Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Jake345's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    13
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    2

    Have you ever thought, that you are the only real person alive?

    Hey,

    I'd like to start a discusion, I thought it would be best fitting in the religion subforum.

    Sometimes I think that I am the only real person out there and the rest of the people is just here because I made them up.
    Sounds really strange, but I would like to know if someone could relate to this haha!

    Cheers,

    Jake

  2. #2
    Ferris Bueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    6,705
    Reputation
    409
    Thanks
    846
    My Mood
    Hot
    Yeah we all have these thoughts. It's called solipsism.
    You can't really prove it wrong either. I'm pretty sure that bringing it up in a debate would be a fallacy so.

    "“Religions are, by definition, metaphors, after all: God is a dream, a hope, a woman, an ironist, a father, a city, a house of many rooms, a watchmaker who left his prize chronometer in the desert, someone who loves you—even, perhaps, against all evidence, a celestial being whose only interest is to make sure your football team, army, business, or marriage thrives, prospers, and triumphs over all opposition. Religions are places to stand and look and act, vantage points from which to view the world. So none of this is happening. Such things could not occur. Never a word of it is literally true.” .”
    I was Martin Johnson

  3. #3
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,896
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,346
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
    Yeah we all have these thoughts. It's called solipsism.
    You can't really prove it wrong either. I'm pretty sure that bringing it up in a debate would be a fallacy so.
    It's not really a fallacy, it's more of a joke.


    Solipsism isn't for debates, it's for mental masturbation.


    And yes, you can't "prove it wrong" because it's basically plugging your ears and going "you're a figment of my imagination" lol.

    Anyone in a debate pretty much loses the moment they bring out solipsism.


  4. #4
    Fidel Alejandro Castro Ru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    89
    Reputation
    31
    Thanks
    13
    Only in the land of the imperialists would someone come up with something so conceited...

  5. #5
    Kongou.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    1,364
    Reputation
    85
    Thanks
    201
    My Mood
    Bored
    I've come across an anime character with almost exactly the same ideology as this. His name is Felix Walken also known as the "Rail Tracer" from Baccano!
    Because he's immortal he believes that basically he can do whatever he wants and that his imagination is what created people.

    His ideology and his famous line go hand in hand.

  6. #6
    Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    .Alwayz.
    Posts
    19,896
    Reputation
    659
    Thanks
    1,346
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Alejandro Castro Ru View Post
    Only in the land of the imperialists would someone come up with something so conceited...
    I am constantly dissapointed in the priveledged of this world. They always resort to these silly ideas and don't help out there less privileged brethren.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tatenashi Sarashiki. View Post
    I've come across an anime character with almost exactly the same ideology as this. His name is Felix Walken also known as the "Rail Tracer" from Baccano!
    Because he's immortal he believes that basically he can do whatever he wants and that his imagination is what created people.
    Uh no, you didn't.

    "Survival of the fittest" is not a solipsist line. The only solipsist in anime are extremely warped, Felix is not among them.


  7. #7
    Psychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    @root
    Posts
    11,001
    Reputation
    3051
    Thanks
    5,156
    My Mood
    Inspired
    not sure why this is in religion.

    This is Solipsism, a simple philosophical thought that you are the only person who exists and everyone around you only 'exists' because you exist, they're mearly a figment of your imagination. There's no argument against it as it's essentially a question of everything around you. "I think therefore I am" was said by Descarte and that's the underlying spectrum of the belief, I'd say. If I think, I am, but how do I know anyone else thinks? You can't prove to me that you think. Everything you say is registered by my subconscious and is otherwise just me talking to myself as you are a figment of my imagination therefore a piece of myself. It's a very concrete philosophical thought, I studied it intently, however many people stop there and don't dare to venture to other philosophies or rather actually understand Solipsism, they just recycle shit on the internet.

    God of Marketplace









    Moderator Since 09.01.2016
    Minion+ Since 07.22.2016

    Marketplace Minion Since 06.09.2016
    Trove Minion Since 06.06.2016
    Middleman Since 04.21.2016
    Social Engineering Minion Since 02.03.2016
    News FO Freelancer From 11.08.2015 to 07.23.2016
    News FO Head Editor From 08.23.2015 to 11.08.2015
    News FO Head Editor From 07.19.2012 to 08.11.2014
    MPGH News and News FO Founder
    Programming Minion From Unknown to 04.23.2013
    Minecraft Minion From 09.19.2012 to 04.23.2013
    Member Since 05.13.2012



  8. #8
    Fidel Alejandro Castro Ru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    89
    Reputation
    31
    Thanks
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatenashi Sarashiki. View Post
    I've come across an anime character with almost exactly the same ideology as this. His name is Felix Walken also known as the "Rail Tracer" from Baccano!
    Because he's immortal he believes that basically he can do whatever he wants and that his imagination is what created people.

    His ideology and his famous line go hand in hand.
    fuckin weeaboo

  9. #9
    Kongou.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    1,364
    Reputation
    85
    Thanks
    201
    My Mood
    Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Alejandro Castro Ru View Post
    fuckin weeaboo
    Sue me for being a weeaboo

  10. #10
    GerrysamHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    male
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    1,074
    Reputation
    52
    Thanks
    386
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    There is no way to prove that anything is real or that you are alive, we could be a program on a computer, or a thought in a being's mind. However, I think that we are all individuals we are all alive, we are all existence.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

  11. #11
    Confluency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    1,210
    Reputation
    80
    Thanks
    223
    My Mood
    Amused
    I personally believe that Solipsism is just another way of thinking that your the center of the universe. Pretty naive if you ask me.
    FOR SOME REASON SOMEONE IS IMPERSONATING ME, DO NOT DO ANY TRADES WITH SOME CLAIMING TO BE ME UNLESS YOU PM ME AND I CONFIRM

  12. #12
    spdgear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    78
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Nah I always reinforce the Idea that im not the center of the world and I know life is always happening with or without me.

  13. #13
    AndyDuhAwesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    39
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    1
    This is a thought I have often, when I'm alone and thinking about my life. thinking about my regrets and my achievements.. then I get this really weird thought that I could be the only person that actually exists.

  14. #14
    Jullek523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    86
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    7
    My Mood
    Amazed
    When I was young I had that kind of thoughts but no more. Maybe I just don't have enough time to thinks things like that

Similar Threads

  1. Have you ever thought about it?
    By Snake in forum General
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 02:11 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM
  3. have it ever happened to you when...
    By Emma Watson in forum General
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 10:04 AM
  4. Have you ever thought?
    By Sid in forum Combat Arms Coding Help & Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 07:01 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 10:36 AM