Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 181
  1. #16
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by adriandevera View Post
    The world does have evil and corruption and to it its own nature. To believe in a god is the desire for faith in hopes that things will become better because you are just one individual that can't impact the world as greatly which is where god comes into mind. A higher being to which people look up to for the the given circumstances are far beyond in their favor.

    You can choose to believe in whatever you like.
    In other words not willing to accept reality and turn towards ignorance willfully.


    Which is fine...till it becomes a problem. Which it always does.


  2. #17
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Under your bed, watching you sleep.
    Posts
    24,580
    Reputation
    3317
    Thanks
    3,563
    Quote Originally Posted by adriandevera View Post
    The world does have evil and corruption and to it its own nature. To believe in a god is the desire for faith in hopes that things will become better because you are just one individual that can't impact the world as greatly which is where god comes into mind. A higher being to which people look up to for the the given circumstances are far beyond in their favor.

    You can choose to believe in whatever you like.
    so basically turning your back to whats happening around you and putting your faith into a god that, as far as i know still hasn't done jack shit, will resolve the problem


  3. #18
    ☬Ξη†τσρîζ Ζσ♍βîε δτσηε☬
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Lehsyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,899
    Reputation
    1281
    Thanks
    3,064
    I keep seeing people throw around the word "ignorance", when some of our greatest scientific and innovative thinkers were religious. It's not the belief that makes a person ignorant, it's how they came to their belief. Whether they were told "this is your God", or had actually done incredulous amounts of research before coming to a conclusion to their faith/personalized experiences.

  4. #19
    adriandevera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    92
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    6
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post


    In other words not willing to accept reality and turn towards ignorance willfully.


    Which is fine...till it becomes a problem. Which it always does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

    so basically turning your back to whats happening around you and putting your faith into a god that, as far as i know still hasn't done jack shit, will resolve the problem
    That is the idea. Religion is only there to serve with the purpose to persuade you can become a better individual by attempting ethical practices. It is nothing more, nothing else. I somewhat see it as a Pseudo "sugar" pill where a patient would take a sugar pill with no residing effects and feel better already. Its a psychological thing, this religion. A religious objective is to basically impose an ethical epiphany on an individual.

    Then again I have my own doubts, but as long as it keeps me mentally positive I continue to support the idea of all religions and not just my own. And to that extent I support those that refuse to believe in a god as its come to my own despair in situations.

  5. #20
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    I keep seeing people throw around the word "ignorance", when some of our greatest scientific and innovative thinkers were religious. It's not the belief that makes a person ignorant, it's how they came to their belief. Whether they were told "this is your God", or had actually done incredulous amounts of research before coming to a conclusion to their faith/personalized experiences.
    Most people believe their religion because of culture and their heritage from childhood.

    Having the argument that scientific thinkers were religious is like saying that George washington had slaves or benjamin franklin slept with prostitutes.


    :/ Doesn't exactly prove your point. Some people are willing to accept ignorance, regardless of their scientific knowledge.


    Quote Originally Posted by adriandevera View Post
    That is the idea. Religion is only there to serve with the purpose to persuade you can become a better individual by attempting ethical practices. It is nothing more, nothing else. I somewhat see it as a Pseudo "sugar" pill where a patient would take a sugar pill with no residing effects and feel better already. Its a psychological thing, this religion. A religious objective is to basically impose an ethical epiphany on an individual.

    Then again I have my own doubts, but as long as it keeps me mentally positive I continue to support the idea of all religions and not just my own. And to that extent I support those that refuse to believe in a god as its come to my own despair in situations.
    Kid, I think you don't really know what religion is.

    Most religions have questionable ethics at best, not to mention religion just forgets things like...... slavery. Yeah, one of mankinds biggest sins against one another just "slipped god's mind".

    Religion isn't there for you to become a better man, it's there to provide order to an otherwise orderless group. Sadly that was over a thousand years ago, it's purpose is lacking now.
    -------------------------------------------------

    You can make the excuse that "it's for people to be ethical" but that doesn't give anyone a reason to believe it in modern times.

    #Relevance.
    Last edited by Empire; 02-02-2014 at 05:37 PM.


  6. #21
    adriandevera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    92
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    6
    My Mood
    Amused
    "Kid, I think you don't really know what religion is. " @Empire

    I did state "I have my own doubts". Im not sure why you stated i believed otherwise, "Kid"

  7. #22
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by adriandevera View Post
    "Kid, I think you don't really know what religion is. " @Empire

    I did state "I have my own doubts". Im not sure why you stated i believed otherwise, "Kid"
    I only responded to your silly notion because you said it in a "matter of fact" way.

    Quote Originally Posted by adriandevera View Post
    That is the idea. Religion is only there to serve with the purpose to persuade you can become a better individual by attempting ethical practices. It is nothing more, nothing else. I somewhat see it as a Pseudo "sugar" pill where a patient would take a sugar pill with no residing effects and feel better already. Its a psychological thing, this religion. A religious objective is to basically impose an ethical epiphany on an individual.
    That and religion has horrible ethics, just thought i'd let you know that.


  8. #23
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Shitpost Defense
    Posts
    17,471
    Reputation
    3076
    Thanks
    6,394
    My Mood
    Twisted
    What drives anyone to follow religion?
    Fear, fear is the answer.
    When the earth is changed into a humid dungeon,
    In which Hope like a bat
    Goes beating the walls with her timid wings
    And knocking her head against the rotten ceiling;
    When the rain stretching out its endless train
    Imitates the bars of a vast prison
    And a silent horde of loathsome spiders
    Comes to spin their webs in the depths of our brains,
    All at once the bells leap with rage
    And hurl a frightful roar at heaven,
    Even as wandering spirits with no country
    Burst into a stubborn, whimpering cry.
    — And without drums or music, long hearses
    Pass by slowly in my soul; Hope, vanquished,
    Weeps, and atrocious, despotic Anguish
    On my bowed skull plants her black flag.

  9. #24
    Ferris Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    6,706
    Reputation
    409
    Thanks
    846
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post
    What drives anyone to follow religion?
    Fear, fear is the answer.
    Mainly fear yes.

    But there are a bunch of other things.

    Needing answers, needing a meaning, inheritance, ignorance, mass thought, or just personal belief are all forces that lead people to follow a religion.

    I mean you can't say that Hindus or Buddhist are in it for fear.

    "“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

  10. #25
    adriandevera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    92
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    6
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

    That and religion has horrible ethics, just thought i'd let you know that.
    I agree completely. Religious people pose and poke about as though theyre purists but in reality they are hypocrites too.

  11. #26
    DenialS.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Hemp Land ;)
    Posts
    1,832
    Reputation
    107
    Thanks
    132
    My Mood
    In Love
    Duhhh, he's not real.
    Credits go to Invalid_Username. Thanks bro!




    PotHeads hang here: http://www.mpgh.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=170

  12. #27
    -Lame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    6,783
    Reputation
    263
    Thanks
    658
    My Mood
    Cynical
    A normal life is boring.
    -Eminem

  13. #28
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Under your bed, watching you sleep.
    Posts
    24,580
    Reputation
    3317
    Thanks
    3,563
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lame View Post
    A normal life is boring.
    -Eminem
    define "normal" life


  14. #29
    Slaystation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    here, sadly
    Posts
    6,591
    Reputation
    1282
    Thanks
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

    define "normal" life
    I know I wasn't quoted for this, but I personally believe a "normal life" is something you decide for yourself.




  15. #30
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Under your bed, watching you sleep.
    Posts
    24,580
    Reputation
    3317
    Thanks
    3,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery View Post


    I know I wasn't quoted for this, but I personally believe a "normal life" is something you decide for yourself.
    well he used a quote as an answer so i'm curious what normal means then
    is being religious really considered "normal"?
    IMO its more of an excepted form of psychosis and therefor not "normal"
    if you bring up the argument about there being so many religious people, i'd say ~90% of grew up in a religious family and so they where more or less "forced" into believing what ever their parents and family believed and not really getting a choice to choose whether or not they actually believe in a "god" or not


Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How can you screw up this bad?
    By Kallisti in forum General
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM
  2. How Can you Tell
    By Wax. in forum Combat Arms Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 02:22 AM
  3. how can you get ip banned?
    By xxkingthugxx in forum Combat Arms Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 02:51 AM
  4. How can you super jump or have super speed?
    By wesman17 in forum General Hacking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 07:12 PM
  5. how can you bypass op7 so u dont get banned, do they ip ban?
    By ydocsmada in forum Soldier Front General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 08:01 AM