Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

College vs. Professional Career

If you were presented with a very lucrative opportunity at a young age would you forgo college/further education to take said opportunity?

I graduated high school at the age of 17 in 2002 and received a full engineering scholarship to Embry-Riddle University down on Daytona Beach. They are the #1 in university in the aerospace and aviation studies. Shortly after graduation a very close family member passed away and I decided to take a semester off. That semester turned into many. While I was in high school I worked as a telemarketer for a mortgage brokerage firm and I decided to go back to work for them. I worked hard and was promoted to Loan Officer and closed my first loan before my 18th birthday. Now, 7 years later after starting my own business, I'm pretty much done working.

So my question to you is:
    If you knew you had a guaranteed route to success would you still further your education? This is rather similar to the age old question: should lottery winners return to work?

I'm asking because I have no reason to go back to school but I'm wondering if I should.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    I'd continue my education in that situation. But I just enjoy higher education, it really depends on whether or not you really want to get your engineering degree.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    I too would have to agree with Paroxysm. Pursuing and accomplishing your original goal would be a most pleasurable experience.
    Caltech -Theoretical physics

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    continue education
    cuz the lucrative ooprtunity may not last long
    and may not be a consisten field

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by ROUGHS3X View Post
    If you were presented with a very lucrative opportunity at a young age would you forgo college/further education to take said opportunity?

I graduated high school at the age of 17 in 2002 and received a full engineering scholarship to Embry-Riddle University down on Daytona Beach. They are the #1 in university in the aerospace and aviation studies. Shortly after graduation a very close family member passed away and I decided to take a semester off. That semester turned into many. While I was in high school I worked as a telemarketer for a mortgage brokerage firm and I decided to go back to work for them. I worked hard and was promoted to Loan Officer and closed my first loan before my 18th birthday. Now, 7 years later after starting my own business, I'm pretty much done working.

If you knew you had a guaranteed route to success would you still further your education? This is rather similar to the age old question: should lottery winners return to work?

I'm asking because I have no reason to go back to school but I'm wondering if I should.
    Nothing is ever guaranteed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ROUGHS3X View Post

You have EVERY reason to go back to school. You have no idea how many kids are in your situation, and take the supposed "awesome failsafe work route", are successful for a few years, and then fail. One job won't last forever. You WILL lose it. After you do, what will you have to show for it? A reference that may not even exist anymore? You'll be fucked. You have an amazing shot at success THROUGH SCHOOL. That is a great university, you will get a great degree. Take that opportunity, because you WILL regret it later. You're young, so you don't understand this, but listen to me when i say: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GUARUNTEED SUCCESS. If you give up a SCHOLARSHIP to an amazing university to work at some stupid job, you're a moron. DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DO IT. It will be the biggest mistake of your life, mark my words

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ace76543 For This Useful Post:

ROUGHS3X (01-15-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Pfft, yeah good speech there guys.

I'd take the money end if it was final.

College, meh, you don't actually "learn" much in terms of real world application. Its more just on theory and thinking structure. Some of these people aren't even at college, so its hard for them to say anything but to blindly follow school.

IF i could just take the classes of my interest, i would go. If i was made to take all sorts of classes(like i am now) that don't even apply to the real world, i wouldn't.

Thanks
    College is for people who have the desire to receive higher education whether it applies to the real world or not which I believe most forms of education are beneficial to the real world. Maybe not the extra stuff in high school such as P.E but usually the courses of your major apply to what you are going for which would apply to the real world.

Also, there are many institutions/trade schools which allow you to focus primarily in the field of work you are interested in. Those schools also require Math and English courses as well but rightfully so because they are an essential part of life. Point is, you always learn something from proper education and for those who enjoy the challenge and seek the gratifying feeling of excelling, then college is always a great choice
    Caltech -Theoretical physics

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    College has a ton of classes "required" that don't even relate to your major.

And college math isn't necessary in life. I can go and ask any adult if college algebra has helped them any. 8/10 will say no. Upon asking them how 2-3 of my old homework problems could apply to the real world, none of them said it could.

Simply put its about "getting a rounded education" which means you take classes that won't help you or apply to you, but might help your study skills.