Thread: School...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful

School...

So i don't know about you guys but i don't remember or use 75% of the things i learned at school. I spent 16 years of my life in school and i have to say i'v learned more from the last 5 months in cadet school than i did in those 16 years (This is from someone who has 10 GCSEs) School in the UK is exreamly easy and the learning is more about learning to pass tests than actually learning for skills. Anyway I'm just wondering if its like this in other countries or if its just in the UK (I'v asked some other people from the UK England, Scotland wales etc and they agree with me). So yea, Do you guys actually learn things in school or is it learning to pass more than "Learning" ?

TL;DR School in the UK shit, Whats it like in other countries?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GerrysamHD For This Useful Post:

grudsom (11-27-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    To be honest I felt the same way up till about year 10. Some things I can see where I will use in life but others I didn't. When I got to my senior years, 11 and 12, I honestly think I'm going to use 90% of what I've learnt. However, I needed all those pointless, dumb things I learnt in year 10 and under to do what I could in my senior years. You need to know how to walk before you can run.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Priaros View Post
    To be honest I felt the same way up till about year 10. Some things I can see where I will use in life but others I didn't. When I got to my senior years, 11 and 12, I honestly think I'm going to use 90% of what I've learnt. However, I needed all those pointless, dumb things I learnt in year 10 and under to do what I could in my senior years. You need to know how to walk before you can run.
    [Going to use age so its easier to understand]

For me it was the opposite, i felt like what i learned when i was younger 5-12 was useful how to read how to do basic mathematics etc, As soon as i got to secondary school at 13 we started to get taught how to pass tests instead of how to use information like for english it was learn this in X to pass Y and in math and science is was grind work, the only subjects i learned how to apply information for life was in ecnomics and buisness studies i felt like the more time i spent on the cores like Math, science and english the less it was about learning and more about passing.

Thats why i signed up for cadet school, I'm now learning how to apply the things i'm learning in the field etc instead of learning to pass. Things like First Aid Commanding a squad or platoon tactics basic explosive training etc. But mabye if i went on to go into accounting it might have been the same i can't say.

Thanks
    School here is shit too.
    Need a custom image title? Check out my thread

Thanks
    same shit every where just a waste of time

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GerrysamHD View Post
    So i don't know about you guys but i don't remember or use 75% of the things i learned at school. I spent 16 years of my life in school and i have to say i'v learned more from the last 5 months in cadet school than i did in those 16 years (This is from someone who has 10 GCSEs) School in the UK is exreamly easy and the learning is more about learning to pass tests than actually learning for skills. Anyway I'm just wondering if its like this in other countries or if its just in the UK (I'v asked some other people from the UK England, Scotland wales etc and they agree with me). So yea, Do you guys actually learn things in school or is it learning to pass more than "Learning" ?

TL;DR School in the UK shit, Whats it like in other countries?
    There are obviously necessary things you learn in school, but the system is dated and i'll explain briefly why. Here on the other side of the pond most kids will spend 13 to 14 years in school, depending if they do pre-school or not.

So you spend 13 years of youth in school, you graduate high school and .... congratulations, your qualified to work at McDonald's.... a job that won't make your ends meet in most areas and you'll have to get a 2nd job like it... Or you can go to College for just 4 more years and suddenly you have a piece of paper that sais your smart and will open up higher paying jobs. Ironically many of these jobs you don't actually need College for, you just need a piece of paper that sais you went to College.

After many kids now finally graduate College they are in their early to mid 20's and haven't worked their main field yet. It's such a wasteful system. I have no idea why (Actually, i do know why) kids aren't screened several times during their mid to late teens with aptitude tests showing the kids their strengths in life and why more companies don't do better internship/training programs where young people learn hands on rather than having us waste so many early years learning shit we'll never use.

Just imo, and most people disagree with me liking our current system. Cheers

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I fucking hate school

MPGH Member Level 1 May 2014
    MPGH Donator May 2015
    MPGH Premium Member December 2015
    MPGH News Force Interviewer July 2016 - October 2017
    MPGH Member Level 2 August 2016
    MPGH Premium Seller March 2017
    MPGH Dave's Ballsack Rag - Unknown
    MPGH Realm of the Mad God Minion December 2017 - December 2018

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky

[Going to use age so its easier to understand]

For me it was the opposite, i felt like what i learned when i was younger 5-12 was useful how to read how to do basic mathematics etc, As soon as i got to secondary school at 13 we started to get taught how to pass tests instead of how to use information like for english it was learn this in X to pass Y and in math and science is was grind work, the only subjects i learned how to apply information for life was in ecnomics and buisness studies i felt like the more time i spent on the cores like Math, science and english the less it was about learning and more about passing.

Thats why i signed up for cadet school, I'm now learning how to apply the things i'm learning in the field etc instead of learning to pass. Things like First Aid Commanding a squad or platoon tactics basic explosive training etc. But mabye if i went on to go into accounting it might have been the same i can't say.
    Truth. UK system doesn't teach you much for life, I'd enjoy going to cadet school myself, but I don't have parental approval :/ Do you go to cadet school in the UK?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    the learning is more about learning to pass tests than actually learning for skills.
    That's literally what the American school system is. Each state is graded on test scores so the state's learning programs adapt to give higher scores (Because generally it means more pay to the better schools). They seriously don't give a shit, all teachers and their learning programs are set to make you get ready for a test as opposed to skill-set.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    School in Germany is absolute garbage aswell.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    more about learning to pass tests than actually learning for skills
    Couldn't agree with you more. Doing my IG's as well but in the Middle East.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashyz View Post
    Truth. UK system doesn't teach you much for life, I'd enjoy going to cadet school myself, but I don't have parental approval :/ Do you go to cadet school in the UK?
    I live in Northern Ireland so i'm a duel British & Irish Citizen, I go to cadet school in the republic of Ireland

Thanks
    Im student medical college - this high

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    It ain't any better in the US. Same thing, you are taught to pass test, thats it. They don't require any life skill courses to pass high school. And they are always pushing college (university) on students, saying how its soooo important that you pick a college and figure out what you want to do once you pick one. Your entire final year of high school isn't to prepare you for the real world, its to prepare you for college so you can take more test and drown in school loans. Pretty sure everyone knows how ridiculously priced education is in the States. By your 4th year you are gonna be at least 40k in debt.

I work at a gas station making $15/hr and my job is easy as fuck. I don't make crazy money, but I make enough to get all the things I want in life plus a little extra. I don't understand why anyone would want to willingly go 40k in debt. There are plenty of high paying jobs out there that dont require a stupid degree. If you ask me, school is a joke. I haven't used any of that shit since I left.

"Dab is a Shitposting Retard" - Boombox 2016

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Assistive For This Useful Post:

Logic (11-28-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Just feel like you are parrot learning in school it comes in one end and goes out the other :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast