or he (the founder and hes wife) is that stupid, that they would go out on the street and openly admit to being, stupid, and madmen.

  9. #39
    Trophy Wife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    51
    Reputation
    58
    Thanks
    14
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    The hole idea of being a believer is believing in a God or religion. While you believe in this God - OR religion you follow the path which this God or religion has made possible. By that i mean you follow the rules under all commensurations. WBC however has not followed any parts of the Christian faith. The hole base of their belief has nothing to do with Gods spoken words, NOR Jesus's. Though they claim to follow him and hes son.
    Their views on issues are all backed up by their interpretations of scripture. Their entire anti-homosexuality stance is based on Leviticus and Romans, which are readily available for anyone to read. Specifically, Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13 and Romans 1:26, which condemn homosexuality and lay out a death sentence to those who practice it. It's intellectually dishonest to say their views are not Christian or based on the Bible when they clearly are. It may not be the interpretations you know, but it is still an interpretation that is neither right nor wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    Yes they may be. Still, if they worship him they should (As a believer) also follow their rules which applies to anyone. However, they have not been doing so. They spread the word of hate, which is black on white (I said it again ) the word of Satan and hes daemons.
    The God of the Bible isn't always gentle Jesus, meek and mild, and there are numerous instances in which this is shown to be true. The WBC admit they're not looking to win people over to their side. This is a direct quote from Shirley Phelps:

    "You think our job is to win souls to Christ. All we do, by getting in their face and putting these signs in front of them and these plain words, is make what's already in their heart come out of their mouth."

    The problem is that, as I told you before, most moderate religious people pick and choose the things they like in the Bible to justify their views and anything too extreme or negative by today's standards is completely ignored or rationalized away. All the WBC is doing is picking and choosing the parts in the Bible that contain God's hateful nature and using that to justify their views.

    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    They actually DO seek attention. Taking big signs up with words that'll get peoples attention and holding them near roads, conferences, and other places packed with people, indicates what I've been stating all along. They are attention hungry people.

    No where in Religion does it say to gather peoples attention using things that clearly are against the faith. It though says in the bible, to spread the word of the lord, and to tell your neighbor and so forth, about the word of the lord. They also failed to do so.

    The media publicity they have gotten is based on peoples hate towards them. People see them as idiots, and madmen. Obviously, i don't really think she or he (the founder and hes wife) is that stupid, that they would go out on the street and openly admit to being, stupid, and madmen.
    Yes and no. They know they're making a spectacle of themselves which garners the media's attention, meaning they get free publicity. However, my point is that they do not actively go around looking to buy any sort of promotional . They wait until the media comes to them and they usually do so without fail.

    This is exactly the type of attitude they feed upon. They enjoy being reviled and loathed by all these Christians claiming to espouse God's love while spouting off every insult they can think of at the WBC. It seems to be a highly effective strategy from what I can tell. (By the way, Shirley Phelps-Roper is Fred Phelps' daughter, not his wife)

  10. #40
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Trophy wife has a point that you shouldn't judge whether people are actually following the right version of faith and not.(i didn't read ALL of it, you guys wrote paragraphs).

    But the WBC is really just a group of ASSHOLES who try to get attention by doing stupid shit.

    There practice would be fine if they kept it to themselves. I honestly have no reason to be upset at their practice if they would just keep it outside of other people's business. Protesting at FUNERALS(not even specific people) and shit is just stupid.

    These people have no respect for anyone but themselves and honestly I'd rather have them shut down than them to go on being fucking assholes to people who 100% don't deserve it.
    -----------------------
    I hope anon/jester keeps their site down and hacks their email. A human voice can only go so far if you don't have a communications network.
    -----------------
    If you look at pretty much ANY interview with them, they will NOT answer any questions.

    Thank god though, that old guy can only live for so long. I'd give it another 10 years at most till the church is shut down.
    Last edited by Empire; 05-24-2011 at 01:37 PM.


  11. #41
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    female
    Location
    In your meatus
    Posts
    23,560
    Reputation
    2912
    Thanks
    5,336
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    HA HA So, when you sleep are you invisible?
    Duhh. But that also means I can't be on a different account.

  12. #42
    Mouzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Saegertown
    Posts
    9,151
    Reputation
    520
    Thanks
    2,036
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy Wife View Post
    Their views on issues are all backed up by their interpretations of scripture. Their entire anti-homosexuality stance is based on Leviticus and Romans, which are readily available for anyone to read. Specifically, Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13 and Romans 1:26, which condemn homosexuality and lay out a death sentence to those who practice it. It's intellectually dishonest to say their views are not Christian or based on the Bible when they clearly are. It may not be the interpretations you know, but it is still an interpretation that is neither right nor wrong.


    The God of the Bible isn't always gentle Jesus, meek and mild, and there are numerous instances in which this is shown to be true. The WBC admit they're not looking to win people over to their side. This is a direct quote from Shirley Phelps:

    "You think our job is to win souls to Christ. All we do, by getting in their face and putting these signs in front of them and these plain words, is make what's already in their heart come out of their mouth."

    The problem is that, as I told you before, most moderate religious people pick and choose the things they like in the Bible to justify their views and anything too extreme or negative by today's standards is completely ignored or rationalized away. All the WBC is doing is picking and choosing the parts in the Bible that contain God's hateful nature and using that to justify their views.


    Yes and no. They know they're making a spectacle of themselves which garners the media's attention, meaning they get free publicity. However, my point is that they do not actively go around looking to buy any sort of promotional . They wait until the media comes to them and they usually do so without fail.

    This is exactly the type of attitude they feed upon. They enjoy being reviled and loathed by all these Christians claiming to espouse God's love while spouting off every insult they can think of at the WBC. It seems to be a highly effective strategy from what I can tell. (By the way, Shirley Phelps-Roper is Fred Phelps' daughter, not his wife)
    Take me, take more now.

    Finally someone I can debate with that doesn't bring up the Middle East. <<;

  13. #43
    CCrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    414
    Reputation
    20
    Thanks
    16
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Why debate about religion? religion is just a stupid cult created by people too afraid to believe in themselves, anyhow i believe all of you here are atheists as your smartness is stupidly high. actually i dont even know the subject, there is too much for me to read would some1 mind telling me on what to debate?


    Herp-a Derp.

    W.I.F.E

    Willing
    Intelligent
    Female
    Elite-sandvichmaker

  14. #44
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    female
    Location
    In your meatus
    Posts
    23,560
    Reputation
    2912
    Thanks
    5,336
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrow View Post
    Why debate about religion? religion is just a stupid cult created by people too afraid to believe in themselves, anyhow i believe all of you here are atheists as your smartness is stupidly high. actually i dont even know the subject, there is too much for me to read would some1 mind telling me on what to debate?
    Try watching the video.

  15. #45
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrow View Post
    Why debate about religion? religion is just a stupid cult created by people too afraid to believe in themselves, anyhow i believe all of you here are atheists as your smartness is stupidly high. actually i dont even know the subject, there is too much for me to read would some1 mind telling me on what to debate?
    Sadly not everyone has heard the

    "Don't believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you" speech.

    Put piercing the heavens is actually pretty hard.


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast