Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 181
  1. #31
    Slaystation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    here, sadly
    Posts
    6,591
    Reputation
    1282
    Thanks
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

    well he used a quote as an answer so i'm curious what normal means then
    is being religious really considered "normal"?
    IMO its more of an excepted form of psychosis and therefor not "normal"
    if you bring up the argument about there being so many religious people, i'd say ~90% of grew up in a religious family and so they where more or less "forced" into believing what ever their parents and family believed and not really getting a choice to choose whether or not they actually believe in a "god" or not
    In this day and age, Parents do not force kids like they used to. I know my parents used to pound christianity up my ass, and I would not like it. But now, Kids are more free to choose what religion fits best.




  2. #32
    xXwhitepandaXx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Bamboo
    Posts
    725
    Reputation
    66
    Thanks
    52
    My Mood
    Innocent
    "Man has enslaved each other since they invented gods to forgive them for doing it." ~Abraham Lincoln~

    Thats the only reason I can think of why people believe..

  3. #33
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by xXwhitepandaXx View Post
    "Man has enslaved each other since they invented gods to forgive them for doing it." ~Abraham Lincoln~

    Thats the only reason I can think of why people believe..
    Please stop spamming.


  4. #34
    Express.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    College.
    Posts
    2,715
    Reputation
    293
    Thanks
    332
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Go with your heart's desire .
    Member Since: 05-21-2013
    Donator Since: 03-13-2014
    (Credits to @Jov)
     
    Vouches.[36]

    [+3]NotaGMghost- He went first.
    [+2]paparas1398- He went first 2x!
    [+2]ahmedTC- He went first!
    [+3]Silke Vanden Abeele- She went half first.
    [+3]Poxer- I went first 3 times.
    [+1]raow25- I went first.
    [+1]Andyl- I went first. Very trusted!
    [+2]Devil™- I went first,legit!(Maxedout as OMM).
    [+1]Tonylx4- Used OMM.
    [+1]Maxedout- I went first.(Great deal and Great guy.)!
    [+1]Abber- He went first.
    [+2]himekami- Used Maxedout.
    [+1]Heat.- I went first w/o OMM.
    [+2]bannanaman- He went first.(Over 220$ deal)
    [+1]igocham- Used Maxedout.
    [+2]Jeremychubby-Used Busted!
    [+1]jaber006- Went first.
    [+1]silverarc- Went first with a steam key.
    [+1]hidudeshi - Bought a steam key.
    [+1]karlamwood- Refunded the payment 4 times and made a report no reason.
    [+1]Raple's Sheep- !Busted.
    [+1]lol1505- He went first.
    [+1]Flux*- He went first.
    [+1]RobyGenius- He went first.

  5. #35
    glw121212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Friesland!
    Posts
    409
    Reputation
    21
    Thanks
    152
    My Mood
    Twisted
    God is good etc.
    the evil in the world is because of the devil.
    God helps you if you believe in him.
    that's it

    Get on my level.

  6. #36
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Shitpost Defense
    Posts
    17,471
    Reputation
    3076
    Thanks
    6,394
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by glw121212 View Post
    God is good etc.
    the evil in the world is because of the devil.
    God helps you if you believe in him.
    that's it
    So you're saying that god is an infallible entity with every single good ocurrence automatically being attributed to his doing?
    God could be burning us ants with his magnifying glass and you still would embrace him due to your flawed logic.
    So god sent me that penny I found on the street the other day, but he didn't stop the holocaust.
    Do you see how ludicrous that sounds?
    When the earth is changed into a humid dungeon,
    In which Hope like a bat
    Goes beating the walls with her timid wings
    And knocking her head against the rotten ceiling;
    When the rain stretching out its endless train
    Imitates the bars of a vast prison
    And a silent horde of loathsome spiders
    Comes to spin their webs in the depths of our brains,
    All at once the bells leap with rage
    And hurl a frightful roar at heaven,
    Even as wandering spirits with no country
    Burst into a stubborn, whimpering cry.
    — And without drums or music, long hearses
    Pass by slowly in my soul; Hope, vanquished,
    Weeps, and atrocious, despotic Anguish
    On my bowed skull plants her black flag.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aborted For This Useful Post:

    HalfBajan (02-20-2014)

  8. #37
    Ferris Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    6,706
    Reputation
    409
    Thanks
    846
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post

    So you're saying that god is an infallible entity with every single good ocurrence automatically being attributed to his doing?
    God could be burning us ants with his magnifying glass and you still would embrace him due to your flawed logic.
    So god sent me that penny I found on the street the other day, but he didn't stop the holocaust.
    Do you see how ludicrous that sounds?
    Well people need something to project their unfortunate happenings and their fortunate happenings to.

    They also need something to explain that which they see or think they see.

    Which is why us human beings credit things like the creation of existence to a big bang or some supernatural deity.

    It doesn't matter how ludicrous the thought sounds; the only thing that matters is that the thought is there.

    I hate to say it since it's overused but it's just human nature.

    "“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

  9. #38
    Slaystation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    here, sadly
    Posts
    6,591
    Reputation
    1282
    Thanks
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post

    So you're saying that god is an infallible entity with every single good ocurrence automatically being attributed to his doing?
    God could be burning us ants with his magnifying glass and you still would embrace him due to your flawed logic.
    So god sent me that penny I found on the street the other day, but he didn't stop the holocaust.
    Do you see how ludicrous that sounds?
    I see it.

    But seriously, even if people believe in Christianity, do we have to bash them for it? I mean, I get why some follow it; to feel loved, to have smeone to talk to, Hell, just have something that gives HOPE. I used to leave crushed Bible Thumpers in my wake, but I tend to slow down now and think about all of it.

    If it gives you false hope, and it helps, then who gives a shit?




  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slaystation For This Useful Post:

    HalfBajan (02-20-2014),Ferris Bueller (02-14-2014)

  11. #39
    StonedEngine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Germany?
    Posts
    69
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    48
    My Mood
    Amused
    People find comfort in Faith, I go to a Christian school and I have bible class every day. Now im not saying read the bible and it will prove that there is a God because I don't know. Yes I do believe in God but who knows? There are a lot of religions and many people think there are a lot of gods. With everything going on in the world people like to believe that there is a higher power and they take comfort in that because they think something is watching over them and protecting them.

  12. #40
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by StonedEngine View Post
    People find comfort in Faith, I go to a Christian school and I have bible class every day. Now im not saying read the bible and it will prove that there is a God because I don't know. Yes I do believe in God but who knows? There are a lot of religions and many people think there are a lot of gods. With everything going on in the world people like to believe that there is a higher power and they take comfort in that because they think something is watching over them and protecting them.

    Well outside from the basic logic of "if you can't prove it", religion poses such a threat to everyday life it's almost silly to think its for people "in comfort".

    :/


  13. #41
    Ferris Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    6,706
    Reputation
    409
    Thanks
    846
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post



    Well outside from the basic logic of "if you can't prove it", religion poses such a threat to everyday life it's almost silly to think its for people "in comfort".

    :/
    A threat to everyday life?

    Care to elaborate?

    "“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

  14. #42
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Shitpost Defense
    Posts
    17,471
    Reputation
    3076
    Thanks
    6,394
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Johnson View Post


    A threat to everyday life?

    Care to elaborate?
    *Insert suicide bombings, honor killings, 'justified' homicides, violent regimes, and systematic oppression here*
    When the earth is changed into a humid dungeon,
    In which Hope like a bat
    Goes beating the walls with her timid wings
    And knocking her head against the rotten ceiling;
    When the rain stretching out its endless train
    Imitates the bars of a vast prison
    And a silent horde of loathsome spiders
    Comes to spin their webs in the depths of our brains,
    All at once the bells leap with rage
    And hurl a frightful roar at heaven,
    Even as wandering spirits with no country
    Burst into a stubborn, whimpering cry.
    — And without drums or music, long hearses
    Pass by slowly in my soul; Hope, vanquished,
    Weeps, and atrocious, despotic Anguish
    On my bowed skull plants her black flag.

  15. #43
    Ferris Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    6,706
    Reputation
    409
    Thanks
    846
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post

    *Insert suicide bombings, honor killings, 'justified' homicides, violent regimes, and systematic oppression here*
    Well, let's get some numbers shall we?

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Suicide Bombings -

    President Obama: “The Odds of Dying In a Terrorist Attack Are a Lot LOWER than They Are of Dying In a Car Accident”.

    Also in 2011 you were:
    17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack
    12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack
    11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane
    1048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack
    404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack
    87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack
    6 times more likely to die from hot weather than from a terrorist attack

    Now let's look at how many of these terrorist attacks are religion related.



    It's safe to say that Latinos, communists, and a good portion of "others" are not religiously related.

    So I think that sums up the "terrorism" part of it pretty well because even though there are alot of religion related terrorist attacks, they are too small to actually be "a threat to everyday life".

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Honor Killings -

    Lol honor killings? A threat to everyday life in this day of age? They are less of a threat to your average everyday civilized man than tripping on a tree bark and breaking your neck. The number of "honor killings" and "sacrifices" is so little that I don't think it's considered a threat to everyday life. The only place where i believe it would is maybe in umm the Congo Basin? Maybe some satanic tribes here and there.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Justfied homicides -

    Now this one is a little up in the air.

    Here are the homicide rates.



    Now out of the top 10 countries, 5(France, UK, USA, Russia, and Brazil) are fairly non religious. That's 50/50 right there. While correlation is not always causation, it's safe to say that religious caused homicide is not really that much of a threat to everyday life. I say this because most religious countries on this list are also some of the poorest countries. For example, Nigeria is filled with crime(non religious inspired ones), gangs, and just fighting for survival. While there are some religious extremists fighting over there, there are as many extreme religious groups in nigeria as there are gangs. Maybe even less.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Violent Regimes and Systematic Oppression -

    Let's look at some of the most violent regimes over the course of recent history.

    Hitler. His violence wasn't really religiously inspired. He wanted to make germany a superpower and the aryan race a superior one. Notice how I underlined race because hitler's actions were out of racism not religious extremism.

    Stalin. I'm fairly certain Stalin's crimes were not religion based.

    Bashar al-Assad. Again while it might look like it is, this isn't a religious related violent regime. This is just a people rebelling against a regime.

    Idi Amin. His crimes were out of pure dictatorialism( i just made that word up). Nothing religious here.

    What other violent regime is ther? Let's say umm Pol Pot? I mean he was responsible for one of the most if not the most severe genocides in human history. NOPE. Not religious.

    That's as many disgusting "leaders" as i'm going to name.

    As you can see, you need not be afraid. Religious violent regimes won't disrupt your everyday life.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Don't get me wrong, I understand religion has been misused over the course of history and i'm not defending it. But it's safe to say that religion isn't going to be the reason you are going to die.
    Last edited by Martin Johnson; 02-18-2014 at 08:52 PM.

    "“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferris Bueller For This Useful Post:

    Frought (02-28-2014)

  17. #44
    Aborted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Shitpost Defense
    Posts
    17,471
    Reputation
    3076
    Thanks
    6,394
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Johnson View Post


    Well, let's get some numbers shall we?

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Suicide Bombings -

    President Obama: “The Odds of Dying In a Terrorist Attack Are a Lot LOWER than They Are of Dying In a Car Accident”.

    Also in 2011 you were:
    17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack
    12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack
    11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane
    1048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack
    404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack
    87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack
    6 times more likely to die from hot weather than from a terrorist attack

    Now let's look at how many of these terrorist attacks are religion related.



    It's safe to say that Latinos, communists, and a good portion of "others" are not religiously related.

    So I think that sums up the "terrorism" part of it pretty well because even though there are alot of religion related terrorist attacks, they are too small to actually be "a threat to everyday life".

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Honor Killings -

    Lol honor killings? A threat to everyday life in this day of age? They are less of a threat to your average everyday civilized man than tripping on a tree bark and breaking your neck. The number of "honor killings" and "sacrifices" is so little that I don't think it's considered a threat to everyday life. The only place where i believe it would is maybe in umm the Congo Basin? Maybe some satanic tribes here and there.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Justfied homicides -

    Now this one is a little up in the air.

    Here are the homicide rates.



    Now out of the top 10 countries, 5(France, UK, USA, Russia, and Brazil) are fairly non religious. That's 50/50 right there. While correlation is not always causation, it's safe to say that religious caused homicide is not really that much of a threat to everyday life. I say this because most religious countries on this list are also some of the poorest countries. For example, Nigeria is filled with crime(non religious inspired ones), gangs, and just fighting for survival. While there are some religious extremists fighting over there, there are as many extreme religious groups in nigeria as there are gangs. Maybe even less.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Violent Regimes and Systematic Oppression -

    Let's look at some of the most violent regimes over the course of recent history.

    Hitler. His violence wasn't really religiously inspired. He wanted to make germany a superpower and the aryan race a superior one. Notice how I underlined race because hitler's actions were out of racism not religious extremism.

    Stalin. I'm fairly certain Stalin's crimes were not religion based.

    Bashar al-Assad. Again while it might look like it is, this isn't a religious related violent regime. This is just a people rebelling against a regime.

    Idi Amin. His crimes were out of pure dictatorialism( i just made that word up). Nothing religious here.

    What other violent regime is ther? Let's say umm Pol Pot? I mean he was responsible for one of the most if not the most severe genocides in human history. NOPE. Not religious.

    That's as many disgusting "leaders" as i'm going to name.

    As you can see, you need not be afraid. Religious violent regimes won't disrupt your everyday life.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Don't get me wrong, I understand religion has been misused over the course of history and i'm not defending it. But it's safe to say that religion isn't going to be the reason you are going to die.

    The 'odds' of dying are rather fucking irrelevant. By that very logic everyone should be playing Russian Roulette because it's statistically safer than jumping off of a cliff. My point being that apparently you're ok with a religious institution being the root for countless murders just because they're 'less' than other ways to die. You haven't presented a single valid point, and it seems your entire argument is about lessening the reality by comparing the cold numbers to completely irrelevant deathcounts such as Stalin's regime. I don't remember making the argument that Stalin was religously motivated, so nice deflection there. Honestly Martin, that rambling rant was one of the single stupidest things I've ever seen come spewing from your mouth. Nothing but a massive Strawman, and not a single shred of rational thinking.
    When the earth is changed into a humid dungeon,
    In which Hope like a bat
    Goes beating the walls with her timid wings
    And knocking her head against the rotten ceiling;
    When the rain stretching out its endless train
    Imitates the bars of a vast prison
    And a silent horde of loathsome spiders
    Comes to spin their webs in the depths of our brains,
    All at once the bells leap with rage
    And hurl a frightful roar at heaven,
    Even as wandering spirits with no country
    Burst into a stubborn, whimpering cry.
    — And without drums or music, long hearses
    Pass by slowly in my soul; Hope, vanquished,
    Weeps, and atrocious, despotic Anguish
    On my bowed skull plants her black flag.

  18. #45
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,901
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,345
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Johnson View Post


    Now let's look at how many of these terrorist attacks are religion related.



    It's safe to say that Latinos, communists, and a good portion of "others" are not religiously related.

    So I think that sums up the "terrorism" part of it pretty well because even though there are alot of religion related terrorist attacks, they are too small to actually be "a threat to everyday life".
    http://www.mpgh.net/forum/showthread.php?t=496200

    I already did it.

    :/ The picture is very misleading, you should check your sources before you base a point on them.

    Explanation: It's the percentage of terrorist attackins in the us, which of course doesn't tell anyone anything except frequencey a group is labeled with a "terrorist attack" by the law.(in the US).
    Last edited by Empire; 02-19-2014 at 01:01 AM.


Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How can you screw up this bad?
    By Kallisti in forum General
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM
  2. How Can you Tell
    By Wax. in forum Combat Arms Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 02:22 AM
  3. how can you get ip banned?
    By xxkingthugxx in forum Combat Arms Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 02:51 AM
  4. How can you super jump or have super speed?
    By wesman17 in forum General Hacking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 07:12 PM
  5. how can you bypass op7 so u dont get banned, do they ip ban?
    By ydocsmada in forum Soldier Front General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 08:01 AM