Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Somewhere where you obviously want to know.
    Thanks

Preparation To Build Your PC

I recently built a couple of computers, approached errors in my plans and fixed them all. To help you avoid these errors which could potentially cost you a lot of money, I'm here to help you prepare to build your PC.

If you're a new builder or an up-grader this thread will help you and don't forget - I'll always be available to private questions, comment or message me on MPGH and I'll reply ASAP.

Please note this is from my experience and this is what I thought about before every PC build.

Let's Get Started!

Why Build A Computer?
    Firstly, it's about motivating yourself to build a computer. A way I got round this was buying a part off the dot. If you have a computer part with no other parts, what are you going to do?
    Building a computer is a great experience and definitely widens your knowledge about computers, benefiting future life. You also get that pleasure when hitting the Power Button for the first time and your PC loads up.

Logic
    Building a computer isn't rocket science, it's just complex LEGO. Motherboards will come with manuals, half of the writing is even displayed on the motherboard for your ease of access.

What PC Parts Do You Need?
    Required Parts
    > CPU
    > Motherboard
    > Case (You could keep your parts on a table in the open, but that would be severely risky)
    > Memory - RAM
    > Memory - Hard Drive
    > An Operating System
    > Power Supply NOTE; DO NOT SKIMP OUT ON THE PSU - It's vital to your PC, if it brakes, so could you PC.
    > Optical Drive (Just to install your operating system)
    and of course a keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Optional, but Highly Recommended, Parts
    > CPU Cooler (CPU should come with a default heat sink/cooler)
    > Extra Storage
    > Sounds Card
    > USB Card
    > GPU (Some CPU's/Motherboards contain integrated graphics, however that's usually Intel HD 4000 graphics or something)

Compatibility
    Be sure to check your PC parts are all compatible with eachother, I recently ran into an error with my motherboard PCI-Express slots and my new graphics card couldn't run with the current motherboard so I had to order a new motherboard.
    A useful site to check compatibility is: System Build - ************
    Be sure to analyse your parts as compatibility is a major aspect to PC building.

Tools (Not PC Parts)
    Collect together the necessary tools nearby, such that they are close to hand. It is advisable at this stage to set up your anti-static precautions.
    Tools I feel are a definite:

> Multiple sets of screwdrivers
    > Cable ties
    > Extra Screws
    > Time
    > Patience

You should be supplied with all the necessary cables and tools for installing certain PC parts in your case. If not, there are plenty of sites where you order parts. (e.g. scan or newegg)

Work Area
    Find a large, clean, well-lit work surface which has two or more mains power outlets nearby (RCD protected, if possible.) You will need space for your monitor, keyboard and mouse and to lay your case on its side, such that you can fit the components etc.
    Avoid carpets and keep to wood surfaces during PC installation and power tests.

Future Proof
    I'm not telling you to go out there and buy high-end equipment, it's just suggested not to go to the bear minimum. Make sure you have extra room for future upgrades as you will get money in the future, spending just $10 more can make your PC future proof when installing a new graphics card.

What Not To Do
    Do not build on carpet
    Do not bend or touch parts of the motherboard and GPU as your oil on your hands corrodes it away.

NOTE: It is actually safer to plug in the power supply to a mains outlet whilst building as the mains outlet will work as the grounding. As long as you don't turn on the mains power it will be safe.
    - Credit and thanks to Doc

If you want me to create any other threads on computer building or anything PC related be sure to ask!
    If anything seems sketchy, needs clearing up or is damn right wrong, please tell me.

Thank you and good luck building!
    Last edited by KidoThe; 03-03-2013 at 07:27 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KidoThe For This Useful Post:

darkangel1 (03-10-2013),Maxedout (03-08-2013)

Thanks
    This is a great thread. Thanks so much. I'll have this tab up when building my PC, along with the NewEgg PC Building guide. You should attach that onto here. Put Part 2 on here of How To Build A PC on Newegg's YouTube. Also PS. You spelt brake wrong, it's break.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    I'd edit the part about not plugging in your computer. It is actually safer to plug in the power supply to a mains outlet whilst building as the mains outlet will work as the grounding. As long as you don't turn on the mains power it will be safe.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I'd edit the part about not plugging in your computer. It is actually safer to plug in the power supply to a mains outlet whilst building as the mains outlet will work as the grounding. As long as you don't turn on the mains power it will be safe.
    1/2 way agreed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Ok thanks for the feedback, editing now ^_^

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hezor Hez View Post
    This is a great thread. Thanks so much. I'll have this tab up when building my PC, along with the NewEgg PC Building guide. You should attach that onto here. Put Part 2 on here of How To Build A PC on Newegg's YouTube. Also PS. You spelt brake wrong, it's break.
    Thank you, I'll try and get a PC installation guide tomorrow as I'll have a new motherboard which basically resets my PC to an abundance of parts. Good luck!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    you forgot an esp mat and an esd wrist strap with lanyard to protect form damaging anything with and electric static discharge during the build and you need pictures on the proper way to handle the parts ram, video card, cpu ect all the parts should be handled by the edges not on any gold connections !!!
    seating ram and video cards apply pressure in this fashion divide the ram into 4 sections 1|2|3|4 put pressure at the line between 1 and 2 and the line between 3 and 4 press down evenly to seat the ram the same goes for the video card refer to the mother boards manual to find out which sata port is the primary port this does matter !!! if anyone does a build and has a problem pm i am good at diagnosis if yo are considering a build and want help on it to get the most for you r money i can help to !!! Thanks for this post it is very good i have built thousands of computers and repaired thousand im just adding to this to help out on this thread

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

wrong you have to ground your body and the computer !!!

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

they sell wrist grounds with alligator clips pretty cheap get an extra double alligator ground and clip it to the body of something plugged in make sure it is lipped to bare metal though!!! and clip the other end to an esd mat
    11.8"x21.6" ANTI-STATIC MAT W/GND CORD - Amazon.com
    note the price for both you will need both !!! i am a certified pc repair tech pure gm certified and iso 9000

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

you have to ground your body !!!! you have to handle parts out of the case !!!! see my post spend 17 dollars and dont fry your parts!!!

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Newegg.com Shopping Cart
    here is one awesome budget gamer play any game with good frames and task very well with a raid setup on the two 400 gig hdds at 7200rpm
    with 8 gigs of ram and a 400 wat psu for the a10 apu unlocked for overclocking !!! good ram to all under 400 dollars with dvd burner !!!
    Last edited by iwiniwin; 03-03-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks
    Buying ESD pads and clips is really not all that necessary. Chances are you will buy it, use it once, and never see it again. Just make sure you are touching pieces of metal (like the case chassis) every once in a while. The ESD bags that they come in should be sufficient enough at mitigating static.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heartview For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Doc (03-04-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep

Thanks
    Thanks man, I didn't realise you were aloud to post outside websites here. Just I can't update for some reason :/ ^_^ Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

@Dave84311 Could I have permission to edit the post again please?

Thanks
    Great thread, thanks!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowzivsky:3 For This Useful Post:

lululala323 (03-08-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowzivsky:3 View Post
    Great thread, thanks!
    You're welcome! Glad you liked it! ^_^

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Good guide, definately deserves a sticky.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxedout For This Useful Post:

KidoThe (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister. View Post
    Good guide, definately deserves a sticky.
    Would absolutely love if it 'twas stickied ^_^ Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks
    @KidoThe, Can you help me out? I need help building a computer (1st time) I have a budget of 1300 dollars, What would you recommend I build?
    Want to learn how to customize your own menu's/write your own scripts? Check out my sticky in the help section
    Or click this link -
    https://www.mpgh.net/forum/696-dayz-h...nto-menus.html
    Quote Originally Posted by typh0 View Post
    the only person that can ban you, is the big chief mr battleye himself. no admin or hacker or player can do this. In addition to this the big chief mr battleye will ban you based on the bypasser you're using NOT what scripts you are using.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darkangel1 View Post
    @KidoThe, Can you help me out? I need help building a computer (1st time) I have a budget of 1300 dollars, What would you recommend I build?
    Will you be needing extra monitors, keyboard mouse etc anything like that? Any particular parts you want and any particular games you'll be playing? (Or just tell me if it's CPU/GPU or a mixmatch) and most importantly AMD/Intel or not bothered?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast