Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

[Sin]: The definition of sin [1/4]

So i'm going to start a thread weekly about sin and the things it represents. This will be from the perspective of the abrahamic religions.

Reasons i'm doing this:
    -Sin and the system it entails is the most important thing in the bible. It's the reason Jesus is important, the reason god did what he did and so on.
    -There seems to be a general misconception among the religious and atheist groups alike, so I thought I'd clear some of it up.

Note: This is part 1 out of 4. Please don't try to go deeper than the topic.
    -Definition
    -Punishment
    -Jesus
    -conclusion.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The definition of sin is to "go against or disobey god".

We can see this by how god list the many laws(613) of the bible.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

Now, it's also worth noting that people generally misunderstand sin as an "immoral" act. Sin in the bible does sometimes coincide with morality, but a lot of it has to do with obedience towards god. There are a lot of commandments that will seem utterly benign like "don't eat pork" or "don't get a tattoo", then there are some that are more serious like " do not murder".

Point is, each broken commandment is a sin in God's eyes according to the bible.

It is also a sin go go against god's will, though that is more of a "scenario" occurrence.
    -----------------------------------------

Anyway, that's the definition the bible says. Discuss?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Sounds good so far.

It's also very much the same way in the Quran. There are different names for sin in the quran such as ithm or khatiah, but they all go back to one thing. Don't break God's rules, believe in god, believe in judgement day, etc...

"“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

☬Ξη†τσρîζ Ζσ♍βîε δτσηε☬
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    I use sin out of context all of the time. I tend to use it when people commit actions that inhibit others freedom. I use terms out of definition much too often.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    I use sin out of context all of the time. I tend to use it when people commit actions that inhibit others freedom. I use terms out of definition much too often.
    More or less religion did not limit the definition of "sin" to just what is mentioned within its holy books.

For example, in the Bible it is considered a sin to break the law.

So basically religion left it up to society to end issues gradually such as slavery, child marriage, etc...

"“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post

So basically religion left it up to society to end issues gradually such as slavery, child marriage, etc...
    Actually they didn't. Most religions put laws addressing slavery and how it should be conducted, they did not leave it up to society.

And obviously it would be implied that gradually ending things didn't work out so well.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Actually they didn't. Most religions put laws addressing slavery and how it should be conducted, they did not leave it up to society.

And obviously it would be implied that gradually ending things didn't work out so well.
    The issue with this reasoning is due to the religion, since not all religion is the same, which means not all them did the same to what you just said.
    But you are right on some points as religion is just a set of principles, morals, ethics, and rules set up to lead one's life.

Another thing is that not all religion believe in sin, but in Karma.
    Last edited by αяgуяσѕ; 05-03-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Valid keys, he gave me one himself.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

sheeeet nvm you're right.

I was Martin Johnson

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DR3VO View Post
    The issue with this reasoning is due to the religion, since not all religion is the same, which means not all them did the same to what you just said.
    But you are right on some points as religion is just a set of principles, morals, ethics, and rules set up to lead one's life.

Another thing is that not all religion believe in sin, but in Karma.
    Well I'm talking about the abrahamic religions.(as stated in the opening post.)
    As for ethics/morals, I'm going to get to that in the next thread.

And yes other religions have more of a belief in karma than sin. Buddhism/Hinduism/Shinto/Taoism being the big ones. But that's another topic entirely.

Thanks
    Christians believe that the Israelites were given certain commands (those 613 you mentioned earlier) as a way to show their obedience to God as their chosen people. However, Jesus was the fulfillment of God's covenant and thus did away with those commands. Now most of the commands that remain are based on Natural Law and New Testament biblical teachings.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by razer14 View Post
    Christians believe that the Israelites were given certain commands (those 613 you mentioned earlier) as a way to show their obedience to God as their chosen people. However, Jesus was the fulfillment of God's covenant and thus did away with those commands. Now most of the commands that remain are based on Natural Law and New Testament biblical teachings.
    I'm sorry, can you point me to the verse where all the prior commandments are irrelevant but a select few are left.

I tend to miss that one.
    -----

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_by_consensus
    Last edited by Empire; 05-28-2014 at 07:53 PM.