Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Realm Shifter, My Vision for the Future of RotMG

Realm Shifter and Introduction

(sorry for posting in private servers section on accident mods) :'(

Hello, I'm Gratin. I've been playing rotmg since like 3-4 years ago, all though not at all continually. In this thread I'm going to explain my vision for the future of RotMG and private servers, as well as the steps I'm going to take to make it a reality. I hope the community here will pitch some great ideas and join the discussion.

First, a little bit about myself. I started off with very little knowledge of reverse engineering and programming, and often came off as a very nooby script kiddy, however I think I've come a long way with my programming abilities, even though when it comes to working with the flash client I'm still the commenter asking "how do i donwlaod the fre h4x plz thx " compared to some of the many great people I've met in the rotmg mpgh community, namely KrazyShank, iObsidian, FuryHunter (never really talked to him much, but his source code sure helps), MarinePower, Flyrocket, deVoidCoder and Trollaux (jk get rekt).

On to Realm Shifter, my next long-term project. Realm Shifter will be an open source java client for RotMG, and any games like it. The goal is to be as modular as possible separating the client and game-specific stuff like items, textures, objects etc. Basically it will download a packaged form of all of these resources and game rules etc. from the server, and the client will use it. The best real world example of something like this that I've seen is minecraft. The modding community is huge and the amount of plugins and texture packs surrounding the game astounds me. The fact that this one game became so much more than just one game but a whole platform for many different games is what motivates me to make something similar for realm. Realm of the Mad God is dying, but I still love the concept of the game, and I think I always will. I hope to build a whole new open source community for RotMG like games. I know it is a long shot, but even if it takes several years or even more this will probably always be my main hobby project.

Design Goals and Decisions

Let's start with some obvious questions. Why java? (might use scala/groovy not sure) Because its the language I'm most comfortable with and I love LibGDX. LibGDX uses gradle for dependencies and makes development really easy for crossplatform. We can easily port it to ios/android/html in the future with just a few lines of code. Playing rotmg or on another server on a tablet might be pretty cool if we ever get to that point.

What's the first step? I've taken it upon myself to update jOryx, an open source java client for RotMG built using jme3 mainly as a way to learn more about the RotMG networking and how to go about building a 2.5d game/camera. I will open up another thread, which will be a communal discussion/development thread for updating jOryx. I will post all the source code I have for realm shifter and updating jOryx (currently I can get it to show your character in game from another client for 10 seconds before dcing, but neither chat nor graphics work).

All source code for Realm Shifter will be provided under this license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ (no commercial use just yet, I'm not completely sure in my decision to allow commercial use and which types to allow)

I will make my Realm Shifter repository public, as well as create a jOryx repository and an mpgh thread for discussion/development of updating joryx as soon as I get home.

TL;DR: This is a post explaining my project and ideas and thoughts behind it, called realm shifter which will be a java client for rotmg and other private servers. Nothing has been done yet, we're starting with updating joryx.

Relevant Links
    jOryx Community Development Thread: https://www.mpgh.net/forum/showthread...3#post11216413
    gjOryx Community Development ******: https://******.com/AMPBEdu/gjOryx
    Last edited by Gratin; 12-09-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanFalterJr View Post
    Vouch for Gratin, he went first, i gave him the items. Easy trader trustworthy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gratin For This Useful Post:

Alde. (03-15-2017)

Thanks
    Sounds like a good concept. 99% of these "vision" and "my future project" posts never see the light of day.

Be the 1%.
    yikes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kasukali For This Useful Post:

superhazza (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by kasukali View Post
    Sounds like a good concept. 99% of these "vision" and "my future project" posts never see the light of day.

Be the 1%.
    This is true, however this is going to be my main project throughout school. If it works out great if it doesn't I have something to put on my resume. I have a lot of motivation to work on this <3

Thanks
    I believe this is possible, so keep working until you accomplish your goal. You can do it.

Thanks
    there is already InputFalse with his client https://www.mpgh.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1011667

and why u got from flash to java lel, use c++, im learn it at school

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by ReySharlLel View Post
    there is already InputFalse with his client https://www.mpgh.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1011667

That is Scellows client, inputFalse just linked the youtube video to it on a thread because Scellow is banned from MPGH.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by ReySharlLel View Post

Wow that looks really cool, however the source code isn't released and doesn't look like there is a plan to release it. I'm using java mainly cause LibGDX and it's really easy to cross platform.
    Last edited by Gratin; 12-10-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    So this is like a private server?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSyrup View Post
    So this is like a private server?
    Eventually it will be a client for both private servers and regular rotmg. It will have some very cool stuff like texture packs a whole new user interface and just generally a way better client than the flash one that rotmg provides.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratin View Post
    Eventually it will be a client for both private servers and regular rotmg. It will have some very cool stuff like texture packs a whole new user interface and just generally a way better client than the flash one that rotmg provides.
    Good job. It would be nice to see a Java coded client rather than the current Flash client
    News Force Head Editor from 09/14/2018 - 03/02/2020
    Publicist from 11/23/2017 - 06/07/2019
    Global Moderator since 09/24/2017
    Minion+ from 04/16/2017 - 09/24/2017
    Market Place Minion from 04/16/2017 - 09/24/2017
    Minecraft Minion from 02/23/2017 - 09/24/2017
    Realm of the Mad God Minion from 11/06/2016 - 09/24/2017

Middleman from 09/14/2016 - 09/24/2017
    News Force Editor from 08/23/2016 - 09/14/2018
    News Force (Section of the Week) from 03/21/2016 - 07/17/2017
    News Force (User News) from 10/18/2015 - 09/14/2018

Donator since 03/16/2015
    Realm of the Mad God Editor from 05/20/2014 - 07/08/2014
    Member since 12/23/2012

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Sheep View Post

Good job. It would be nice to see a Java coded client rather than the current Flash client
    Its coming along pretty well, will be releasing a graphic-less client soon

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    I hope you can continue to develop this, sounds amazing.

Thanks
    So you can connect to prod and stuff, just Java instead of Flash? How will that impact the game? Less lag I hope.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Yes. It will be less laggy (hopefully) also crossplatform (I intend to design an input for tablets so you can play on any android device). And you get a lot more control so there can be texture packs and reskins easily implemented. It will also be able to connect to private servers that are developed to be compatible with realm-shifter. Hopefully a whole community will be built around modding the client and server so then there will be tons of games that you can play with realm shifter. Maybe there will be pvp servers or minigame servers or anything really kinda like in minecraft. Also, I intend to release a server (open source) after I've got realm-shifter in a good position.
    Last edited by Gratin; 12-19-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
    I think you can do it!!!