Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

[Review] Kill La Kill is a great anime and deserves a 9/10.

Now I know a lot of people here already like Kill la Kill, but let me point this out: It's not rated highly. It averages an 8, which in the world of "7 is average" that's not very good.

But I give it a 9/10.

Now there is several reasons for this, but the primary reason is that Kill La Kill's authors have what very little of the anime community do, and that's courage.

[Setting]
    In the anime business there are very few anime that do not come from manga/LN as an adaptation, and most of those anime are made to promote the manga. The fact that Trigger came out and made this from scratch is pretty amazing already, but the fact that this anime is set up so well in it's theme is a feat altogether.

The backgrounds in this show at all times look fantastic
    To give an example of the difference: Owari No Seraph. Almost every background in OnS has huge brush-marks. It makes it look like they got all the backgrounds from an ikea painting section.
    The actual THEME for this show(clothing) is present in almost everything imagineable. From the school itself, to the outfits, to the mechs, everything is fitted around this theme and done so very well. Not only that, all the clothing resembles personality, a feat that is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY rare for you to see in any anime.

[Animation]
    Now right here is where the show gets a lot of criticism, but i don't really see it as fair.

Kill la Kill's animation as a whole is much higher than most. Now of course they don't have unlimited budget, so they cheapen some animation points, but there is as a whole, a lot more moving parts than what you'll see on other action anime.(even in the still frame moments).

Now this is not to say that Kill La Kill's animation is "the best" but given the fact that everything still looks and behaves functionally to the show, I have no complaints. There is no "derpy" animation, there is no constant "still picture with mouths barely moving" panned shots. This is a huge thing that many anime have and KLK avoids doing.

To give an example of the difference: In Akame Ga Kill a lot of the "action" is done as a single still frame. Simply pausing the show, adding some minor visuals(like a slash mark). It really takes away from the experience as you get fluid animation and then the finisher is a painting.

[Characters]

Deep? No. Fitting? Yes.

Kill La Kill doesn't take itself deadly serious, so I'm not expecting these drama'd up characters. HOWEVER each character is iconic. Kiryuuin, Ryuko, and Gamagori are probably the most memorable of the cast given their designs and appearance but really all the cast is given ample time and hype to be there.

Again, to quote other anime: There is generally 3 protagonist. 1 major villain and 1 Lieutenant. Most everyone else is cannon fodder. Of the protagonist it's generally 1-main, his right hand, and the mentor.

Kill la Kill's characters (to me) are just more memorable in design/actions. You get a LOT of interactions within this show, a lot more than you'd normally get.

[Soundtrack]
    Amazing. Simply excellent. Fitting themes, a great main-chorus(my body is dry) and a good villain theme(blumenkranz).

So All-in-All if I am giving Kill La Kill a comparative score, I give it a 9/10.

I'm sure you can top it in one or two areas, but very few anime top the final product. (you're welcome to try).
    Last edited by Empire; 01-10-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks
    I enjoyed it and they had a good idea with the crazy school leadership deal, but then they lost me with how that ended, and shortly after made it sisters vs. mother power-up "this was all a plan to get back at our mom". I didn't like that.

None the less, enjoyable.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Takatsuki View Post
    I enjoyed it and they had a good idea with the crazy school leadership deal, but then they lost me with how that ended, and shortly after made it sisters vs. mother power-up "this was all a plan to get back at our mom". I didn't like that.

None the less, enjoyable.
    Well, I for one thought Ragyo was pretty fucking weird.

I mean there is parts in KLK that I don't particularly like. The "money guy" wasn't that entertaining, the episode with the "rich family" wasn't really needed.......

But honestly I can't say that throughout my watch that I was ever saying "oh not this boring trope again.....".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Well, I for one thought Ragyo was pretty fucking weird.

I mean there is parts in KLK that I don't particularly like. The "money guy" wasn't that entertaining, the episode with the "rich family" wasn't really needed.......

But honestly I can't say that throughout my watch that I was ever saying "oh not this boring trope again.....".
    Yeah I enjoyed it all in all, I'm just saying that the transition from pseudo school leader to "I need to stop mommy" was a bit disappointing.

Thanks
    yeah it was a solid watch no doubt.

Thanks
    sweet. its on netflix. i'm going to watch this next.
    -the king of r&b

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Kill la kill was good but not a 9 out a ten. High school dxd deserves a ten. // thread closed

Have I triggered you?

Donator/Premium since May 2015
    Member of MPGH since March 2015

100 Posts [Done]
    300 Posts [Done]
    600 Posts [Done]
    1K. Posts [x]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theanonymoussniffer View Post
    Have I triggered you?
    You wan't me to get baited even though you have a Naruto avatar? You're gonna have to try harder.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    You wan't me to get baited even though you have a Naruto avatar? You're gonna have to try harder.
    Hey! Naruto is good. You will take my bait eventually I'll have to keep triggering you.

100 Posts [Done]
    300 Posts [Done]
    600 Posts [Done]
    1K. Posts [x]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theanonymoussniffer View Post
    Hey! Naruto is good
    You can't bait me. I've been baited too many times already. Posts like this is what used to trigger me, you're gonna have to try much harder.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    You can't bait me. I've been baited too many times already. Posts like this is what used to trigger me, you're gonna have to try much harder.
    I 100% garuantee your favourite genre is romance and slice of life.

100 Posts [Done]
    300 Posts [Done]
    600 Posts [Done]
    1K. Posts [x]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    have it sitting on my self no motivation to watch it
    this is a signature

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daboi22 View Post
    have it sitting on my self no motivation to watch it
    Id say it was the best thing to come out that season. The story was good, the art was basically a replication of TTGL and the OST is amazing. I know a few people- myself included- didn't like where the story went around the 5th-8th(I think, been a while) episode.

Empire's review is pretty solid nonetheless. Its worthy of atleast an 8-9. However if hes grabbing this rating from MAL, they have the worst rating system in man kind.
    Last edited by Takatsuki; 01-20-2016 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Empire's review is pretty solid nonetheless. Its worthy of atleast an 8-9. However if hes grabbing this rating from MAL, they have the worst rating system in man kind.
    MAL's scores are ridiculous.

"I like this anime, 10/10".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

MAL's scores are ridiculous.

"I like this anime, 10/10".
    Even their charts for Top Anime. Something with two episodes out(Erased, for example) will score in the top 15.

Hell, OPM was ranked in the top 10 with an 8.0 before the first episode was even out. I have no idea how they even go to sleep with that system in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast