Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

This one is for the people with anxiety/depression

Before we get too far into it, why am I sharing it on a gaming site?
    Well actually, playing video games is a suppressant to anxiety and/or depression. Meaning you might play games because you're upset, so you distract yourself without actually dealing with the problem. Keep in mind this isn't always bad.

I've suffered from depression/anxiety in the past. In year 10 my best friend killed himself, which led on depression and anxiety. I have extensively studied both subjects, as well as been through both of them. Please keep in mind my condition wasn't severe, it was mild, and everyone deals with them differently. So what I will state further into this, may not apply to all.

Depression

What is depression?
    The official use of the word depression, which is often diagnosed as 'major depressive disorder', is used if these feelings persist for longer than two weeks and start to get in the way of your everyday life.

DEPRESSION ≠SADNESS.
    Depression is a mental condition, sadness is an emotion. Just because you are upset does not mean you have depression. Actually a lot of people who suffer from depression don't feel sad, they don't feel happiness, they just feel overall numb.

How do people cope with depression?
    I wish I could tell you. However, everyone deals with it differently. I personally ignored it and dove into the wonderful world of video games until it got to a point where I was diagnosed with Opportunistic Suicidal Tendencies, meaning if I saw a chance to kill myself, I would definitely consider it.

The two things I can tell you with certainty is don't ignore the problem, if you show symptoms of depression, or you know you're depressed. See someone about it, it saved my life.
    The second thing, is do not suppress it, there's a difference to distracting yourself when you're upset, to becoming addicted to a bad habit, a drug, to avoid dealing with it.

A friend of mine has depression, what do I do?
    Make sure your friend talks to a professional about it. He/she can talk to you too, but remember to very careful in what you say as it may just trigger a thought process in their brain that does not have a pretty outcome. Professionals are trained to know what to say and how to deal with certain situations, you are not, do not pretend you are. Lend a hand to the friend, talk to them about their problems, as long as you get them to talk to a professional.
    If you lend them a hand without them seeing a professional about it, the outcomes can be bad for you too.

In the end, if you suffer from depression, please see a professional.

Anxiety Disorder

What is Anxiety Disorder?
    "Everyone feels anxious sometimes – worried or afraid of something happening, or obsessed about something happening in a certain way. When that fear or anxiety becomes something that gets in the way of your life (school or work, relationships, ability to enjoy things or cope), doesn’t go away and causes you distress, that is when it could be a more serious anxiety disorder." (Reachout, Australia).

If you're having high anxiety levels, or a panic attack make sure you focus on your breathing, as it does get out of hand, even without you realising. Sync your breathing with this gif and it will generally help.

How do people cope with anxiety?
    Anxiety doesn't have a definite answer on how to cope with it, just like depression. What people commonly do when they're feeling anxious is go outside, have a breather, distract themselves (it's okay to distract yourself during times of high anxiety).

A friend of mine has Anxiety Disorder, what do I do?
    Be there for them, make sure they know nothing will happen and they're alright. Try to distract them until they they calm down, make sure they focus on their breathing, make them go outside to breath fresh air. Get them water, just be there for them.
    Don't tell them to 'calm down', that will not work.
    Ultimately, make sure they do see a professional about their anxiety, as anxiety can lead to serious physical problems such as cardiovasuclar disease.

Here are some people to call if you're not feeling well and need someone to talk to, I'll link as many as possible from around the world. However if I don't link one that you can use, you can always Google as I'm sure you have access to at least one.

Australia
    https://www.thesamaritans.org.au/?gcl...cHIaAndA8P8HAQ
    https://www.sane.org/get-help

America
    https://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
    https://www.crisistextline.org/

England
    https://www.papyrus-uk.org/
    https://www.thecalmzone.net/

If you're ever in need, please message me ASAP. I will find time to talk to you, I have already seen too many lives lost due to these two conditions.

Thank you.
    Last edited by %&Ursgart23__faf; 07-13-2016 at 05:29 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to %&Ursgart23__faf For This Useful Post:

Charion (07-13-2016),wan (07-14-2016),faphub (07-14-2016),Kate (07-13-2016),Kiesa- (07-13-2016),Lift (07-13-2016),Tae (07-13-2016),ZetaDarus (07-14-2016)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    @Snoopy but alot of the times when people use video games as a suppresion they also sometimes get mad at the game

Premium Member 22/4/16
    Steam Minion 22/12/2017
    OFPS Minion 5/2/2019
    MMO Minion 5/2/2019
    Minion+ 5/2/2019
    Mod 8/11/2020
    Retired 3/10/2022
    22 / Dec 7, 2001

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ally For This Useful Post:

Lunatic (07-13-2016)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister J View Post
    @Snoopy but alot of the times when people use video games as a suppresion they also sometimes get mad at the game
    Making it even worse.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Making it even worse.
    yes correct

Premium Member 22/4/16
    Steam Minion 22/12/2017
    OFPS Minion 5/2/2019
    MMO Minion 5/2/2019
    Minion+ 5/2/2019
    Mod 8/11/2020
    Retired 3/10/2022
    22 / Dec 7, 2001

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    @Snoppy will this help depression
    https://i.imgur.com/9cYLMek.gifv

Premium Member 22/4/16
    Steam Minion 22/12/2017
    OFPS Minion 5/2/2019
    MMO Minion 5/2/2019
    Minion+ 5/2/2019
    Mod 8/11/2020
    Retired 3/10/2022
    22 / Dec 7, 2001

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    I believe in depression being treatable. I firmly believe it's up to the person suffering to figure it out for themselves. I myself have tried counseling many times and it's never worked even a little bit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
    I believe in depression being treatable. I firmly believe it's up to the person suffering to figure it out for themselves. I myself have tried counseling many times and it's never worked even a little bit.
    So what if you're a conservative trapped in your basement sitting fetal position holding onto your last dollar so you don't die poor? Are you expected to just go outside be a liberal?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:

Confluency (07-14-2016)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dab1996426 View Post
    So what if you're a conservative trapped in your basement sitting fetal position holding onto your last dollar so you don't die poor? Are you expected to just go outside be a liberal?
    My eyes hurt trying to read whatever you just said. Literally makes no sense.

Thanks

My eyes hurt trying to read whatever you just said. Literally makes no sense.
    Being depressed, and conservative 9/10 means you're going to kys.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Being depressed, and conservative 9/10 means you're going to kys.
    Like I said, I don't believe in depression. I'm just an evil person, get used to it. I'd let you die in my streets if it meant I get to pay less taxes and you know it.

Thanks

Like I said, I don't believe in depression. I'm just an evil person, get used to it. I'd let you die in my streets if it meant I get to pay less taxes and you know it.
    What would you do if your kid was bullied at school?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    What would you do if your kid was bullied at school?
    My kids will never be bullied in school. My family isn't a group of pussies and never will be. If anything, my kid will bully the shit out of yours.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:

Ally (07-13-2016),Drama (07-13-2016),Lift (07-13-2016)

Thanks

My kids will never be bullied in school. My family isn't a group of pussies and never will be. If anything, my kid will bully the shit out of yours.
    This was my point, you have no reasoning for how to deal with problems you simply wish would not happen.

Things you do not want to happen or expect to happen will happen. That is how life works, you may think or want to feel you are strong and powerful, but in reality you are a puny pleb who is no different from the other million people just like you. You are prone to injustice just as anyone else is. The real problem here is you are a primitive thinker. You honestly believe might prevails over intelligence, there is a reason why we won our independence from britian. We were heavily out armed and manned, but we had the will of the people which is the strongest force on earth. We defeated the world power at that time and became our own.

The point is your sense of strength is a weakness. Expecting things to always go your way is a sign of ignorance and a weak heart.

Edit: Lol I've really hurt you haven't I?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    This was my point, you have no reasoning for how to deal with problems you simply wish would not happen.

Things you do not want to happen or expect to happen will happen. That is how life works, you may think or want to feel you are strong and powerful, but in reality you are a puny pleb who is no different from the other million people just like you. You are prone to injustice just as anyone else is. The real problem here is you are a primitive thinker. You honestly believe might prevails over intelligence, there is a reason why we won our independence from britian. We were heavily out armed and manned, but we had the will of the people which is the strongest force on earth. We defeated the world power at that time and became our own.

The point is your sense of strength is a weakness. Expecting things to always go your way is a sign of ignorance and a weak heart.

Edit: Lol I've really hurt you haven't I?

Strong > Weak

OT:
    Depression isn't a real issue because there is no cure and there's many verities of it. Even talking to a professional can be a total waste of money (100$ or more for an hour), unless fully covered by insurance. There's no pills that can fix it, despite what commercials might tell you. At the end of the day it's up to the person suffering to fix their own issues within themselves. There's help, but there is no cure, so why consider it a problem instead of something normal most people go through?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Strong > Weak

OT:
    Depression isn't a real issue because there is no cure and there's many verities of it. Even talking to a professional can be a total waste of money (100$ or more for an hour), unless fully covered by insurance. There's no pills that can fix it, despite what commercials might tell you. At the end of the day it's up to the person suffering to fix their own issues within themselves. There's help, but there is no cure, so why consider it a problem instead of something normal most people go through?
    What he said. I was bullied in school for being physically weaker than others, it was ongoing for years, so I decided to man up, not be a pussy and become both superior physically and intellectually to these plebeian tier bullies. Now they don't even try to touch me but want me to be their friend instead, pretty funny how it works. This world is a dog eat dog world, no one wants to be left behind, so they'll do anything to get successful. I learned it the hard way and so should people with depression

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lupin For This Useful Post:

Lunatic (07-13-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast