Thanks

Charlotte - Review

First time review. I don't typically review, but it's something new and I'm trying to procrastinate my studying.

I attempt my best at avoiding spoilers, because Charlotte is a rather spoiler-easy show, so to say.

Genre(s): School, super power (Great start thus far)
    Synopsis: Yuu Otosaka, a high-school student, joins the student council full of people with powers different than his own.

The Story:
    Taken straight from the title, there is a meteor called Charlotte which gave every kid that hasn't hit puberty yet a unique super power, all at different ages but mostly in high-school. Because society is twisted, there is also an organization that chases after these kids, and wish to exploit their powers. Although they're not given a name, they're the main focus later on.

Character Development: The main character was the main focus of character development. The side characters throughout the series got a small amount of attention, but none on the same level as Yuu. The first episode displays him as a trickster, abusing his power for no good and general immature things. As the story progresses, we see him use his power for bad, and eventually for good. They display it relatively well for 13 episodes, and I think given more time they could do much better.

The Good: As a high-school drama, you would expect it to be very cheap and standard. The one thing I noticed was that the drama in this series is taken rather serious, and I've never seen a character go through such an emotional change, to where he almost did cocaine in an alley. Had this been more than 13 episodes, I think this could have been made a huge factor in rating.

The Bad: It's only 13 episodes. This series seriously needed to be two seasons with each season at least 24 episodes. They had so much story to expand on, and the final episode could have been a single series itself. After the first episode, the pace is also slowed down dramatically. Yuu goes through emotional trauma for half the series and after a single episode he's back on his feet kicking and fighting. To the viewer, this is viewed rather sudden.

They had time travel, and most time travel introduced in anime when it's that late in the game is extremely done poorly, and sure enough, it was.

Animation:
    I'd say the animation was decent. P.A works is typically hit or miss, but they handled a lot of the scenes nicely. It has bright colors when needed and they avoid the use of flairs or lenses constantly to depict this. There isn't a whole lot of fighting, so most of it is still imaging. The characters emotions are also very well done. Although the budget isn't constantly amazing, during the key scenes that matter the most you get more than the average show can produce.

Soundtrack:
    My favorite thing to critique. I have the first and second OP on my phone, and listen to them daily. They're heart warming songs that when listened to manage to reel you into the exact scene they're played at. Another thing they do is introduce our second main character, Nao Tomori, and give us a cute episode of Yuu and her going to visit a band named Zhiend. Once again, this song is very relaxing and I listen to it when studying or doing homework. It starts mellow and eventually goes up-beat, but not to an annoyance level of distraction.

Characters:
    I'll only be covering the main characters, as most of the side ones are introduced and forgotten or left alone after they've done their job.

Yu Otosaka: A high-school boy who uses his mysterious power negatively, cheating on tests and looking at girls underneath their clothing. However, this changes rather quickly. He's seemingly arrogant and self-centered at the start, but after learning about the dangerous aspect of his and others powers, and also seeing what happens when you're in the hands of that organization(they're not given a name, if I re-call) he begins to showcase more care for people. I wouldn't call him a typical anime character, but he's most certainly not unique. The struggles he went through are more than enough to justify what his outbursts, but at the same time he's smart enough to reflect back on that and change for the better.

Nao Tomori: One of the main reasons I continued watching this series. She is the idol of the series, and I couldn't help but notice how much of an important role she plays now that I write this. Constantly saving our main character Yu, she has an emotional past and only wants to do right in the world. She doesn't show much love or care for people, but rather concern and safety. This seems to change over time as she is with Yu more, but avoiding spoilers, it's at least for the better.

Jojiro Takajo: I don't remember this guy doing much other than trying to have a comedy effect. His ability is rather clumsy and dangerous, but I suppose he is there for our characters as a support. Whenever someone is down he always attempts to improve the mood and change the atmosphere.

Yusa Nishimori: Fucking annoying. Useless ability, and nothing more than an [insert moeblob]. The show could do better without her.

Ayumi Otosaka: The token loli. She is a major factor for Yu's personality change, and I can't go much further into that without spoiling. At the very least, know that her pizza sauce will make you puke, and she is rather energetic and cheerful, which is the complete opposite of most characters in the show.

Conclusion:
    I wouldn't say this is the worst series to have aired in its season. However, I expected a lot more. I feel like Charlotte could have easily been AoTS if it had been given more time and a proper cast. Jun Maeda practically used this as advertisement for the new VN adaptation, and I think that's a major let down. The ending made me tear up, and I wish we would get more other than the OVA.

The ending:

Yuu in his amnesia state after taking on all those powers was a very obvious thing. However, Nao crying at the fact he didn't remember her being his lover? My fucking heart was done. Something like that is a very emotional topic and seeing her cry, honestly, made me cry. I know the entire series was an over-all let down, but I couldn't hold back. Nao wasn't supposed to feel sad like that She's too cheerful and should be happy. Why, Jun, why must you do that?

5/10.

If you wan't to watch it for what it is and enjoy the ups and downs of emotion, go for it. The OST is enjoyable, the art is decent, and the story was an over-all let down. Don't let that stop you from crying.

Also, the OST I kept mentioning:
    Last edited by Takatsuki; 12-13-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks
    This is a pretty cool anime i wish there was more of it though

Hiding under my bed because i'm scared of the big red meanie
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Jun Maeda, fuck this nigga lol.
    I enjoyed Charlotte though

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by +Swaggy View Post
    Jun Maeda, fuck this nigga lol.
    I enjoyed Charlotte though
    His work was all shit. Key was the only thing worth a damn.

Hiding under my bed because i'm scared of the big red meanie
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Takatsuki View Post
    His work was all shit. Key was the only thing worth a damn.
    True lol, Was Angel Beats shit to you too?

Thanks

Forced drama that was supposed to make me cry? No thanks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Takatsuki For This Useful Post:

+Swaggy (01-07-2016)

Thanks

If Angel Beats makes anyone cry, then Clannad After Story leaves you depressed and suicidal.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareka View Post
    If Angel Beats makes anyone cry, then Clannad After Story leaves you depressed and suicidal.
    Jojo's made me cry

MANLY TEARS OF JOY
    Last edited by Empire; 01-08-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Jojo's made me cry

MANLY TEARS OF JOY
    I don't watch jojo's tho..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Stopped watching it after ep 5. It's sheeeeet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terorriser View Post
    Stopped watching it after ep 5. It's sheeeeet.
    Really? I thought some parts of the show were a bit slow, but I enjoyed the show as a whole.