Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Aorisious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    30
    Reputation
    19
    Thanks
    1
    My Mood
    Sleepy

    Religion Forums: Discussions about Abrahamic Religions

    I'm curious as to why discussions here are mostly limited to the Abrahamic religions. After all, the word "religion" and how it is used in the debate fort section of "religion" should not exclude other religions of the world.

    Other religions that are also pretty dominant in other parts of the world include Daoism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Shintoism.

    Cool facts about each of the religions above:

    - Daoism: They have a weird paper with magical powers that can be placed on the forehead of a deceased person who is still intact and the person will rise and begin jumping. This is done because the area which practices Daoism has a tradition of placing their dead on a mountain. If the deceased was a good person in their life, then the vultures would eat their corpse. The area is known to have bad roads and become mountainous, so carrying the corpses were rather expensive and impractical. Daoists also believe in many different types of Gods, with the Jade Emperor in the center of it all (I'm not sure if its the correct translation but it should be the Jade Emperor).

    - Hinduism: Hinduism is a really old religion, and its still around. There were two types of caste system that existed throughout the history of this religion. They have a type of prayer (to Shiva I believe) that involves placing their whole body against the floor, then rising up again, its and intense exercise. They also worship many gods, but there are people who worship mainly Shiva or Vishnu and their incarnations, as the main powerful god. There was another god in their "trinity" but he was disgraced (Brahma) so very few people worship him now.

    Buddhism: Buddhism has to be one of the more interesting religions, because it began as a middle path between Hinduism and Jainism. There have been a historical debate about Jesus being a Buddhist because their teachings were very similar, and it was not far-fetched to receive things from India in the Roman empire. After all, the Romans did a lot of indirect trading with China (and its split up provinces) until the collapse of the Roman empire. Also remember that Alexander the Great linked up the European world toward Asia Minor and eventually reaching India. The Romans sort of inherited the old Greek world in a sense. But back to interesting facts. Buddhism started out as a religion from India, but it was harmed by the invasion of Timur who spread Islam by the sword. However, Buddhism grew strong in China, and spread out to all of its tribute states (Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Myanmar etc). Though Tibet might have a more original form of Buddhism unaffected by the Chinese cultures of Daoism and Confucianism.

    Sikhism: Sikhism is a religion that was started by a person known as Guru Nanak. The Gurus are sort of like the head figures in the religion back when they still existed. Sikhism is a merge between Hinduism and Islam, and started in India. This is because India is traditionally a Hindu state, the invasion of Islam caused a lot of religious turmoil. Sikhs have a tradition of wearing a nicely decorated ceremonial dagger and turbans. The daggers cause a lot of trouble with western authorities because it is perceived as a weapon, when in reality it only serves as a ceremonial kit. The daggers themselves are likely to be dulled or never used in acts of violence (at least not within the records of mod-western world. I have no citation for this so it could be false).

    Shintoism: Anyone who watches Anime should know what Shintoism is. But in short, this religion is very naturalistic. It is the native religion of Japan, with Amaterasu as its main powerful goddess. The gods and goddesses themselves came from the Izanagi siblings, and it is in the Japanese people's beliefs that their emperor is a pure line descendant from Amaterasu, and the Izanagi siblings, thus making them divine. But anyone who knows a bit of Japan knows that the emperors became obsolete by the time of the Kamakura Shogunate. The Shintoists also believe that inanimate objects of strange stature contain gods within them. That is why some Shinto arcs are placed around big rocks or forests in Japan. During their new years celebration, they also re-enact the sealing of a deity by placing a white rope at their doorstep to not allow a god (I forgot which one) to leave their households. This re-enacts a legend, which to my dismay I have also forgotten about.

    There, have a read about a fraction of interesting facts of other religions outside of the Abrahamic ones that seem so dominate on these forums.

  2. #2
    4chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Führerbunker
    Posts
    1,825
    Reputation
    146
    Thanks
    150
    My Mood
    Amused
    all these Relegions that you post was created by Men.

  3. #3
    RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Over there.
    Posts
    5,547
    Reputation
    1082
    Thanks
    1,412
    My Mood
    Twisted
    We talk a lot about Islam because we're at war with muslim terrorist organizations, and this makes Americans not like them because we lump them all together. Is seems obvious to me as to why, but I don't expect Canadians to know anything, about anything.

    END THE FED

  4. #4
    Aorisious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    30
    Reputation
    19
    Thanks
    1
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you please elaborate what you are trying to get to by stating such a claim?

    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    We talk a lot about Islam because we're at war with muslim terrorist organizations, and this makes Americans not like them because we lump them all together. Is seems obvious to me as to why, but I don't expect Canadians to know anything, about anything.
    I understand where you are coming from. But what has Canadians got to do with this?
    Last edited by Aorisious; 08-01-2011 at 10:07 AM.

  5. #5
    RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Over there.
    Posts
    5,547
    Reputation
    1082
    Thanks
    1,412
    My Mood
    Twisted
    If you don't understand, I'm not surprised. Let me break it down for you.

    America is at war with muslim terrorist organizations.
    People like to lump groups together, so the whole religion ketches animosity.
    That coupled with their own actions makes them a hot topic.

