Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Religion? Pointless?

I feel as though religion is pointless and for simple minded individuals. How do you feel about it?

Thanks
    We all have beliefs, it's impossible to not have any, some people believe a superior entity is responsible for our universe... and some people believe the universe pretty much blew up into existence.

I believe in God and I don't think it's for simple minded individuals, it's hard to maintain a constant belief in something that is super hard to believe in.

(although some religious people ARE simple minded individuals, but that has no corelation with their beliefs. ex. the folks over at Westboro Baptist Church, or the athiests claiming to be conducting the crusade against religion.)
    Last edited by AndyDuhAwesome; 08-04-2015 at 09:50 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyDuhAwesome For This Useful Post:

Gaydow (08-13-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyDuhAwesome View Post
    I believe in God and I don't think it's for simple minded individuals, it's hard to maintain a constant belief in something that is super hard to believe in.
    Ok. Why do you believe in God?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

Lunatic (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

For most people it gives them hope in times of desperation and pretty much when they have nothing else to lean on.

Thanks

I wrote a long answer to this then realized how stupidly long my answer was and deleted it, my short answer is I don't know why I believe in God.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I wrote a long answer to this then realized how stupidly long my answer was and deleted it, my short answer is I don't know why I believe in God.
    I don't mean to be rude, but in a debate forum saying "I don't know" is an insufficient reason to believe in a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatenashi Sarashiki. View Post
    For most people it gives them hope in times of desperation and pretty much when they have nothing else to lean on.
    That sounds more like the need for therapy than a reason to believe in a deity.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

Lunatic (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    As a born christian i belive there is something "more superior" but Christanity as a religion...fu*k that.
    Thats just my opinion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ivangaspar For This Useful Post:

GerrysamHD (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Okay, i feel as religon is for simple minded people because they think they know what is out there. they think they know there is something out there. Religon is something used for people to shout there opinions out while being anonymous such as the old testament where the leviticus proves that the person who wrote it didnt know why menstration happened so they labeled it as bad. This proves that people tend to create or label things so they dont have to fear or believe that there is an unknown. Simply my opinion.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful

I don't mean to be rude, but in a debate forum saying "I don't know" is an insufficient reason to believe in a god.

That sounds more like the need for therapy than a reason to believe in a deity.
    Religion gives people answers for the questions we do not know, and most likely will never know, Can you say there is no "Being" or "Thing" that controls the universe and everything we know and see for all we know we could just be its playthings it has create for entertainment or we could be characters in a game. We could be alive by accident or by the laws of a divine "being". even if you are not religious can you not say that the universe itself is our "God" because it is our creator and you cannot say the universe doesn't have a mind of its own, religion exists for many different reasons and for many different groups it is very different. Religion is many things, but it is not pointless.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by GerrysamHD View Post
    Religion gives people answers for the questions we do not know, and most likely will never know
    Ok right here you are stating that religious people are just making shit up.
    (your words not mine).
    Can you say there is no "Being" or "Thing" that controls the universe and everything we know and see for all we know we could just be its playthings it has create for entertainment or we could be characters in a game.
    Well I don't think we should just believe in whatever rubbish someone makes up. I mean we should have standards upon which we believe things right?

We could be alive by accident or by the laws of a divine "being". even if you are not religious can you not say that the universe itself is our "God" because it is our creator and you cannot say the universe doesn't have a mind of its own, religion exists for many different reasons and for many different groups it is very different. Religion is many things, but it is not pointless.
    Again, these are all just random concepts. All without practical use as therapy has shown better results on a more consistent basis.

"We are all created by Gary the snail!" -Look, you can't prove me wrong!

[Not having a reason for belief in a God]

You are here in a debate forum. If you don't even have a reason or argument, you lose.

Thanks

You are here in a debate forum. If you don't even have a reason or argument, you lose.

for one thing it's called faith, that's literally it's name. Many people think they can 'disprove' religion with science, when in reality religion doesn't work in opposition against common logic, that'd be dumb. Athiests often say 'I'm supposed to believe a magical man made the universe with his magic powers and creates every person and animal himself?' No you aren't supposed to believe that it's a story made up it didn't really happen, the most likely cause of our universe is a big explosion most people know as The Big Bang, science doesn't disprove religion and religion doesn't disprove science anyone who thinks that knows nothing about their religion and I'd like to personally say to them, Go fuck yourself.

now to respond to some of the things you said in that same comment.

"Ok right here you are stating that religious people are just making stuff up." Well you could easily respond with that to what I wrote just now. That person didn't say anything about us making stuff up, they said religious people find answers in their religion which they do... it exists to give you answers.

"Well I don't think we should believe in whatever rubbish someone makes up." You don't have to believe in this 'rubbish' it's here to help you, if you don't want this help then don't take it lol.

"I think we should have standards on things we believe in" Well your standards are physical proof, which FAITH cannot provide because I doubt you are buying my your existence is proof comment I made earlier lmao.

"Again, these are all just random concepts. All without practical use as therapy has shown better results on a more consistent basis" Random concepts maybe but they do have a common theme, good morals? Bibles of all types have tonnes of practical use, for example with the catholic bible, be nice, don't judge people, everyone's equal, etc etc. I'd say the billions of religious people living good lives and being good people in general are pretty good results, although this is another case where you are expecting physical proof on the concept of FAITH.

"We are all created by Gary the snail!" I don't believe you, but I'm not going to try to change your mind because you seem pretty dedicated to Gary, and if he's real he seems like a nice guy.

Have a nice day.

"'But I don't believe, Father, I am an athiest!' But do good, we will meet one another there." -Pope Francis.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Ok right here you are stating that religious people are just making shit up.
    (your words not mine).

Well I don't think we should just believe in whatever rubbish someone makes up. I mean we should have standards upon which we believe things right?

Again, these are all just random concepts. All without practical use as therapy has shown better results on a more consistent basis.

"We are all created by Gary the snail!" -Look, you can't prove me wrong!

Ok, The thing with religion is the text that religion is based on was made for people in that time period to understand, for example if there was a god and he wanted (i'm using he just cause i have to use something) to send his commandments to Noah and allow only Noah to see them why would he create new elements and not just use radioactive elements and make Noah immune, basically what i'm trying to say is Religion is based on fact and fairy tale for the people of the time to understand, I'm not saying that all religious people are "making shit up" I'm saying that some are just believing the story's' of the ancient world made for the people of that time to understand and not the present.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Ok, The thing with religion is the text that religion is based on was made for people in that time period to understand, for example if there was a god and he wanted (i'm using he just cause i have to use something) to send his commandments to Noah and allow only Noah to see them why would he create new elements and not just use radioactive elements and make Noah immune, basically what i'm trying to say is Religion is based on fact and fairy tale for the people of the time to understand, I'm not saying that all religious people are "making shit up" I'm saying that some are just believing the story's' of the ancient world made for the people of that time to understand and not the present.
    This is called an "argument from ignorance" in modern terminology, more appropriately "God of the Gaps".

What happens is a person does not know what caused what. So they implement a god or "the god" as an explanation.

for one thing it's called faith, that's literally it's name.
    Actually for now, just define faith.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Empire; 08-11-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    [COLOR="Black"]
    Also lol at "faith" as an actual argument. This how you commit suicide in a debate, admit that you don't have a reason for your side to be right.
    In a debate about faith it's hard not to use faith as an argument. I have a reason I just don't have physical evidence I can give to you that would be of any effect to you.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    In a debate about faith it's hard not to use faith as an argument. I have a reason I just don't have physical evidence I can give to you that would be of any effect to you.
    Define faith.......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast