Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

A show vs. a sacrement.

Watching "Rev." and i kind of agree with this show.(its actually a great show, and finally a cast of non models).

Churches were a pretty good business model. Its low maintenance, every week you get mandatory money, and you can expand pretty easily with time.

But the problem with that is that the churches compete for members.(as business is all about competition).
    -----------------

There in lies my question: Do you think its ok for churches to put on a "show" instead of worship/prayer to god.
    --------------------------

Because I've seen it firsthand on many occasions. The more "showy" the church is, the bigger it is with more people and more money. The more a church tries to actually read the bible and discuss such in the sermon, the smaller the congregation is.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Don't care what the crazy's do on their own time, as long as it doesn't infringe on my rights I say go for it.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

-Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by nevs666 View Post
    Don't care what the crazy's do on their own time, as long as it doesn't infringe on my rights I say go for it.
    Please do not think yourself above people because you have a different opinion.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    The Church shouldn't be a business. I know it has become that for centuries, but then again I strongly believe it has lost its true cause and purpose. Nowadays, almost everything is about the money.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Please do not think yourself above people because you have a different opinion.
    Did I say I was better then them? No. If people are going to worship a deity that they believe controls everything and can burn you in a lake of fire because he doesn't like what you do, and have 0 evidence of it, then they should expect me to call them crazy.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

-Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Well, back when I was doing the Christian thing I attended a church with about 100 members give or take.
    Most pastors would tell some stories, just to use as a comparison to biblical stories.
    But for the most part it was a lot of breaking down passages and explaining some of the confusing areas to congregation members.
    I see a lot of these televangelist's teaching minimal scripture, and turning it into personal story time,
    putting everything in a "What would Jesus do" situation when really, there are tons more things to learn in the Bible besides just that..
    The other problem with big churches, is that it's hard to tell where your money is going when you give to the church.

At least with the few smaller churches I went to, I could see first hand where A LOT of it went. (Media such as books and DVD's,servers to stream to other countries, and even day care for people with smaller children,etc)
    I also witnessed the last church I was in donate a ton of money to my father who was disabled after an accident a few years back.
    All in all, smaller congregations are better imo. You learn more scripture, especially if you have a good pastor.
    You get to know members of the church, as well as it's pastors on a personal level, and it's easier to tell if there is any kind of corruption going on.