    Do some research. Islam: Making a True Difference in the World - One Body at a Time


    EDIT: You're Canadian. It hasn't anything to do with the subject, but you yourself. Whats so hard to understand?
    Last edited by RJ; 08-01-2011 at 10:12 AM.

    END THE FED

  6. #6
    DonBruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    France...in a old car under the Eiffel Tower
    Posts
    384
    Reputation
    15
    Thanks
    349
    My Mood
    Amused
    Your mood is correct...twisted -.-'

    Generalize much??

    Go visit a prison,youll see alot of non muslims that Kill,rob and all that kind of shit...You cant generalize...Muslim,does not mean bad person,you have bad guys in all religions,races...w/e.

    What you say is just a retarded way of thinking.

    -OffTopic- And its incredible how there is so much info around the internet showing how all this "war against terror" could have been created by the americans themselves...

  7. #7
    RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Over there.
    Posts
    5,547
    Reputation
    1082
    Thanks
    1,412
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBruno View Post
    Your mood is correct...twisted -.-'

    Generalize much??

    Go visit a prison,youll see alot of non muslims that Kill,rob and all that kind of shit...You cant generalize...Muslim,does not mean bad person,you have bad guys in all religions,races...w/e.

    What you say is just a retarded way of thinking.
    What? It's the truth. He asked why Islam was the main subject in the religious section of the debate forum, and I have a correct answer.

    Also, I never said I lump them together, I said people do. Don't start with me:/ Maybe you should take some reading comprehension classes?
    Last edited by RJ; 08-01-2011 at 10:28 AM.

    END THE FED

  8. #8
    Aorisious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    30
    Reputation
    19
    Thanks
    1
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Thanks for the helpful link, I think it'll make good read. But as for the forums discussing strictly the Abrahamic religions, you have not answered my question. I see not all forum-goers are from the United States, so I'm still curious as to why no other religions are discussed (though I do understand that Europe also might perceive a Muslim problem of their own). And remember, Abrahamic religions does not mean Islam, but also Christianity and Judaism. I see a lot of [Islam is bad] or [God does not exist] threads.

    And as for me living in Canada, I'm pretty sure you smartly worded that as an ad hominem to avoid breaking forum rules. But I'm glad that the country I live in is relatively free from natural disasters this year and is not involved too much in a major war. It is a privilege that I cherish and certainly do not take for granted. Unfortunately not everyone is able to take part in such a gift and I am in no position to claim to understand others who have lost friends and family in war or disasters.

  9. #9
    DonBruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    France...in a old car under the Eiffel Tower
    Posts
    384
    Reputation
    15
    Thanks
    349
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Also, I never said I lump them together, I said people do. Don't start with me:/ Maybe you should take some reading comprehension classes?
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    We talk a lot about Islam because we're at war with muslim terrorist organizations, and this makes Americans not like them because we lump them all together. Is seems obvious to me as to why, but I don't expect Canadians to know anything, about anything.

    maybe you should take with me that reading comprehension classes? ^^

  10. #10
    RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Over there.
    Posts
    5,547
    Reputation
    1082
    Thanks
    1,412
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBruno View Post
    maybe you should take with me that reading comprehension classes? ^^
    ...

    END THE FED

  11. #11
    Aorisious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    30
    Reputation
    19
    Thanks
    1
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    The word "we" implies inclusion of the speaker/narrator and at least another individual. In RJ's case, he meant "we" toward other Americans but in the process, incorrectly included himself with the word "we" by its intrinsic definition, and by fact that he himself is at least living in America according to his forum information. I guess in terms of the debate, DonBruno gets one internet. Astute observation good sir.
    Last edited by Aorisious; 08-01-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added a few words for clarity

  12. #12
    RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Over there.
    Posts
    5,547
    Reputation
    1082
    Thanks
    1,412
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Oh yeah, he got me on a technicality. :]

    END THE FED

  13. #13
    Aorisious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    30
    Reputation
    19
    Thanks
    1
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I'm still reading the site that you linked to me. Though I feel like it is a subtle (intentional or unintentional) way to spread hate toward Muslims amongst the less informed of the masses, the arguments and claims on the website are well worded and quite valid. I have always known the Abrahamic religions to be the violent types. But this may also have something to do with the environment in which they were developed in.

  14. #14
    RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Over there.
    Posts
    5,547
    Reputation
    1082
    Thanks
    1,412
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aorisious View Post
    I have always known the Abrahamic religions to be the violent types. But this may also have something to do with the environment in which they were developed in.
    That isn't an excuse.

    END THE FED

  15. #15
    Aorisious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    30
    Reputation
    19
    Thanks
    1
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I don't think its an excuse either, but rather a contributing factor as to why they are more prone to violence, whereas other religions are not.

Similar Threads

  1. Questions and Discussions about ep7
    By Domo in forum Vindictus Help
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 08:33 AM
  2. Discussions about the maintenance this morning. <April, 26>
    By v1zhaixingv1 in forum Vindictus Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 02:36 AM
  3. [Discussion]About modifying lol
    By styg2012 in forum League of Legends Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 12:26 AM
  4. Discussion About Videos.
    By chriscasper in forum CrossFire Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 04:56 AM
  5. So much Spammers.. discuss about it here.
    By MoonLight in forum General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 01:43 PM